It is currently Thu Oct 01, 2026 10:04 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: Railway Scheduling Research
PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2005 9:50 pm 

Joined: Thu Apr 14, 2005 9:34 pm
Posts: 2837
Location: Copenhagen, Denmark
Hello, can anyone put me in touch with planning officials at the state or regional level for Amtrak California or the Caltrans peninsula operations? I am a PhD student working on new mathematical models for railway scheduling and track layout. I know changes were made for the "Baby Bullets", and that other track investments are likely for capacity expansion on other routes. I am looking for field data and applications ideas for my research.Other comparable lines nationwide would be interesting too, I just happen to have personal experience with the Bay Area.

_________________
Steven Harrod
Lektor
Danmarks Tekniske Universitet


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Railway Scheduling Research
PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2005 9:51 am 

Dear Stephen,I would suggest contacting Chris Barkan at the University of Illinois. He is leading an effort to re constitute the Railroad Engineering Program at the University of Illinois http://cee.uiuc.edu/research/railroad/ He may be able to point you in the right direction. Otherwise, if you have an interest in a specific agency, I would suggest contacting them directly - The schedulers and planners I have spoken with have been more than happy to explain how they do what they do.I hope this is of use - please let me know what you find as I will be doing similar research for a different part of the country shortly.Tom Cornillie


  
 
 Post subject: Re: Railway Scheduling Research
PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2005 10:18 am 
Site Admin

Joined: Sat Aug 28, 2004 1:15 pm
Posts: 1504
Location: Henderson Nevada
I can get you a contact for Caltrain. I sit on the San Mateo County Transportation Authority Advisory Committee. (We fund the capital improvements for Caltrain in San Mateo County) Contact me off line at hees-AT-rcn.com.Their latest schedule re-work is a work of genius. The line, which is owned and operated by a three county consortium (the Peninsula Joint Powers Board) and as is common with an agency which is dependent on three agency's each with their own priorities for funding, has been on short rations.The new schedule, rolled out August first ADDED trains to try to reduce the deficit in the process making many of the trains into high speed (one hour from San Jose to San Francisco) "Baby Bullets." They did this by dropping three stations, having two different Baby Bullet schedules, each skipping different stations, with the result that train sets and crews each make an additional round trip each day, increasing productivity, while increasing train speed drawing more riders. They ran into one problem. Passenger loadings have increased enough to cause delays loading at some stations.

_________________
Randy Hees
Director, Nevada State Railroad Museum, Boulder City, Nevada, Retired
http://www.nevadasouthern.com/
https://www.facebook.com/FriendsOfNevadaSouthernRailway


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Railway Scheduling Research
PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2005 10:48 am 

Joined: Sun Aug 22, 2004 1:51 pm
Posts: 12169
Location: Somewhere east of Prescott, AZ along the old Santa Fe "Prescott & Eastern"
At least two former MARC (Maryland) rail "officials" (meaning they had salaried positions, at least) used to lurk infrequently on this forum. Let me know if you don't get any reply from them, and I'll shake the dusty mailboxes a bit. They should be able to refer you to the correct persons.


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Railway Scheduling Research
PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2005 12:27 pm 

Joined: Thu Apr 14, 2005 9:34 pm
Posts: 2837
Location: Copenhagen, Denmark
Thanks, yes I know Chris Barkan. I have also cold written some officials, but I knew this forum had many personal contacts.

_________________
Steven Harrod
Lektor
Danmarks Tekniske Universitet


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Railway Scheduling Research
PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2005 12:38 pm 

Joined: Thu Apr 14, 2005 9:34 pm
Posts: 2837
Location: Copenhagen, Denmark
Randy Hees wrote:
The new schedule, rolled out August first ADDED trains to try to reduce the deficit in the process making many of the trains into high speed (one hour from San Jose to San Francisco) "Baby Bullets." They did this by dropping three stations, having two different Baby Bullet schedules, each skipping different stations, with the result that train sets and crews each make an additional round trip each day, increasing productivity, while increasing train speed drawing more riders.
As a side note, I have some in-law family in Mountain View. I had to listen politely while they told me the other day of this "NEW" train service to San Francisco. They have lived there for 20 years, and it was obvious they had never considered using the train before.

_________________
Steven Harrod
Lektor
Danmarks Tekniske Universitet


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Which proves true the addage....
PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2005 10:13 pm 

Joined: Sun Aug 22, 2004 1:40 am
Posts: 325
Location: UT
...if you build it,(or improve it) they will come.sc 'doc' lewis(at one time four years on the Berkeley side of the Bay)


Offline
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Jump to: