It is currently Fri Oct 02, 2026 4:31 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: 765's return
PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2005 9:19 pm 

Joined: Sun Aug 22, 2004 6:33 pm
Posts: 112
I saw pictures today of 765's fire-up this weekend and I did a double-take. I didn't expect the cosmetic changes-BLACK, not graphite smokebox, gold bell, no more chrome cylinder covers and white border on the number plate! Looks good, though. Good job, FWRHS.


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 765's return
PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2005 12:29 pm 

Joined: Sun Aug 22, 2004 8:28 am
Posts: 2733
Location: Salt Lake City, Utah
It appears to me that FWRRHS returned 765 to her "as delivered" appearence. Notice the lack of brass bell, common on locomotives built during World War II. Also, notice the font used in her illuminated numberboards. The font is identical to the font used by the C&O. I remember seeing this in a book that the specifications to Lima didn't specify a particular font, so Lima used the C&O font. I believed the NKP replaced the glass as the locomotives fairly soon. I can't find a good photo of the "Nickel Plate Road" on the tender to see if they used a variation on the lettering that didn't last long either.


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: that's correct
PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2005 12:48 pm 

Joined: Thu Aug 26, 2004 2:53 pm
Posts: 660
wilkinsd wrote:
It appears to me that FWRRHS returned 765 to her "as delivered" appearence.
Right on all counts, including the tender lettering. All the details, right down to the equipment trust plate on the smokebox, were researched.I understand they plan to run in this configuration for a year or two before making some cosmetic changes *cough*marslight*cough*.JAC


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: that's correct
PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2005 2:33 pm 

Joined: Tue Jan 25, 2005 4:03 pm
Posts: 949
John,For those of us in the group that can appreciate the Mars Light look, we'll have better luck restoring 759 to service and keeping the Mars on her then convincing the crew to punch holes in the new smokebox door for the oscilating light on the 765 ;)Now, we need to get the authentic "swinging-tail" R on the Nickel Plate Road on the tender...Look for a plethora of photos on the website this week.

_________________
Kelly Lynch
Executive Director
Fort Wayne Railroad Historical Society, Inc
http://www.fortwaynerailroad.org
https://www.indianarailexperience.org/


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: that's correct
PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2005 6:01 pm 

Joined: Sun Aug 22, 2004 5:19 pm
Posts: 2701
Location: Sackets Harbor, NY
My congratulations to everyone who contributed to the just concluded total overhaul of NKP765! Now let's hope they have good hunting finding the right formula to get her back running on the High Iron! Ross Rowland


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: that's correct
PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2005 7:53 am 

Joined: Thu Aug 26, 2004 2:53 pm
Posts: 660
nathansixchime wrote:
John,For those of us in the group that can appreciate the Mars Light look, we'll have better luck restoring 759 to service and keeping the Mars on her then convincing the crew to punch holes in the new smokebox door for the oscilating light on the 765 ;)
Oh, I don't know . . . does Wayne have a favorite tipple? I'll bring the drill ;)JAC


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 765's return
PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2005 11:08 pm 

Joined: Sun Sep 12, 2004 8:28 pm
Posts: 7
It was well worth the three hour trip from Detroit to see the results of the work of the multitude. As a participant in the steam railroad restoration industry it was the little things that were impressive. What really got me was the wire brushed binder nuts. Next question, will it run?I'm kidding of course. It's a beautiful job and all that participated should be very proud.Rod Crawford


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: yell's bells
PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2005 7:53 pm 

Joined: Thu Sep 16, 2004 7:17 pm
Posts: 553
Location: Ballard, WA
I've been wondering if yellow painted bells were because of the war effort or just a cosmetic effort. I've been pondering if the bell on the C&O 1601 was originally yellow or just painted that way later by the C&O. I know the cab gauges were painted over in "silver" for the cosmetic restoration, but have since been redone and nicely conserved for the very few people who wander up there.1601 was built in december '41 so it was right at the beginning of the war.I'm excited to hear the 765 is up and running. I could give two shakes that it's not the way it looked before it was overhauled. I'm glad there is a sense of preserving history by maintaining its "as delivered" appearance. Anybody who belly aches should keep their comments to themselves unless they add their blood and sweat to steam preservation.


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: yell's bells
PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2005 9:52 pm 

Joined: Thu Sep 09, 2004 10:15 pm
Posts: 60
Location: Ohio
MARS LIGHT!Over my dead body. ;-)

_________________
Rich Melvin
Retired NKP 765 Engineer


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Put up or shut up has no place in a responsible discussion
PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2005 1:08 pm 

In Re:"Anybody who belly aches should keep their comments to themselves unless they add their blood and sweat to steam preservation." The put up or shut up sentiment is not condusive to an environment that encourages a forthright and informative discussion. While it is expressed by many active in preservation - it does NOTHING to bring new resources (time, money etc.) to the movement - instead it only drives them away. We can do better. The topic of as delivered vs. last in service form and function is of critical importance in any historical restoration. Locomotives, cars, buildings etc. are living objects in the sense that they are adapted to suit new uses. Discussing how incremental improvements can be documented and preserved and wheither they should be incorporated into the final restorations will ultimately help to improve the quality of our collective efforts and increase the legitmacy of the movement as a whole.Tom Cornillie


  
 
 Post subject: Re: Put up or shut up has no place in a responsible discussi
PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2005 5:26 pm 

Joined: Sun Aug 22, 2004 11:54 am
Posts: 746
Location: Michigan
Oh, come on Chris and Tom; can't we just settle this out in proper railyard fashion? Monkey Wrenchs at twenty paces? Inspection Hammers maybe?TJ


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Put up or shut up has no place
PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2005 5:30 pm 

How about a good pelting of marshmellows behind the coal pile?


  
 
 Post subject: we're all in this together
PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2005 6:26 pm 

Joined: Thu Sep 16, 2004 7:17 pm
Posts: 553
Location: Ballard, WA
I have aesthetics, but I can't have everything my way since I don't manage nor own any equipment. I have a model railroad, so that's for my dreaming. I'll just 'settle any score' there is by continuing efforts to make sure a certain 1873 steam locomotive will be running in 2006, and, by the way, it is not in its as-delivered appearance.


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: now now..
PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2005 10:08 pm 

Joined: Mon Sep 13, 2004 8:10 pm
Posts: 101
Location: Michigan
T.J.Monkey wrenches may be the answer. Inspection hammers aren't heavy enough. You would have to use something with some heft to it in order to knock some sense into some people.Besides if that 1873 choo choo was restored to its as delivered appearance it would fall between the rails.


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: now now..
PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2005 10:01 am 

Joined: Thu Sep 16, 2004 7:17 pm
Posts: 553
Location: Ballard, WA
whoops! I forgot about the gauge. It's would also be a pain to couple to anything.Can I have a doe's foot?


Offline
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Jump to: