| Railway Preservation News https://www.rypn.org/forums/ |
|
| Little River Railroad https://www.rypn.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=17581 |
Page 1 of 1 |
| Author: | nathansixchime [ Sun May 29, 2005 10:20 pm ] |
| Post subject: | Little River Railroad |
Just got back from a day spent in Coldwater, Michigan with the world's smallest standard gauge Pacific, Little River Railroad 110.The Little River has been a "roaming" operation for the past few years, searching for a good place to call home. It's fantastic to see their Pacific back up and running, as I spent many a day on it when it ran out of Angola, Indiana when I was much younger.The operation is very cool--the engine is a gentle chuffer, the route is easy and relaxing, providing adequate chasing opportunities as well. The staff and crew are especially friendly and eager to see their operation take off. They've done a lot so far, having even restored an 0-4-0 to operating condition. There's a lot of potential with this unique group and I urge all of you to check out their website and take a ride!http://www.littleriverrailroad.com/index.htm-Kelly Lynch |
|
| Author: | Cliff McKay [ Mon May 30, 2005 10:22 pm ] |
| Post subject: | Re: Little River Railroad |
I've always heard this loco referred to as the smallest standard gauge pacific ever built. Were there any narrow gauge pacifics built for revenue service? I'm not aware of any U.S. or Canadian examples. Can anyone shed some light on this? |
|
| Author: | Ed Kelley [ Tue May 31, 2005 2:52 am ] |
| Post subject: | Re: Little River Railroad |
There's a 2' Baldwin-built Pacific operating on the Brecon Mountain Railway in Wales...its lines similar to the SR&RL #24 (a 2-6-2). Built in 1930 for an operation in South Africa.Photo from the BMR Website: Others at:http://philtpics.fotopic.net/c216043.html
|
|
| Author: | bobyar2001 [ Tue May 31, 2005 8:48 am ] |
| Post subject: | Other websites? |
Somewhere, I've ran across good historical websites for both the original Little River RR and Smoky Mountain RR, on which the 110 once ran. I had no luck just now looking for them again. Anyone else have the URLs? |
|
| Author: | nathansixchime [ Tue May 31, 2005 8:56 am ] |
| Post subject: | Re: Other websites? |
http://littleriverrailroad.org/ |
|
| Author: | Steve Singer [ Tue May 31, 2005 10:01 am ] |
| Post subject: | Re: Little River Railroad |
Pacifics were used in South Africa on 3' 6" gauge. |
|
| Author: | Aarne H. Frobom [ Tue May 31, 2005 11:03 pm ] |
| Post subject: | Re: Little River Railroad |
I suspect Pacifics were the standard passenger engine in Japan, but can't recall the standard guage there. Is it 3' 6"? All I know is that the Shinkansen is broad guage: that is, 4' 8-1/2".And what guage were the engines that gave the Pacific type its name when built for New Zealand? |
|
| Author: | Ed Fritz [ Wed Jun 01, 2005 5:34 am ] |
| Post subject: | Re: Little River Railroad |
Aarne H. Frobom wrote: I suspect Pacifics were the standard passenger engine in Japan, but can't recall the standard guage there. Is it 3' 6"? All I know is that the Shinkansen is broad guage: that is, 4' 8-1/2". Meter gauge though the "Bullet" trains are 4' 8 1/2" gauge.Ed
|
|
| Page 1 of 1 | All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ] |
| Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group http://www.phpbb.com/ |
|