Railway Preservation News
https://www.rypn.org/forums/

Mt. Washington Cog Rwy.
https://www.rypn.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=18482
Page 1 of 1

Author:  BILL [ Mon Sep 05, 2005 9:31 pm ]
Post subject:  Mt. Washington Cog Rwy.

Of all the steam locomotives operating at The Cog, how many have been built since 1930? There are some discrepancies between various sites on the 'net. I know one was built c.1972 (although I've heard it's boiler was built in the late 1950's), one was built in the early 1980's, and somewhere I've read that one was built in the 1990's. I'm assuming that all the "older" engines have gotten new boilers also, but haven't been able to find that out, either. Any info will be helpful.

Author:  R. Hahn [ Tue Sep 06, 2005 8:30 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Mt. Washington Cog Rwy.

The list here is accurate. http://www.cog-railway.com/03chronological.htmTwo new steam locomotives since 1930, one in 1972 and one in 1983. As far as I know both were built new in their entirety, including new boilers.As to new boilers, each locomotive has probably had several during their careers.Roger

Author:  softwerkslex [ Tue Sep 06, 2005 11:01 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Mt. Washington Cog Rwy.

Why was Col. Teague re-named "Kro Flite"? I would think Teague deserved continued honor.

Author:  R. Hahn [ Tue Sep 06, 2005 2:00 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Mt. Washington Cog Rwy.

softwerkslex wrote:
Why was Col. Teague re-named "Kro Flite"? I would think Teague deserved continued honor.
My understanding is that the railway wanted to stick with traditional names from the area.As an aside, an employee at Mt. Washington said when they had just applied the last strokes of paint while renaming the Col. Teague to Kro Flite when they received word that Mrs. Teague had died. The end of an era in more ways than one.Roger

Author:  BILL [ Tue Sep 06, 2005 7:16 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Mt. Washington Cog Rwy.

Those two "new" ones I was aware of. An article in Trains a few years ago stated that a new number 2 was built in 1994, but perhaps they meant to imply that it was rebuilt and reboilered. Any idea what company(s) supplied the newer boilers??

Author:  R. Hahn [ Tue Sep 06, 2005 9:44 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Mt. Washington Cog Rwy.

BILL wrote:
Those two "new" ones I was aware of. An article in Trains a few years ago stated that a new number 2 was built in 1994, but perhaps they meant to imply that it was rebuilt and reboilered. Any idea what company(s) supplied the newer boilers??
The only boiler whose manufacturer I know is for the new #8 which was built by Monroe of Pittsburgh, PA if my memory serves me correctly. I also believe they are no longer business.Roger

Page 1 of 1 All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group
http://www.phpbb.com/