Railway Preservation News
https://www.rypn.org/forums/

Thomas and Shop boiler
https://www.rypn.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=18972
Page 1 of 1

Author:  Les Beckman [ Fri Nov 11, 2005 7:07 pm ]
Post subject:  Thomas and Shop boiler

I've been following the recent thread on Thomas which started out with a reference to Toby the Tram Engine. Now I see where a mention is made of a 2' gauge steam locomotive built originally for the B&SR in Maine which ended its days as a boiler in the Shop of the WW&F before that line was abandoned back in 1933, much before its recent incarnation. This made me think of a question that really doesn't belong on that Thomas thread so I thought I would introduce it here.Back in 1963, I had the opportunity to ride a fan trip behind Duluth, Missabe & Iron Range 2-10-2 # 514 in which the train took a side trip over the Duluth & Northeastern Railroad behind doubleheaded D&NE 2-8-0's numbers 14 and 27. While touring the D&NE's Shop building at Cloquet, it was discovered that an old steam locomotive provided heat (and power?) for the building. So, two questions:1. What locomotive was the boiler from?2. And, since I think that the D&NE still exists, is the Shop and boiler still around?Thanks.Les Beckman (Hoosier Valley Railroad Museum/North Judson, Indiana)

Author:  survivingworldsteam [ Sat Nov 12, 2005 1:16 am ]
Post subject:  Stationary Boilers in General

Les;I can't answer your question, but I would like to know more about steam locomotives surviving as stationary boilers in North America. Besides the one at Teft Spur, I believe either the C&TSRR or D&S have one in their roundhouse, and I believe there is a sawmill out west that uses one or two.Some of the survivors in Mexico are stationary boilers; albeit still esentailly complete. Is that right; are there any others?-James Hefner Hebrews 10:20a Surviving World Steam Project

Author:  Erik Ledbetter [ Sat Nov 12, 2005 10:15 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Stationary Boilers in General

survivingworldsteam wrote:
I believe either the C&TSRR or D&S have one in their roundhouse
It's the C&TS Chama Roundhouse, and it's actually a pair of locomotive boilers:http://users.ev1.net/~jastacey/C&T144.htm

Author:  BILL [ Sat Nov 12, 2005 12:37 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Stationary Boilers in General

There was a locomotive boiler set up as a stationary boiler in the C&O enginehouse at Thurmond, WV. Never did find any builders number on it, and I'd assume it was scrapped when the facility was leveled several years ago.

Author:  Mikechoochoo [ Sun Nov 13, 2005 12:07 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Stationary Boilers in General

As a side note, both of the locomotives that Don Lind has in Annandale MN. survived because they were parked and used to supply steam as stationary boilers. The smaller one is missing its branch pipes because the "good ole boys" would disconnect the steam line and take it for a ride at night. The owner had them removed.

Page 1 of 1 All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group
http://www.phpbb.com/