It is currently Fri Oct 02, 2026 9:59 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 13 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: An Odd Proposal
PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2005 10:22 pm 
User avatar

Joined: Sun Oct 10, 2004 11:30 am
Posts: 1263
Location: Eagan, MN
Many of you have visited my website, www.steamlocomotive.info and most of you have noticed the little Google ads on the front page. I've received some rather harsh criticism for running those ads, and so I've decided to do something useful with them.We get a few cents per click through credited to an account at Google. When the amount in that account exceeds $100.00 we receive a check for the amount. It builds up slowly, mostly because only 8 or 9 people per day click on the ads. Since we started running them about 6 months ago, we've gotten a total of about $84.00 credited to our account.Originally, the idea in running the ads was to defray some of the costs of running steamlocomotive.info, but I now agree with several of my critics that this wasn't a very good idea. So.............Here's what's going to happen. Each time Google sends a check to our company for the amount those ads have earned us, we're going to write a check for the same amount to a steam locomotive operation. Granted this will probably only amount to $200 to $300/year but still it is something.The first recipient of our Google Adsense revenues has been selected, and in two or three weeks, when the amount hits $100.00 we'll be writing a check to the Steam Railroading Institute for that amount.The second recipient has not yet been selected. If you have a worthy project, and are a legitimate 501C3 corporation let me know. We'll put your organization's name in a hat and select our next recipient.Anyhow. When you visit www.steamlocomotive.info, please click on the Google Ads. When you do, and each time you do, you'll be making a small contribution to a worthy steam locomotive.We're looking at other possibilities to raise revenues that we can contribute to steam locomotives. Crazy huh? But someone once told me to put my money where my mouth is, so I'm trying.Regards,Doug Bailey, Webmasterwww.steamlocomotive.info


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: An Odd Proposal
PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2005 11:01 pm 

Joined: Wed Aug 25, 2004 4:18 pm
Posts: 216
Location: Pittsburgh PA
Hey Doug,Just wanted to say I think it's a great idea!Now if I may put in a humble request on the site, any possibility of an update on Jeff Terry's columns for those of us who don't have a subscription to R&R?Keep up the great work!


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: An Odd Proposal
PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2005 5:45 am 

Hi Doug,That is a great Idea and it does help by bring in monies that usually wouldnt be brought in to the Preservation arena. and you are right there are a lot os people who dont like to see ads on webpages they visit.One group I can think of that could use the monies too is this one here, (RyPN) It has been a big help for all who visit the site and a worthy cause.Andrew Martin


  
 
 Post subject: Re: An Odd Proposal
PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2005 7:09 am 
User avatar

Joined: Sun Oct 10, 2004 11:30 am
Posts: 1263
Location: Eagan, MN
Tim Botti wrote:
Hey Doug,Now if I may put in a humble request on the site, any possibility of an update on Jeff Terry's columns for those of us who don't have a subscription to R&R?
Tim, I'll try to get some more of Jeff's columns online this weekend. The magazines are all stacked up next to the scanner. All I have to do is scan, OCR, and format 'em. Regards,Doug


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: An Odd Proposal- Better one
PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2005 10:05 am 

Joined: Sun Aug 22, 2004 11:54 pm
Posts: 2617
Make your organization non-profit, avoid paying federal taxes yourself on the "click-through" revenue.


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: An Odd Proposal- Better one
PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2005 12:08 pm 
User avatar

Joined: Sun Oct 10, 2004 11:30 am
Posts: 1263
Location: Eagan, MN
superheater wrote:
Make your organization non-profit, avoid paying federal taxes yourself on the "click-through" revenue.
You know...as long as I thought about doing this, the tax consequences never occurred to me. Avoiding taxes is NOT part of our corporate mission statement, so I'll just go on donating to what we consider worthy causes.Regards,Doug


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: An Odd Proposal
PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2005 2:46 pm 
User avatar

Joined: Sun Oct 10, 2004 11:30 am
Posts: 1263
Location: Eagan, MN
I'm pleased and startled to report that the Google Adsense ads on steamlocomotive.info earned $16.00 in the last two days, taking us over the $100.00 marker. The Steam Railroading Institute will receive our donation in the amount of $100.00 before June 15th.The next recipient of our ad donation will be The Fort Wayne Railway Historical Society (the nice 765 folks). Again we'd like to solicit organizations who'd like to receive one of these $100 donations to let us know. You need the following:1. Actively engaged in the restoration/operation of a steam locomotive.2. 501C3 corporationRecipients will be chosen at random, and Sunshine Software, Inc. reserves the right to decline to donate to any organization which does not meet the above criteria, or whose conduct has been such that there seems a high likelihood that the donation would not be used to the benefit of steam preservation/operation.We're also working on another project, that would result in the corporation contributing about 10% of its revenues from certain types of web hosting to a fund which would be used to make larger donations to the benefit of steam preservation/operation. As soon as we have the details worked out, we'll announce 'em all over the place.By the way, while we're not terribly interested in restorations for display purposes, we'll consider them as recipients.


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: An Odd Proposal
PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2005 4:02 pm 

Joined: Sat Sep 18, 2004 1:21 pm
Posts: 489
Location: Columbus, OH
Quote:
1. Actively engaged in the restoration/operation of a steam locomotive.
I don't suppose that includes restoring the support infractruture for and active steam locomotive? (track, shops, rolling stock, enginehouse, etc.)

_________________
Christopher D. Coleman

https://www.oldeastie.com Old Eastie: East Broad Top Homepage
https://www.febt.org Friends of the East Broad Top
https://www.eastbroadtop.com East Broad Top Railroad


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: An Odd Proposal
PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2005 4:14 pm 
User avatar

Joined: Sun Oct 10, 2004 11:30 am
Posts: 1263
Location: Eagan, MN
For the East Broad Top? Sure. You're next up after 765. Please supply contact information.


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Whoa, STOP, wait a minute
PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2005 10:15 pm 

Joined: Tue Aug 24, 2004 7:12 pm
Posts: 220
Location: Ely, Nevada
I have to strongly disagree with where this thread is going. I’ll start with the first posting, “Many of you have visited my website, www.steamlocomotive.info and most of you have noticed the little Google ads on the front page. I've received some rather harsh criticism for running those ads, and so I've decided to do something useful with them."Harsh Criticism!!!! You have got to be kidding!!!! I glanced at your site and it took me a full minute to even find the ads and I use to be in advertising and I look for ads. Folks, Economics 099 (this is even more basic than 101) says everything has a cost. THERE IS NO FREE LUNCH! God, I wonder what your critics will say about the banner I was about to hang on both sides of Nevada Northern Railway Steam Locomotive 40’s tender. The banner was going to say, “Your ad here inquire within.” After all we just finished retubing 40, and now we will be starting work on the steam powered wrecking crane. And when that’s done, we are going to start on steam locomotive 81. I’m afraid $100 is not going to make a dent in any of those projects. It is not even a good drop in the bucket. Please send any of your critics my way; I have plenty of work that needs to done here in Ely. It is back breaking work. I would be glad to put them to work so they can get up close and personal with what it takes to maintain a railroad. For the critics out there, I have a news flash for you, our hobby costs money, gobs and gobs and gobs of it. There is more need than there is money. Criticism!? Give me a break! The folks at steamlocomotive.info, are to be commended for finding a revenue stream that helps support their site. Look what RYPN had to do!!Frankly, where I have the need for hundreds of thousands of dollars, I would rather that you keep the fortune that you are making from Google to support your site. Also I can’t agree with the notion to click on an ad, just to click the ad. Where do you think the money comes from, Google? Buzz, wrong answer! It comes from the advertiser. So by clicking away you are costing the advertiser additional money. The advertiser will have to make a decision, either raise their prices to cover the increased advertising costs or reduce their advertising. Not a good choice either way. (By the way, I recently read where a company almost went out of business, because their competitor clicked their Google ads. The company reduced their ads and their customer base before they caught on.) Secondly, while I’m on the old soapbox, I have a problem with this, “Now if I may put in a humble request on the site, any possibility of an update on Jeff Terry's columns for those of us who don't have a subscription to R&R?”My advice, subscribe to the magazine! It costs about $30 a year or 9 cents a day. Without subscribers, there will be no magazine, it is that simple. I have a nodding acquaintance with both Steve at R & R and Jim at TRAINS. Believe it or not, they both enjoy having a roof over their heads and eating three squares a day. I look at the prices charged for major league sports and just shake my head. Or how about the price for a movie, cable TV, or gasoline. We are all shelling out big bucks for necessities(?), but we expect the thing that gives us joy, to do it for free or low cost.I recently, went to dinner and the topic of conversation was the UP 844 project. Where I salute the UP for investing millions in 844, where is the next large project? As the world’s remaining superpower, where is our A4 project? When will our community, start thinking BIG!!! Instead we quibble over a $100 donation and a $30 magazine subscription.This is just some food for thought. I’m going to put the soapbox away, but I will put my money where my mouth is. In writing this post I realized, I haven’t supported RYPN financially. So after I post this I will be making a contribution for both this year and last year. Mark S. BassettExecutive DirectorNevada Northern Railway Museumwww.nnry.com


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Whoa, STOP, wait a minute
PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2005 10:16 pm 

Joined: Tue Aug 24, 2004 7:12 pm
Posts: 220
Location: Ely, Nevada
I have to strongly disagree with where this thread is going. I’ll start with the first posting, “Many of you have visited my website, www.steamlocomotive.info and most of you have noticed the little Google ads on the front page. I've received some rather harsh criticism for running those ads, and so I've decided to do something useful with them."Harsh Criticism!!!! You have got to be kidding!!!! I glanced at your site and it took me a full minute to even find the ads and I use to be in advertising and I look for ads. Folks, Economics 099 (this is even more basic than 101) says everything has a cost. THERE IS NO FREE LUNCH! God, I wonder what your critics will say about the banner I was about to hang on both sides of Nevada Northern Railway Steam Locomotive 40’s tender. The banner was going to say, “Your ad here inquire within.” After all we just finished retubing 40, and now we will be starting work on the steam powered wrecking crane. And when that’s done, we are going to start on steam locomotive 81. I’m afraid $100 is not going to make a dent in any of those projects. It is not even a good drop in the bucket. Please send any of your critics my way; I have plenty of work that needs to done here in Ely. It is back breaking work. I would be glad to put them to work so they can get up close and personal with what it takes to maintain a railroad. For the critics out there, I have a news flash for you, our hobby costs money, gobs and gobs and gobs of it. There is more need than there is money. Criticism!? Give me a break! The folks at steamlocomotive.info, are to be commended for finding a revenue stream that helps support their site. Look what RYPN had to do!!Frankly, where I have the need for hundreds of thousands of dollars, I would rather that you keep the fortune that you are making from Google to support your site. Also I can’t agree with the notion to click on an ad, just to click the ad. Where do you think the money comes from, Google? Buzz, wrong answer! It comes from the advertiser. So by clicking away you are costing the advertiser additional money. The advertiser will have to make a decision, either raise their prices to cover the increased advertising costs or reduce their advertising. Not a good choice either way. (By the way, I recently read where a company almost went out of business, because their competitor clicked their Google ads. The company reduced their ads and their customer base before they caught on.) Secondly, while I’m on the old soapbox, I have a problem with this, “Now if I may put in a humble request on the site, any possibility of an update on Jeff Terry's columns for those of us who don't have a subscription to R&R?”My advice, subscribe to the magazine! It costs about $30 a year or 9 cents a day. Without subscribers, there will be no magazine, it is that simple. I have a nodding acquaintance with both Steve at R & R and Jim at TRAINS. Believe it or not, they both enjoy having a roof over their heads and eating three squares a day. I look at the prices charged for major league sports and just shake my head. Or how about the price for a movie, cable TV, or gasoline. We are all shelling out big bucks for necessities(?), but we expect the thing that gives us joy, to do it for free or low cost.I recently, went to dinner and the topic of conversation was the UP 844 project. Where I salute the UP for investing millions in 844, where is the next large project? As the world’s remaining superpower, where is our A4 project? When will our community, start thinking BIG!!! Instead we quibble over a $100 donation and a $30 magazine subscription.This is just some food for thought. I’m going to put the soapbox away, but I will put my money where my mouth is. In writing this post I realized, I haven’t supported RYPN financially. So after I post this I will be making a contribution for both this year and last year. Mark S. BassettExecutive DirectorNevada Northern Railway Museumwww.nnry.com


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: An Odd Proposal
PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2005 10:32 pm 

Joined: Sat Sep 18, 2004 1:21 pm
Posts: 489
Location: Columbus, OH
Here is the contact information for the FEBT Restoration Fund:Friends of the East Broad TopRestoration Fund Treasurer513 Shady Avenue, No. 12Pittsburgh PA 15206Any and all donations are appreciated (even $100 ones!)

_________________
Christopher D. Coleman

https://www.oldeastie.com Old Eastie: East Broad Top Homepage
https://www.febt.org Friends of the East Broad Top
https://www.eastbroadtop.com East Broad Top Railroad


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Fair enough...
PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2005 8:54 am 

Joined: Wed Aug 25, 2004 4:18 pm
Posts: 216
Location: Pittsburgh PA
Mark S Bassett wrote:
Secondly, while I’m on the old soapbox, I have a problem with this, “Now if I may put in a humble request on the site, any possibility of an update on Jeff Terry's columns for those of us who don't have a subscription to R&R?”My advice, subscribe to the magazine! It costs about $30 a year or 9 cents a day. Without subscribers, there will be no magazine, it is that simple. I have a nodding acquaintance with both Steve at R & R and Jim at TRAINS. Believe it or not, they both enjoy having a roof over their heads and eating three squares a day. I look at the prices charged for major league sports and just shake my head. Or how about the price for a movie, cable TV, or gasoline. We are all shelling out big bucks for necessities(?), but we expect the thing that gives us joy, to do it for free or low cost.I recently, went to dinner and the topic of conversation was the UP 844 project. Where I salute the UP for investing millions in 844, where is the next large project? As the world’s remaining superpower, where is our A4 project? When will our community, start thinking BIG!!! Mark S. BassettExecutive DirectorNevada Northern Railway Museumwww.nnry.com
Mr. Bassett,No harm meant, and I completely understand your point. For what it's worth, a subscription to R&R is in the near future, I simply thought Jeff Terry's column made a nice addition to Doug's website. As for contributions, once I'm done playing the starving college kid I plan to put whats left of my money where my mouth is as well!Anyway, I applaud you and your organization for the work they're doing (I hope to make it out there SOMEDAY) and as far as the thinking BIG thing, believe me, I can buy (at least philosophically if not yet financially) into that.Apologies to the mods, I know this is even more off topic!


Offline
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 13 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Jump to: