Railway Preservation News
https://www.rypn.org/forums/

4-6-4 Restoration in the Midwest
https://www.rypn.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=18627
Page 1 of 1

Author:  superheater [ Wed Sep 28, 2005 5:31 pm ]
Post subject:  4-6-4 Restoration in the Midwest

I remember reading about a midwestern RR museum, I think it was IRM that was attempting to restore a 4-6-4 (CB&Q?) at least 5 years ago. Whatever became of that project

Author:  wilkinsd [ Wed Sep 28, 2005 9:42 pm ]
Post subject:  CB&Q 3007

CB&Q 3007 was purchased by IRM at the auction of the former Purple Martin collection in Iowa. I remember reading in the railfan press at the time that IRM considered the locomotive to be "very restorable." I think I asked this question a number of years ago on this forum, and the response I remember is that, while a candidate for restoration, they haven't started. If I remember correctly, I saw her in the barn when I visited IRM last October.

Author:  talkingqhead [ Thu Sep 29, 2005 2:01 am ]
Post subject:  Re: 4-6-4 Restoration in the Midwest

Forget the IRM#3007 They can't even get their UP 2-8-0#428 up and running! I heard of someone was checking out Burlington Iowa's #3003 boiler last fall,with an idea of restoring it to run again, and calling it the spirit of the Burlington. I know the guy's up in LaCross Wis.are in the process of cosmetically restoring the #4000. I sure would love to see and ride behind another Burlington steamer before I die. It's been a long summer with out any steam action in and around the Chicago area.

Author:  smokebox [ Thu Sep 29, 2005 7:12 am ]
Post subject:  Re: CB&Q 3007

Wasn't Jerry Jacobson the "second highest bidder" for this locomotive? I think we all know where and what it would be doing today if Jerry won it!Smokebox

Author:  Bob Kutella [ Thu Sep 29, 2005 7:44 am ]
Post subject:  Re: 4-6-4 Restoration in the Midwest

I do not believe there have been any announcements about IRM doing work to get the 3007 running, although it is a valued addition to the IRM collection.As for the UP 428, an enormous amount of work has been done on this engine and I only have great respect and admiration for the IRM Steam Department. If all goes well there ought to be a fire in her belly before we all go trick or treating this Halloween. Still a ways from running in regular service but an important milestone.So, tell me Terry, did you avail yourself of the 19 days of steam on our schedule last year when the announcement was made that the 1630 would be undergoing repairs? Or the 30 year history of IRM steam operations?Bob Kutella

Author:  JohnCloos [ Thu Sep 29, 2005 9:44 am ]
Post subject:  Re: 4-6-4 Restoration in the Midwest

I beleive the engine in question may be the Frisco engine in central Illinois (Taylorville ?). At least 5 years ago, and probably a bit closer to 7 years at this point, a private group was involved in an attempt to bring this engine back to life. Long story short, too much work to be done and not enough volunteers and/or money. Not sure of what the status of this locomotive is now, or even if it's still in Taylorville. I do recall that this restoration effort was pretty advanced, not sure how much more work would need to be done to get it operational at this point. As I remember it, this was a 2-8-2 engine though, not a 4-6-4. I know there was a concerted effort to sell this engine to help offset some of the monies already spent.As far as comments about IRM's steam, or any perceived lack thereof, and for that matter any other organization's steam operations, I would offer these observations. First and foremost, restoration and operation of steam equipment is harder, more involved and more expensive than similar work for either diesel or electric equipment. Add to that the numerous regulations, which any casual reading of these boards (and similar ones) will show seem to change on a regular basis, it's a difficult job just to keep your head above water and able to operate legally. (We won't even discuss insurance costs)My other observation is just the people numbers. I've been a regular visitor to IRM (in this example) for the past 30 years. I am personally amazed, and honestly I can't say enough, about the efforts of their steam department. In 30 years, it never seems like there is more than 2-3 people at any one time working in their steam shop. Many times, it seems there is no one working at all. Part of the reason for this has been explained to me that the steam restorers are also, by default, the primary steam operators(Basically you can't work and run at the same time !)Yet IRM has managed to operate steam, on a regular and pretty consistent basis over the years, sometimes operating more than one steam engine at a time. Their record, I think, stands on it's own.A final thought as I type this,, while we would all love to see the likes of a CB&Q 4-8-4 pounding across the Illinois cornfields (or insert your favorite engine/locale), it's semi-sorta unfeasible. Even if IRM (in this example) operationally restored any of their larger engines, where do they run it ?IRM has one of the longer museum runs in the country, even their mainline doesn't begin to do justice to an engine the size of CB&Q 3007. Operating offine, in the manner of the Milw 261 group brings a whole new set of issues, including manpower, costs, additional parts, equipment (train), insurance, and oh by the way,,, cooperation from whichever railroad you're hoping to operate on. Not saying that it couldn't /wouldn't / shouldn't be done,, but you're speaking about a significant magnitude of difficulty over and above just lighting a fire in the firebox.

Author:  hi-plains [ Thu Sep 29, 2005 10:01 am ]
Post subject:  SLSF 1352 (was: 4-6-4 Restoration in the Midwest)

[quote="FoxValley"]I beleive the engine in question may be the Frisco engine in central Illinois (Taylorville ?). At least 5 years ago, and probably a bit closer to 7 years at this point, a private group was involved in an attempt to bring this engine back to life. Long story short, too much work to be done and not enough volunteers and/or money. Not sure of what the status of this locomotive is now, or even if it's still in Taylorville. I do recall that this restoration effort was pretty advanced, not sure how much more work would need to be done to get it operational at this point. As I remember it, this was a 2-8-2 engine though, not a 4-6-4. I know there was a concerted effort to sell this engine to help offset some of the monies already spent.[/quote]Frisco 1352 is still safely ensconced inside the Taylorville, Illinois enginehouse. There was a restoration plan developed by a steam restorer whose name escapes me at the moment. Asbestos abatement and some tender work were accomplished before t5he project fizzled for lack of $$.

Author:  Steve C [ Thu Sep 29, 2005 11:49 am ]
Post subject:  Re: CB&Q 3007

There were flyers sent out by IRM on the 3007. It said "Help Save the CB&Q 3007". I don't believe that they ever stated they were planning to restore it, but they did call it a good candidate for restoration. The locomotive was purchased at the afore mentioned auction in Iowa, but the other bidder was not Jerery Jacobson, but was the Escanaba & Lake Superior. Why the E&LS wanted it, I don't know, but IRM did have to pay a premium price for her at the time. At the time, I didn't agree with the purchase as I thought that the funds would have been better spent on the on-going restorations of their existing locomotives or to their shops as it seemed like the locomotive was most likely going to be restored by the #2 bidder. Although I have been a member of IRM for many years, the only work I have ever done is some gofer word in the internal combustion department and have also helped fire up the 1630 before. I have the utmost respect for the hard work that goes on in their steam department. I have watched the rebirth of the 428 from a rusted hulk to be very close to an operation locomotive. They have several projects that are in the dissembled state that should be addressed once the 428 is done. (J Niles Shay, Tuskeegee 101, L&A ??, and an 0-4-0 tank engine that all need to be either put back together or have their restorations completed before they even think of taking on a huge project like the 3007. As for off-campus excursions, the Nebraska Zepher is their prime unit for such a venue. Just my $.02Steve

Author:  Bob Kutella [ Thu Sep 29, 2005 6:50 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: CB&Q 3007

Thanks to all for the supportive comments for the IRM steam program.The shay, J Nells (Klickitat Logging & Lumber) 5 needs new tubes; new tubes are there, I think have been have been swaged, and new superheater flues are ready to put in.GN&A 26 is a 1926 Baldwin 2-6-0 that may have a pretty good boiler. I believe we hyro tested it at 200 psi while I was working on the wood in the cab. Since then a section of the firebox sides have been removed for replacing, but it is a possibulity.The Frisco 1630 needs some wheelwork and driver box work, as well as rod bearings, but we are not ready to walk away from it.The Tuskeegee 101 used to operate on our line and it was deemed to need a new pony truck. Subsequently the smokebox needs a new section and the tubes are weak. Since that work was started, the regs have changed so I do not know the extent or feasibility of completing that one.The 0-4-0T mentioned was from American Creosote (Jackson TN) built by Vulcan. It is restorable but down on the list. I think originally Brooklyn Navy Yard.One of the things that will break the logjam on many of these projects is a drop pit for removing and repairing driver wheelsets. The concrete work is done, and a Whiting mechanism, elevator and traversing car, has been restored and is ready to go into the pit. Rails may be laid in the bottom in a week or two. The cradle is also done, ready to be used. So when that happens look for some immediate gratification on at least one of the projects. There has also been steady progress on an enormous wheel lathe in the south steam shop addition, and I assume it will get some use on the driver sets as they are renewed.Bob Kutella

Author:  Scott [ Fri Sep 30, 2005 1:17 am ]
Post subject:  Re: CB&Q 3007

Bob:Only because I'm an old Montana boy, I must correct the spelling of the great logging company out of Libby, Montana.It is J. Neils.It would be fun to see one of those CB&Q S-4's scorching up some mainline one of these days. We can always hope.Scott

Author:  softwerkslex [ Fri Sep 30, 2005 2:42 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: CB&Q 3007

I remember watching Tuskegee 101 shove the N&W 2-8-8-2 around the curve and up the shop track when I was 9 years old. The place was closed and my mom wanted to leave, but I would not budge. It was quite a show.

Page 1 of 1 All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group
http://www.phpbb.com/