It is currently Wed Sep 30, 2026 4:25 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: Thomas and Shop boiler
PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2005 7:07 pm 

Joined: Tue Aug 02, 2005 1:25 pm
Posts: 6485
I've been following the recent thread on Thomas which started out with a reference to Toby the Tram Engine. Now I see where a mention is made of a 2' gauge steam locomotive built originally for the B&SR in Maine which ended its days as a boiler in the Shop of the WW&F before that line was abandoned back in 1933, much before its recent incarnation. This made me think of a question that really doesn't belong on that Thomas thread so I thought I would introduce it here.Back in 1963, I had the opportunity to ride a fan trip behind Duluth, Missabe & Iron Range 2-10-2 # 514 in which the train took a side trip over the Duluth & Northeastern Railroad behind doubleheaded D&NE 2-8-0's numbers 14 and 27. While touring the D&NE's Shop building at Cloquet, it was discovered that an old steam locomotive provided heat (and power?) for the building. So, two questions:1. What locomotive was the boiler from?2. And, since I think that the D&NE still exists, is the Shop and boiler still around?Thanks.Les Beckman (Hoosier Valley Railroad Museum/North Judson, Indiana)


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Stationary Boilers in General
PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2005 1:16 am 
User avatar

Joined: Sun Aug 22, 2004 1:45 am
Posts: 1138
Location: Beaumont, Texas
Les;I can't answer your question, but I would like to know more about steam locomotives surviving as stationary boilers in North America. Besides the one at Teft Spur, I believe either the C&TSRR or D&S have one in their roundhouse, and I believe there is a sawmill out west that uses one or two.Some of the survivors in Mexico are stationary boilers; albeit still esentailly complete. Is that right; are there any others?-James Hefner Hebrews 10:20a Surviving World Steam Project


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Stationary Boilers in General
PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2005 10:15 am 

Joined: Thu Aug 19, 2004 2:19 pm
Posts: 1124
Location: Washington, D.C.
survivingworldsteam wrote:
I believe either the C&TSRR or D&S have one in their roundhouse
It's the C&TS Chama Roundhouse, and it's actually a pair of locomotive boilers:http://users.ev1.net/~jastacey/C&T144.htm

_________________
Erik Ledbetter
www.steamsafari.com


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Stationary Boilers in General
PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2005 12:37 pm 

Joined: Mon Feb 21, 2005 9:07 pm
Posts: 152
Location: The beautiful piney woods of East Texas
There was a locomotive boiler set up as a stationary boiler in the C&O enginehouse at Thurmond, WV. Never did find any builders number on it, and I'd assume it was scrapped when the facility was leveled several years ago.


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Stationary Boilers in General
PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2005 12:07 am 

Joined: Sun Aug 22, 2004 6:10 pm
Posts: 237
As a side note, both of the locomotives that Don Lind has in Annandale MN. survived because they were parked and used to supply steam as stationary boilers. The smaller one is missing its branch pipes because the "good ole boys" would disconnect the steam line and take it for a ride at night. The owner had them removed.

_________________
M. Nix


Offline
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Jump to: