It is currently Thu Oct 01, 2026 12:54 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: Steam Locomotive bell
PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2005 6:45 pm 

Joined: Tue Aug 02, 2005 1:25 pm
Posts: 6486
My Son-in-Law is the pastor of a small church outside of Louisville, Kentucky. The church has what I am sure is a bell from a steam locomotive as the church bell. This past weekend I had the chance to look the bell over and there is a number embossed in two different places at the outside top of the bell near the yoke. This number is 1875. The nearest railroad to this church was the Louisville & Nashville and, if my memory is correct, I think (but am not sure) that the L&N had 2-8-2's in the 1800 series. I am trying to find out the following:1. Is this a good number for an L&N steam locomotive, 2-8-2 or.....?2. If so, when was this particular locomotive retired?3. Did the L&N donate surplus locomotive bells to churches?4. If not, did the L&N SELL surplus locomotive bells?5. Is there any record of L&N bell dispositions?Any help that anyone can furnish would be appreciated. For the record, I did check out the L&N Railroad Historical Society site but there seemed to be no place to send an inquiry of this type. Thanks!Les Beckman (Hoosier Valley Railroad Museum/North Judson, Indiana)


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Steam Locomotive bell
PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2005 8:39 pm 

Joined: Sun Aug 22, 2004 6:41 am
Posts: 214
Location: Stockton, New Jersey
The L&N did have a #1875, it was a Class J-4 2-8-2 that was retired on 9-15-1954 according to Prince's book on the L&N. I do not know if the L&N donated bells, but many of the railroads donated bells to churches. Since the church is near Louisville, it is a very good assumption that the bell came from the L&N. Hope that helps.


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Steam Locomotive bell
PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2005 10:50 pm 

That`s a cool story Les, The church I go has the Bell from the U.S.A.T. Meade the ship was used in WWI and retired in 1930`s. I thinks it`s cool that your church has a locomotive bell. I bet it has a much better sound then ours , I think ours got water log to much, lol. Len.


  
 
 Post subject: Re: Steam Locomotive bell
PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2005 10:27 am 

Joined: Tue Aug 02, 2005 1:25 pm
Posts: 6486
Len:Interesting about your church bell. A church bell from a ship may be a real rarity. Would be interesting to find out how many churches (or other organizations) throughout the country use bells from locomotives/ships, etc.Wish the bell off of the 1875 WAS at my church. But I only get to hear it/see it, when I go down to Kentucky to visit my daughter and her family and go to services at my son-in-laws church.BTW, do you know what type of a ship the U.S.A.T. Meade was?Les


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Steam Locomotive bell
PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2005 11:05 am 

Hi Les, Yes, it`s a US. Army Transport Ship, It was a ship like a destroyer but a bit smaller. The USAT ships were before the US Navy ships. The US.A.T. Meade was retired and scraped . The US. Navy had a Destroyer named the U.S.S. Meade to replace the US. A.T. Meade both ships were built by Bethlahem Steel Company.Hope that helps,Len.


  
 
 Post subject: Re: Steam Locomotive bell/Ship
PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2005 4:48 pm 

Joined: Tue Aug 02, 2005 1:25 pm
Posts: 6486
Len:Thanks very much for the info.Les


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Steam Locomotive bell
PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2005 4:59 pm 

Joined: Mon Aug 23, 2004 1:05 am
Posts: 1140
Location: San Francisco
Schulkill,I think I can put my hands on a history of that ship if you want one.The United Statesw Army Transport Service operated from here in Fort Mason. They carried people, supplies and equipment all over the world especially after the Spanish American War when the US picked up a number of over seas possessions like the Philipine Islands.There may have been a later destroyer, but she was not one. E-mail me if you would like the history.Ted Miles


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Steam Locomotive bell
PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2005 7:42 pm 

Hi Ted, Thanks for that information. I sent you an E-mail so be looking out for it. Len.


  
 
 Post subject: Re: Steam Locomotive bell
PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2005 12:01 am 

Hi all. I found out theres a church in Allentown, Pa. that has a locomotive bell as their church bell. The bell is from the Jersey Central, and the CNJ. gave the bell to this church in 1949 . The church people ask me not to relevil their name. Pastor told me that the bell came from a wrecked 0-6-0 switcher. The pastor also told me that they had a bell at their church but somehow it fell out of the bell tower in 1947 and cracked. A man that had goned to the church , got them this bell from the CNJ for he was a shop forman at Bethlahem round house.I wonder how many more are out there.Len S.


  
 
 Post subject: Re: Steam Locomotive bell
PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2005 6:17 pm 

A thank you goses out to Mr. Les Beckman, It was through this tred that my church is going to find out about our Ship bell. Thank you,Leonard S.


  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Jump to: