| Railway Preservation News https://www.rypn.org/forums/ |
|
| Rust and Paint https://www.rypn.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=18284 |
Page 1 of 1 |
| Author: | dlocable [ Mon Aug 15, 2005 8:50 am ] |
| Post subject: | Rust and Paint |
Does anybody have any good suggestions or advice as to what is the best "paint" to use on rusty metal. I am looking for a proven product that wth little effort on my part can be applied on rusty metal and will stop the rust and prevent future growth of the rust. I will need to top coat the product with the finish paint. The product needs to be resistant to all the fluids in a locomotive. Due to their location, I have many surfaces that I cannot sandblast. I can only remove the rust by hand. Also, these areas are adjacent to areas with good paint and good metal, or they may be next to new uncoated metal. I don't want to have to change my "paints" based on the condition of the metal I'm working on. Yes, this describes every restoration project ever attempted. With all the on going and completed restoration projects out there, all knowledgable input will be appreciated.Thanks |
|
| Author: | Evan [ Mon Aug 15, 2005 9:28 am ] |
| Post subject: | Re: Rust and Paint |
I don't know how it stands up to high-temp applications, but most paint companies have a rust converting paint. Depending on the mfgr, it will have a name like Rust Reformer, Rust Converter or Paint-over-Rust. These products chemically convert the rust to a stable surface which you can then paint over, sand, apply bondo to, etc. |
|
| Author: | Dave Lewandoski [ Mon Aug 15, 2005 10:24 am ] |
| Post subject: | Re: Rust and Paint |
POR 15 is widely used by the automotive hobby. Paint it right over rust. |
|
| Author: | dmann [ Mon Aug 15, 2005 3:01 pm ] |
| Post subject: | Re: Rust and Paint |
At Niles Canyon Ry. we are using a product called Rust Bullet which is working well both as a rust converter, seal and base for top coats. The only prep work is removing loose scale.Their website is www.rustbullet.com |
|
| Author: | Dan Furtado [ Mon Aug 15, 2005 4:28 pm ] |
| Post subject: | Re: Rust and Paint |
On WP F7 918 we used lots of Rust Mort. It helps to get as much scale off the surface as possible first. |
|
| Author: | Dave [ Mon Aug 15, 2005 5:53 pm ] |
| Post subject: | Re: Rust and Paint |
Ditto Ospho.dave |
|
| Page 1 of 1 | All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ] |
| Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group http://www.phpbb.com/ |
|