Railway Preservation News
https://www.rypn.org/forums/

ALCO Goats
https://www.rypn.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=18560
Page 1 of 1

Author:  Gerald W. Kopiasz [ Fri Sep 16, 2005 11:17 pm ]
Post subject:  ALCO Goats

I have some questions regarding ALCO switch engines. How good were the locomotives in the S series? How about reliability? Ease to work on and current availability for parts? Are they good pullers? Any information would be appreciated!God Bless,Gerald W. Kopiasz

Author:  Bob Kutella [ Sun Sep 18, 2005 6:36 am ]
Post subject:  Re: ALCO Goats

I wish I was more of a diesel guy and could give you a better answer. But there are a lot of S2 and S4 locos still around in operating condition. In fact I know of one available for lease right now. By today's standards these are low HP so cannot compete cost wise with larger and more fuel efficient locos - except perhaps in an industrial application or on a branch not generating many movements (or in a Museum).Numerous Alco-phile articles have appeared in Trains and other mags and seemingly parts can still be obtained to some degree.Not one of the models I have operated, but I believe Alcos were slow to respond and load up to throttle changes, resulting in excess fuel being sent to the cylinders and that famous black smoke being ejected in the exhaust.There are basically two camps for Alcos - either you love 'em to death or won't be bothered with them.Bob Kutella

Author:  EDM [ Sun Sep 18, 2005 1:59 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: ALCO Goats

I've handled a 60 plus car cut in a yard with an RS-1, so that answers the question about pulling, I hope. The unit didn't even breathe hard.Parts are around, although EMD parts are easier to find. The reliability question can be answered with it's own question: How good is your maintenance? If maintained as an Alco, using Alco manuals and recommendations, and done by someone that recognizes that he is working on an Alco and not an EMD or GE, the Alco should be just as reliable as any other builder's product.The 539 is overbuilt, it and the GE electric gear is fairly simple. After all, these are only 1000 HP units. The parts are heavier, but also generally last longer.That 1000 HP, as Mr. Kutella alludes to, was not a good selling point once EMD came out with the SW-7/9/1200, offering 1200 hp. But in terms of fuel usage, a 1000 HP Alco (539 or 251) will do the same work an EMD NW-2 (1000 HP) will do on much less fuel, because of the four cycle engine.The smoke comes from turbo lag; the larger Alcos did it, as did many of the GEs and some EMDs. Recent EMDS and GEs have computers and EFI, so turbo lag is somewhat eliminated, but at cost of acceleration.Loading up and accelerating is an Alco swticher trademark. I can make a light RS-1 transition (8 MPH) in about half it's length. I din't think an EMD SW can match that.If at all possible, go for the S-4 with the equalizer trucks. Many of the truck parts are common to the EMD switchers, and a roller bearing conversion is easier. The S-4 also rides better.Hope I answered your questions.

Author:  Tom Cornillie [ Sun Sep 18, 2005 4:50 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: ALCO Goats

As I understand, 539 parts are still manufactured, or at least plentiful, in the former Soviet Union. The USSR received a license through the Marshall Plan to build what amounted to a copy of the RS-1 and they continue to be in service around the globe today. I do not know if anybody has tried to import these parts (new or used) but given exchange rates and ever decreasing costs of international shipping it might be a worthwhile project.Tom Cornillie

Author:  Drake Rice [ Mon Sep 19, 2005 5:06 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: ALCO Goats

The Oklahoma Railway Musuem has an RS1 and two RS3's. We have a complete new block and engine parts that we received when we purchased the two RS3's. Also over at Springdale, Arkansas is the Arkansas & Missouri Railroad shops which is a Alco Heaven. Like was mentioned, they are good engines, easy on fuel and parts and help is available for them.

Author:  Tom Cornillie [ Mon Sep 19, 2005 5:49 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: ALCO Goats

What is the heritage and last owner of the RS-3's. Their acquistion by ORM is (good) news to me.Tom Cornillie

Author:  BC&A RR [ Sun Sep 25, 2005 7:52 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: ALCO Goats

ALCO's are very reliable as others have said, they can pull alot, parts are pretty easy to find, and are very popular with shortlines, not to mention look good :D. i myself am i big alco fan...especailly of RS3's.

Page 1 of 1 All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group
http://www.phpbb.com/