Railway Preservation News
https://www.rypn.org/forums/

Bath & Hammondsport question
https://www.rypn.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=18967
Page 1 of 1

Author:  bobyar2001 [ Thu Nov 10, 2005 5:19 pm ]
Post subject:  Bath & Hammondsport question

One of our engineers, who is from Hammondsport, says the B&H shut down some years ago, but the track is still in place and the two Also S1s and passenger cars are still present. Anyone been there lately? I think the Davenport 0-6-0 from Quebec went elsewhere (Pa.?) for display.http://abpr.railfan.net/abprphoto.cgi?m ... -71GHL.jpg

Author:  scottychaos [ Thu Nov 10, 2005 6:29 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Bath & Hammondsport question

The B&H still exists!it now a subsidiary of the Livonia, Avon & Lakeville.The new B&H enginehouse is in Cohocton, NY.the LAL runs trains from Cohocton to the NS interchange at Gang Mills,along the former DL&W mainline.The original B&H mainline between Bath and Hammondsport is however out of service..thats probably where the rumours of the B&H "shutting down" come from,because trains dont run on the old B&H tracks anymore.the B&H mainline is out of service, and likely will never return to service.the rails are still in place though.The B&H now operates Cohocton, through Bath, to Gang Mills.rather than Bath to Hammondsport.The LAL painted up Alco C424 #422 into B&H markings!the largest locomotive ever lettered for the B&H:http://www.railfan.net/railpix/submit/subphoto.cgi?scotlawrence/BH-AlcoC424-422.jpgThe two ancestral B&H Alco S1's also still exist, both kept a Cohocton.they dont seem to get used much, they dont go out on the road anymore.but I believe both are servicable and are on the active LAL roster.http://www.railfan.net/railpix/submit/s ... -5.jpgScot

Author:  Jim Vaitkunas [ Thu Nov 10, 2005 8:17 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Bath & Hammondsport question

Question:Is the gorgeous station at Hammondport still standing and what is it being used for now? When I visited in the 70s, the B&H had its office in the station.If I could I would send a photo of the station I took when visiting Tony Hannold and family in the 1970s. Tony ran the line then. He later moved to operate the Delmarva lines and then the Arkansas & Missouri RR.

Author:  scottychaos [ Fri Nov 11, 2005 9:02 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Bath & Hammondsport question

Jim Vaitkunas wrote:
Question:Is the gorgeous station at Hammondport still standing and what is it being used for now?
yep! still standing!it is being used for offices now (not used by the railroad)I would assume the town, since the sign on the front says "Town of Urbana"the tracks no longer run to the station, they end about 1/4 mile away.Imagethe sign says:Town of UrbanaDepot ParkPurchased 1995Dedicated 2004Scot

Page 1 of 1 All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group
http://www.phpbb.com/