| Railway Preservation News https://www.rypn.org/forums/ |
|
| The Rexall Train https://www.rypn.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=18549 |
Page 1 of 1 |
| Author: | Dougvv [ Thu Sep 15, 2005 2:27 pm ] |
| Post subject: | The Rexall Train |
Hi,I was eating at the local Rexall lunch counter recently and saw three photos of something called "The Rexall Train".One photo of the steam locomotive head on showed a steamlined locomotive with New York Central underneath "The Rexall Train". In the background I could bairly see what was probably a lower track with PRR type steel I-beam catenary supports. There was no catenary on the track that the locomotive was on.Another photo showed the locomotive from the side. There was a Rexall Truck in front of the drivers and cab so I could not see the wheel arraingement. There was no catenary visable anywhere.The last photo showed what I think is called a Harriman observation car. Heavy weight, round roof with an open observation platform. As I recall, this had catenary poles in the background.Anyone know anything about the train or the photos?Thanks.DOug |
|
| Author: | Howard P. [ Thu Sep 15, 2005 5:14 pm ] |
| Post subject: | Re: The Rexall Train |
It was a touring promotion for Rexall, went all around the US on various roads during 1936. Power was a New York Central 4-8-2, wearing a streamlined shroud copied from the 1934 "Commodore Vanderbilt" loco. The cars (12, I think) look like they were typical heavyweight cars of the era, with a streamlined roofline added.The NYC Mohawk was converted to burn oil, as it toured in parts of the US where coal was unavailable. |
|
| Author: | wesp [ Thu Sep 15, 2005 5:37 pm ] |
| Post subject: | Re: The Rexall Train |
From: http://www.trainweb.org/oldtimetrains/CPR_Toronto/rexall.htmlWesley
|
|
| Author: | smokebox [ Thu Sep 15, 2005 11:32 pm ] |
| Post subject: | Re: The Rexall Train |
Did this locomotive loose its streamlining after the Rexall tour or did it keep it for a bit?Smokebox |
|
| Author: | Pat Fahey [ Fri Sep 16, 2005 1:07 pm ] |
| Post subject: | Re: The Rexall Train |
I believe that the engine did lose,it steamlineing after it's tour,,I will have too look it up in one of my NYC books... Pat |
|
| Author: | RGraner [ Fri Sep 16, 2005 5:09 pm ] |
| Post subject: | Re: The Rexall Train |
You can get some more information about the train and the picture if you stop by the Southeastern Railway Museum. We are just off Bufford Higway in Duluth 1/4 mile north of Pleasent Hill Rd.Jim O'Hara was the photographer and he is usually at the museum on Thursdays and Fridays as a docent. He would be happy to give you the detailsRon Graner |
|
| Author: | Fitz [ Fri Sep 16, 2005 9:19 pm ] |
| Post subject: | Re: The Rexall Train |
The Mohawk was L-2c 2873, and yes, lost her "streamlining" right after the tour. She had to go back to work hauling freight for the NY Central. |
|
| Page 1 of 1 | All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ] |
| Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group http://www.phpbb.com/ |
|