It is currently Fri Oct 02, 2026 9:13 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: [Marine Preservation] S.S. Norway departs Bremerhaven
PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2005 1:49 pm 
User avatar

Joined: Sun Aug 22, 2004 1:45 am
Posts: 1138
Location: Beaumont, Texas
As seen in the pictures below, S.S. Norway (ex S.S. France) left her dock at Bremerhaven, Germany a few hours ago: http://www.schiffsphoto.de/HTM/Cruise/N ... way.htmThe same tug that towed her from Miami to Bremerhaven is taking her to an uncertain future in the far east.In an event that was probably planned by Norweigen Cruise Lines, she passed the new-built Pride of America on her way out. Not planned, but appropiate to many, the weather turned from sunny to driving rain as the change of guard took place.-James Hefner Hebrews 10:20a Surviving World Steam Project


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: [Marine Preservation] S.S. Norway departs Bremerhaven
PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2005 8:52 pm 

Joined: Sun Aug 22, 2004 11:26 am
Posts: 4777
Location: Maine
Great website, James. I took particular notice of the French mural of the ark, distinguished with the France's distinguishing stacks and colors. A touch of her best years remaining. How we shall miss her, and the hopeless hope that she might once again ply the North Atlantic.

_________________
"It's only impossible until it's done." -Nelson Mandela


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: [Marine Preservation] S.S. Norway departs Bremerhaven
PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2005 8:57 pm 

Joined: Sun Aug 22, 2004 3:24 pm
Posts: 169
Location: Litchfield, MN.
Those are the saddest photos of an inanimate object I've seen in a long time. That shot of the stern as she departs on her last journey was really depressing. Truly the end of an era.Mark D.


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: [Marine Preservation] S.S. Norway departs Bremerhaven
PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2005 9:14 pm 

Joined: Sun Aug 22, 2004 8:50 am
Posts: 489
Location: Columbia, MD
Question for James, Mark & others more in the know than I:What I've been reading is that she is to be a stationary, or perhaps moving casino. I've been following this story closely, and are the casino owners really fronting for the scrap merchants of Alang?This inquiring mind wants to know more.If she is indeed on her way to the scrap beaches of India or Bangladesh, then these photos are heartbreakers indeed.


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: [Marine Preservation] S.S. Norway departs Bremerhaven
PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2005 9:37 pm 

Joined: Sun Aug 22, 2004 7:38 am
Posts: 1013
Location: Philadelphia
Any S.S. United States updates? Or is it situation normal? I'm near Philly and still have yet to go find her.Joshua


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: [Marine Preservation] S.S. Norway departs Bremerhaven
PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2005 12:19 am 

Joined: Sun Aug 22, 2004 11:12 am
Posts: 578
Location: Somewhere off the coast of New England
Joshua K. Blay wrote:
Any S.S. United States updates? Or is it situation normal? I'm near Philly and still have yet to go find her.Joshua
You can see her stacks from I-95 North after you pass the sports complex. If you simply go down to the CP Rail terminal off of Packer Ave. and then go north on Delaware (aka Columbus) Avenue you cannot miss her.GME


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: [Marine Preservation] S.S. Norway departs Bremerhaven
PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2005 10:56 am 

Joined: Sun Aug 22, 2004 3:24 pm
Posts: 169
Location: Litchfield, MN.
I guess it hasn't been announced for certain that she's on the way to Alang, but apparently the deal for hotel service, and the other one that she'd do slow cruises with her two remaining boilers have fallen through. The talk was that it was headed for India. I don't have confirmation of this, but if one looks at the economics of the situation it isn't too difficult to come to the conclusion that the breakers is the next port of call. Also, she has been stripped of most interior fittings of any real value. Mark D.


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: [Marine Preservation] S.S. Norway departs Bremerhaven
PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2005 10:56 am 

Joined: Sun Aug 22, 2004 3:24 pm
Posts: 169
Location: Litchfield, MN.
I guess it hasn't been announced for certain that she's on the way to Alang, but apparently the deal for hotel service, and the other one that she'd do slow cruises with her two remaining boilers have fallen through. The talk was that it was headed for India. I don't have confirmation of this, but if one looks at the economics of the situation it isn't too difficult to come to the conclusion that the breakers is the next port of call. Also, she has been stripped of most interior fittings of any real value. Mark D.


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: [Marine Preservation] S.S. Norway departs Bremerhaven
PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2005 6:53 pm 

Joined: Sun Aug 22, 2004 3:24 pm
Posts: 169
Location: Litchfield, MN.
Nice picture. Even with all the added deck houses and structures, what a beautiful boat that is. Classic yacht like design. Nothing like that is likely to ever be built again. Everything built today is built to maximize inside spaces, without a need to handle the North Atlantic seas. Mark D.


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: [Marine Preservation] S.S. Norway departs Bremerhaven
PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2005 10:12 pm 

Joined: Mon Aug 23, 2004 10:49 am
Posts: 773
Is she still close to the USS Constellation? the last time I was in the area they were berthed pretty close together.


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: [Marine Preservation] S.S. Norway departs Bremerhaven
PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2005 7:28 am 

Joined: Mon Aug 23, 2004 10:08 am
Posts: 69
Location: Centreville, MD
I'm pretty sure the Constellation is @ the inner harbor in Baltimore.


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: [Marine Preservation] S.S. Norway departs Bremerhaven
PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2005 1:35 pm 

Joined: Mon Aug 23, 2004 10:49 am
Posts: 773
They must have moved her because at one time( 1997) they were both in the inner harbor. Either that or I'm getting old. Though a Navy friend,I boarded both ships at that time. Boarded? I sound like a pirate!


Offline
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Jump to: