Railway Preservation News
https://www.rypn.org/forums/

B&O Grand Opening / Western Maryland Scenic Visit
https://www.rypn.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=17600
Page 1 of 1

Author:  superheater [ Wed Jun 01, 2005 12:25 pm ]
Post subject:  B&O Grand Opening / Western Maryland Scenic Visit

I would like to take a quick minute to compliment both operations on both the nature of the operations as well as the staff. One word of caution: If you decide to try the Chili Verde at El Canuelo in Frostburg, HOT, HOT HOT!!! If you haven't ridden the WMSR, do it. Its was well worth the 140 mile drive. The 734 is one of those engines that looks bigger than it is and is a pleasure to ride behind.

Author:  Dave Crosby [ Wed Jun 01, 2005 1:58 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: B&O Grand Opening / Western Maryland Scenic Visit

Since we're passing out accolades today, I'd like to second that thumbs up from Superheater. I wasn't there last weekend, but had the pleasure of riding the train during the NRHS board of director’s meeting a few weeks ago. As I watched the 734 snake its way uphill towards Helmsteader's, it's whistle echoing across the valley, my heart was filled with a profound sense of loss. The sadness I felt was not only due to the loss I myself would feel, but the fact that future generations may very well not have the opportunity to take it all in as I did. It seemed to me that those who come after us will be just a little worse off not being able to feel the ground shake and hear the roar.Seems to be a lot of people that think the mountain side of Maryland will be better off once the hiking trail replaces the railroad. I remembered the town of Cumberland from a visit almost 15 years before and noted how far its come, due in no small part to the railroad. All I could think to myself was "Forgive them Lord, they know not what the do".Dave Crosby

Author:  m3ohwell [ Wed Jun 01, 2005 4:44 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: B&O Grand Opening / Western Maryland Scenic Visit

As a frequent visitor to the WMSR. Riding it, as well as Carl Franz photo specials. Making many video productions of my own (OH WELL PRODUCTIONS) I have to say, loosing this to a hiking trail would be indeed a shame. These folks know how to run a steam engine! Not some steam locomotive sloshing around some museum with the throttle barely open. They make 734 really get up and shout!Ed K. OH WELL PRODUCTIONS / HORNS INC.

Page 1 of 1 All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group
http://www.phpbb.com/