Railway Preservation News
https://www.rypn.org/forums/

And the quarry dive for the Pennsy B8 showed...?
https://www.rypn.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=18377
Page 1 of 1

Author:  Alexander D. Mitchell IV [ Sat Aug 27, 2005 9:54 pm ]
Post subject:  We'll let you know when it happens.........

As far as anyone knows, the dive hasn't occurred yet. According to the diver, Ryan Parkevich, it's only delayed, not cancelled.

Author:  Joshua K. Blay [ Sat Aug 27, 2005 10:19 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: We'll let you know when it happens.........

If they wait long enough they can go ice fishing for it!JKB

Author:  Daniel Maxwell [ Sat Aug 27, 2005 10:31 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: We'll let you know when it happens.........

I never get my hopes up for these water engines. I only know of a few case where it has been done successfully, and as far as I am aware they are usually small engines (Florida's Danforth 4-4-0, the 'mud' rogers in australia, riprap engines on the WP&Y)

Author:  teqdiver [ Sun Aug 28, 2005 12:02 am ]
Post subject:  Re: And the quarry dive for the Pennsy B8 showed...?

Hang on a minute there Mr Glueck, I said earlier this season I got a new job as an RN after graduating this spring from college. The hospital I now work for has been working me mercilessly. I also work for a local dive shop that has been overrun with business this summer. I also volunteer for the Ohio Central. I also had the the entire permit from the park totally reworked after they decided a few weeks ago that it was not what they really needed. My wife and I also in the last few weeks have bought a house. One further thing, keep in mind I am donating my time, effort and money to help you gain some information you would not have otherwise had. It is a nine hour drive for me there. Don't like the way it's going? Go get certifed, get the permit and do it yourself! Thank you and happy railroading,Ryan Parkevich

Author:  Ron Travis [ Sun Aug 28, 2005 8:07 am ]
Post subject:  Re: We'll let you know when it happens.........

Would someone please tell me what evidence exists for a locomotive in the Monocacy Quarry? I have seen several messages about this subject, but all I can glean is that there seems to be a lot of controversy surrounding it. If a locomotive is there, what is the probability that a diver could find it?

Author:  Kevin Gillespie [ Sun Aug 28, 2005 8:20 am ]
Post subject:  ADMIN: Re: We'll let you know when it happens.........

Gentlemen,Let's keep this topic civil.

Author:  rev66vette [ Sun Aug 28, 2005 10:22 am ]
Post subject:  Re: We'll let you know when it happens.........

I agree to let's keep this civil, and also let's keep it to the point. The topic has been hashed and re-hashed here on numerous occasions. Maybe using the search engine provided here can keep everyone up to date rather than starting this thing all over again.

Author:  Richard Glueck [ Sun Aug 28, 2005 11:58 am ]
Post subject:  Re: And the quarry dive for the Pennsy B8 showed...?

No need to be bitter, Ryan. If you've followed this thread you will have noted that I have supported the idea of a dive to verify the rumor's being true or false. Please keep this in mind; the summer has been slipping away, eager people await the result, the rumor was first brought about by a contributor who hasn't been able to show any video or photos of the locomotive he says he photographed in it's location, the supporting tidbits that have been dropped are hardly conclusive if their support of a particularly "hot" story. Nobody wants to interrupt your personal life. Alas, if were younger, I would have gotten tech diver certification and headed out to the "Andrea Doria". As it is, numerous people talked about investigating this quarry, but none have found the time to do so. No personal attacks directed by me towards anyone.Do you have a time frame in mind for your volunteered efforts?

Author:  Schuylkill Valley [ Sun Aug 28, 2005 7:24 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: And the quarry dive for the Pennsy B8 showed...?

Hello All, Back in July I met with a female ranger name Lori Nygar, She told me that she would like to resend in the request to the State of Penna. for the reason, that the way the paper was before it was having me as the saul person for responabildy and if anything would go wrong I would have to pay the cost out . She feels since the Diver`s are the one`s diving and I`m not . She feels that the water part should be on them , but the land part should be from my end. if that makes sence? I did then went with another park ranger over to the quarry site, and wow is that quarry BIG! , He showed me it from up top the ridge. The quarry takes up 35 ackers. I did take video of the water level and it is deep! The Ranger told me back in the 1970`s the State had a crain set up to pull out old auto`s out of the quarry. The kids through the years pushed them into the quarry. while they were pulling out thease old autos they hook fast to someting very large, they put on more power and pulled up a PRR stone hopper. So that tells me theres something down there. Also the Ranger is a US Army diver and he said there is an old crain on crower tracks in the quarry and other equipment. He`s been in the quarry on resque missions only.Hope that helps.Len.

Author:  steaminfo [ Sun Aug 28, 2005 8:20 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: And the quarry dive for the Pennsy B8 showed...?

So what became of the photos and video you claimed to have that showed the locomotive?

Author:  Schuylkill Valley [ Sun Aug 28, 2005 9:09 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: And the quarry dive for the Pennsy B8 showed...?

I never said I had video or photos of this locomotive. Get your facts straight.Len.

Author:  wilkinsd [ Sun Aug 28, 2005 9:48 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: And the quarry dive for the Pennsy B8 showed...?

Didn't someone claim to have seen the locomotive when the water in the quarry was low?

Author:  Schuylkill Valley [ Sun Aug 28, 2005 10:00 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: And the quarry dive for the Pennsy B8 showed...?

Yes some local from the Birdsboro had said he was in the quarry with a boat and paddle up to the locomotive , that was on the old Chaski Railfan fourm. I never saw his pictures or did I ever meet up with this guy, because I couldn`t find him in the phone book or did his e-mail address work. I feel it was some spam that someone was trying to do on the subject about the PRR B-8 locomotive. There are a few nuts out there that think this is all but a big joke. And all they want to do is make fun of this historical venture and try to look smart doing it. I look for the true facts and then I acted on it, I asked alot of locals in that area and former workers of Dyers Quarry, about the locomotive. I also contacted Dyers Inc. and found out information from them as well, along with the Berks Co. Historical Soc. Hope that helps,Len.

Page 1 of 1 All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group
http://www.phpbb.com/