Railway Preservation News
https://www.rypn.org/forums/

T&NO 745?
https://www.rypn.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=18871
Page 1 of 1

Author:  P2c3689 [ Wed Oct 26, 2005 10:02 pm ]
Post subject:  T&NO 745?

Has anyone heard about how T&NO 2-8-2 #745 and the members of their group survived the hurricane? I read in the article in R&R that this engine is stored in New Orleans.Regards,Trevor H.

Author:  Eric B. NJMT [ Thu Oct 27, 2005 3:03 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: T&NO 745?

I asked a little while back. I was told that the locomotive was in a part of town that didn't flood and that the locomotive only had broken glass. They said that a bearing on the locomotive was running hot during their runs so that has to addressed before the locomotive makes a run again. If anything I stated here is wrong I'm sorry and I'm sure someone from that group will correct me.-Eric B.

Author:  Eric B. NJMT [ Thu Oct 27, 2005 3:06 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: T&NO 745?

I found the thred I started and here is what a member told me.
Quote:
The 745 escaped relatively unscathed from the hurricane. From what I have been told,the engine was in about eight inches of water,and the firemans' cab window was broken. We have some work to do on her before our next adventure,but as soon as people can get into the area with regularity ( as in move back to New Orleans) work will begin to rectify her bearing troubles.

Author:  tim o'm [ Thu Oct 27, 2005 11:55 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: T&NO 745?

One topic I wished was covered in the articles of the bicentennial train was which five flags were flying on the front of the smoke box. I imagine one was the Louisiana state flag, but the other four were not readily recognizable for me. Anyone know?

Author:  johnacraft [ Fri Oct 28, 2005 8:14 am ]
Post subject:  Re: T&NO 745?

The Louisiana state flag,The United States flag,The French flag (France ruled Louisiana 1682-1762, and 1800-1803),The Spanish flag (Spain ruled Louisiana 1762-1800),and I don't recognize the fifth.JAC

Author:  whodom [ Fri Oct 28, 2005 8:28 am ]
Post subject:  Re: T&NO 745?

Well, it seems like it should have been the "stars and bars" (the Confederate national flag), but that's become politically incorrect in recent times so it may have been something else.

Author:  johnacraft [ Fri Oct 28, 2005 8:57 am ]
Post subject:  Re: T&NO 745?

http://www.sos.louisiana.gov/around/bri ... -1.htmIt's pretty visible in the R&R article, but tt's not any of these. I'll hazard a guess that it's LASTA's own banner.JAC

Author:  Txhighballer [ Fri Oct 28, 2005 12:08 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: T&NO 745?

I feel bad that I don't know the answer to the flag issue....and I was ON the trip!( I was a little bit busy though....)

Author:  Dave [ Fri Oct 28, 2005 12:17 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: T&NO 745?

whodom wrote:
Well, it seems like it should have been the "stars and bars" (the Confederate national flag), but that's become politically incorrect in recent times so it may have been something else.
Please somebody who knows confirm: was there actually a confederate national flag? I have been told the flag we consider the confederate emblem was actually the battle flag of the Army of Northern Virginia. I'd certainly like to know at this late stage of my life just what symbol is really appropriate in what historic venue.dave

Author:  Erik Ledbetter [ Fri Oct 28, 2005 12:36 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: T&NO 745?

Yes, three confederate national flags at least. The longest-used one is the Stars and Bars, and it is not the "Dukes of Hazzard" flag. Learn all you can stand here:http://www.confederateflags.org/

Author:  Stephen S. Syfrett [ Fri Oct 28, 2005 1:32 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: T&NO 745?

Here you go, Dave.The first Confederate States of America flag was the Stars & Bars, very similar to the latest State of Georgia flag, but with 13 stars in a circle in the blue union (or canton) in the upper left corner.The second CSA flag consisted of a white field with the Cross of St. Andrew in the union at the upper left corner.Due to problems with the second CSA flag being easily confused as a flag of surrender when hanging limp on a pole on a breezeless day, it was modified in 1865 to add a wide vertical red band along the right edge of the field. This was the last official flag of the Confederacy.The Cross of St. Andrew, either square or expanded to a rectangular flag shape, were used as the Battle Flag.There was also the "Bonnie Blue" flag, a blue field with a single large white star in the middle.That's about all I can recall.

Author:  Dave [ Fri Oct 28, 2005 3:10 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: T&NO 745? / flags

Oh boy - too many choices. Too much information overload. Seems like if one were to be working on a railroad-based reenactment, it is probable that several different flags may well be required. Thanks for the mass of good information. If nothing else, I can use it to refute the politically correct when they voice objection to the wrong banner.dave

Author:  tim o'm [ Tue Nov 01, 2005 11:26 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: T&NO 745?

After scouring the Railfan article and the Trains article, plus an atlas kept near my desk, my guess is that flag no. 5 might be that of Mississippi, since the rails took this train through MS for part of its run.

Page 1 of 1 All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group
http://www.phpbb.com/