| Railway Preservation News https://www.rypn.org/forums/ |
|
| Mexican 4-8-4s still in scrapyard. https://www.rypn.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=18095 |
Page 1 of 1 |
| Author: | johnny winkler [ Thu Jul 21, 2005 11:48 am ] |
| Post subject: | Mexican 4-8-4s still in scrapyard. |
On trainorders.com there is a link to photos of 4-8-4 Baldwin steam locomotives still in a Mexican scrapyard.Look in the PA diesel discussion for links.I know that these engines are similar to NC&STL's first 4-8-4s,but could one be used to replicate any other classes of American steam?Is there anyone besides me that would like to see one of these Mexican 4-8-4s mated with one of the surviving NC&STL Vanderbilt tenders and put on display at TVRM in Chattanooga or the Tennessee Central Museum in Nashville? |
|
| Author: | DrewA [ Thu Jul 21, 2005 1:31 pm ] |
| Post subject: | Re: Mexican 4-8-4s still in scrapyard. |
I think TVRM would probably be a better choice. They already have a tender, and Nashville already has an original NC&StL Dixie it would rather leave unfenced so folks could steal things off of it (which they are) and are not maintaing so it's rusting away and looking rough. The TC Museum is already keeping up a 2-6-0 in Cookeville, and it looks good, but they're out of room to display things in Nashville, I think. Not that I'm bitter about the city's treatment of 576 or anything . . . |
|
| Author: | scottychaos [ Thu Jul 21, 2005 1:32 pm ] |
| Post subject: | Re: Mexican 4-8-4s still in scrapyard. |
Johnny,what forum was it in?I poked around the several trainorders forums, only found one thread about Alco PA's, and the 4-8-4 discussion wasnt in that thread..you could just post the direct links for us! ;)rather than make us search for them..Scot |
|
| Author: | Don C. [ Thu Jul 21, 2005 5:07 pm ] |
| Post subject: | Re: Mexican 4-8-4s still in scrapyard. |
Johnny, Don't count me in on your suggestion to replicate anything out of an NdeM 4-8-4 or any other locomotive for that matter. I was fortunately to see a number of these locomotives in service in 1966 and I think they are fine just the way they are. WM 734/LS&I 34 and C&O 2765/NKP 765 are about the only "convincing" replications that I have every seen. D&H 302/RDG 2102 was a horrible creature. DL&W 1661/Milwaukee Rd 261 was another disappointment. This is almost like saving a strand of your favorite dog's hair so you can clone another Fido. It just doesn't work for me.Don C. |
|
| Author: | johnny winkler [ Thu Jul 21, 2005 6:32 pm ] |
| Post subject: | Re: Link for 4-8-4 photos |
http://www.trainorders.com/discussion/w ... 2Fdh19.htm I hope this works,never tried to post a link before.If not it is in steam discusion under the PA Pics thread.Click past the PA photos. |
|
| Author: | Dennis Storzek [ Thu Jul 21, 2005 6:46 pm ] |
| Post subject: | Re: Link for 4-8-4 photos |
I think this is where you want to go...http://www.mexlist.com/photo/niagaras/hue1.htm |
|
| Author: | survivingworldsteam [ Thu Jul 21, 2005 7:00 pm ] |
| Post subject: | Re: Link for 4-8-4 photos |
Actually, I think this is the exact link: http://www.mexlist.com/photo/niagaras/hue1.htmRealize it was taken in 1998; roughly the same time as the picture that was taken in my database. The rest of text has some conjecture to it.It is my understanding that their disposition is as follows:
|
|
| Author: | gmray [ Thu Jul 21, 2005 7:31 pm ] |
| Post subject: | Re: Link for 4-8-4 photos |
Does anyone know who to contact in Mexico to inquire about the availability of any of these locomotives? |
|
| Author: | Howard P. [ Thu Jul 21, 2005 9:32 pm ] |
| Post subject: | Re: Link for 4-8-4 photos |
Might want to start with Doyle L. McCormick; he's the only one who has gotten anything out of Mexico since the 60s. I suspect he would have an idea if this was possible or not.I seem to recall mention in an old Railroad Magazine (1968-70 era) Mike Eagleson column, about a guy in Southern California named Tom Irion who supposedly had already purchased an NdeM 4-8-4, and was planning to run it in the Sou Cal area. Never heard any more about it though-- does that sound familiar to anyone? |
|
| Author: | Alexander D. Mitchell IV [ Thu Jul 21, 2005 11:03 pm ] |
| Post subject: | Could I remind y'all...... |
.... that there's another NdeM 4-8-4 under glacial-pace restoration in New Hope, Pa.? Not to criticize the effort (others who have been closer to the engine will no doubt jump in and do so), but New Hope is a heck of a lot closer to Tennessee than Mexico.......... |
|
| Page 1 of 1 | All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ] |
| Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group http://www.phpbb.com/ |
|