Railway Preservation News
https://www.rypn.org/forums/

Bye Bye to the last Erie Semaphore
https://www.rypn.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=18367
Page 1 of 1

Author:  greenwichlirr [ Thu Aug 25, 2005 6:42 am ]
Post subject:  Bye Bye to the last Erie Semaphore

According to various 'net groups, the last in-service Erie Semaphore (224.2, I believe, in Endicott, NY) bit the dust yesterday. No doubt that THIS one wound up in some maintainers collection!The old Erie line was the last haven in the east for Semaphores. Where is one to go to now to see some non-tourist blades still in use?

Author:  greenwichlirr [ Thu Aug 25, 2005 6:43 am ]
Post subject:  And here are some pics from the "good ole' days"

http://gold.mylargescale.com/scottychaos/semaphore/

Author:  Richard Glueck [ Thu Aug 25, 2005 6:50 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Bye Bye to the last Erie Semaphore

I have always thought that semaphores are a far more sensible and safe means of catching the crews attention. I guess in the computer age, cab signals take their place. What a loss.

Author:  Justin Franz [ Fri Aug 26, 2005 1:48 am ]
Post subject:  Re: And here are some pics from the "good ole' days&quo

Amazing,I was just out there about two weeks ago getting it. I didn't think that within a few weeks the last Erie Semaphore would be gone. Talk about cutting it close.-Justin Franz

Author:  Justin Franz [ Fri Aug 26, 2005 2:14 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Bye Bye to the last Erie Semaphore, Not yet

According to some internet forums Semaphore 224-2 at Endicott is not down yet and, for now, is in service until a new signal that has been already placed is tested and in service. On some other forums there are rumors that the semaphore will be preserved.http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=19486Here is a link to a photo a few years back I found on railpictures.net, actually I just got my shots back from Kodak of the Semaphore from just a few weeks ago.-Justin Franz

Page 1 of 1 All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group
http://www.phpbb.com/