Railway Preservation News
https://www.rypn.org/forums/

A1 4472
https://www.rypn.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=18982
Page 1 of 1

Author:  bobyar2001 [ Sun Nov 13, 2005 1:31 am ]
Post subject:  A1 4472

Leaving Wood Green Tunnel in 1925. I presume this is the same engine we know as the A3 Flying Scotsman today?http://abpr.railfan.net/abprphoto.cgi?march04/03-28-04/a1_4472d_leaving_wood_green_tunnel.1925.jpg

Author:  Joshua K. Blay [ Sun Nov 13, 2005 8:55 am ]
Post subject:  Re: A1 4472

More or less.J

Author:  Gavin Hamilton [ Sun Nov 13, 2005 3:18 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: A1 4472

Well the nameplates and worksplates might be original. Over here the collection of bits that went into the works *might" be included in the collection bits that appear from the other end sometime later.G

Author:  Alexander D. Mitchell IV [ Sun Nov 13, 2005 7:44 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: A1 4472

I might actually argue "no". The original A1 4472 was rebuilt by the LNER at Doncaster in November 1946 to an A3. This involved replacement of the 180psi boiler with a 220psi boiler, with the square plates seen on the upper sides of the firebox behind the chimney to accommodate the superheater courses. Then, in February and March 1948, she underwent heavy overhaul in Doncaster, which included replacement of that boiler with the A3 boiler complete with "banjo dome" rather than the derby-shaped original dome seen in the 1925 photo. An overhaul in 1997-8 included the replacement of the centre cylinder. I'm not certain, but I believe that the ownership of 4472 (which has passed from Pegler to MacAlpine to Marchington to Flying Scotsman Associates to the NRM-York) includes, among other spares and parts, a spare A3 boiler!

Author:  Joshua K. Blay [ Sun Nov 13, 2005 9:09 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: A1 4472

They do indeed own an A3 boiler and I believe there is much fuss over NRM's decision to do extensive repairs to the boiler rather then buy a new one.J

Author:  robertjohndavis [ Sun Nov 13, 2005 9:18 pm ]
Post subject:  How to make her look Re: A1 4472

If anyone thinks the US has a lock on foaming, tap into the debates about #4472. Essentially, there are camps who claim that each "look" she had in service is the "best" look for her now. Essentially, she ended her working days as a much modified A1 cum A3 with German style smoke lifters to go under her new chimney. Yet, if you read some of the railfan press in the UK, you'd think she was as pure as A1 snow.Very amusing.Rob

Author:  wilkinsd [ Sun Nov 13, 2005 10:42 pm ]
Post subject:  Salmon Trout

I believe Pegler bought an extra boiler from BR 60041 Salmon Trout, and I thought the cylinders from that locomotive were still in existence.

Author:  Gavin Hamilton [ Mon Nov 14, 2005 5:21 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Salmon Trout

The locomotive as it exists today is a bit of a mongrel. The boiler is off an A4 (not sure about which one). I recall reading that Doncaster were not averse to replacing frames either hence my comment earlier about the Nameplates and worksplates being only original parts - and I'm not sure about the nameplates....G

Page 1 of 1 All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group
http://www.phpbb.com/