| Railway Preservation News https://www.rypn.org/forums/ |
|
| Eureka mystery location https://www.rypn.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=18989 |
Page 1 of 1 |
| Author: | bobyar2001 [ Sun Nov 13, 2005 5:21 pm ] |
| Post subject: | Eureka mystery location |
Dan Markoff's beautiful Eureka, but at what location? I don't recognize it.http://abpr.railfan.net/abprphoto.cgi?m ... enColl.jpg |
|
| Author: | Eric B. NJMT [ Sun Nov 13, 2005 6:08 pm ] |
| Post subject: | Re: Eureka mystery location |
I think that is at Rail Fair in Sacramento. I might be wrong though. |
|
| Author: | johnacraft [ Sun Nov 13, 2005 6:40 pm ] |
| Post subject: | Re: Eureka mystery location |
Eric's right - Railfair '91.If I can find it, I'll scan the slide I took of both Eurekas together - the original, and a live-steam miniature replica.JAC |
|
| Author: | JohnG [ Mon Nov 14, 2005 12:33 am ] |
| Post subject: | Re: Eureka mystery location |
Yes, looks like old sac, by the CP train shed. |
|
| Author: | Ed Kelley [ Mon Nov 14, 2005 2:39 pm ] |
| Post subject: | Re: Eureka mystery location |
Quote: If I can find it, I'll scan the slide I took of both Eurekas together - the original, and a live-steam miniature replica. If it was 15" gauge, it was not a rendition of the "Eureka" but rather the North Pacific Coast #12 "Sonoma" which is on display inside the museum (another of the three 'surviving members' of its class, the third being the former Santa Cruz Railway #3 "Jupiter"). CSRM also now has the 15" as it was donated last year after the death of its builder, Frank Allen. The Orland Newville & Pacific in Glenn County, CA, the railroad built for this locomotive to run on when completed in '91, continues to run with a diesel locomotive out of the restored (and relocated) SP depot in Orland. A Sac. Shops-built Consol. is on display nearby as well.
|
|
| Author: | Brian Norden [ Tue Nov 15, 2005 1:46 am ] |
| Post subject: | Re: Eureka location - when and where |
The location is in Old Sacramento in front of the replica CP station. The track is temporary and laid on top of the pavement; that makes it during the 1991 10th anniversary of CSRM. There is now permanent dual gauge track at that location.It is also the first public outing of the Eureka after its restoration. The paint was barely dry when it was loaded upon the low-boy trailer for the trip to Sacramento. That is why Dan Markoff is asking for an extension to the FRA 15-year rule. He babies the engine. There was a discussion a couple of months ago about this on the ng discussion board.I remember watching it being unloaded and talking to Betty Kimball, Ward Kimball's wife, as we both leaned against the CP station building. Betty said that they had seen the engine when it was at Hobart Estate while they were on their honeymoon trip. They were smitten by it; but as a young couple they were unable to consider obtaining the locomotive. So a few years later they bought Nevada Central #2 which became their Grizzly Flates RR #2. |
|
| Author: | johnacraft [ Tue Nov 15, 2005 12:08 pm ] |
| Post subject: | Re: Eureka mystery location |
Ed Kelley wrote: If it was 15" gauge, it was not a rendition of the "Eureka" but rather the North Pacific Coast #12 "Sonoma" That's probably it.JAC
|
|
| Page 1 of 1 | All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ] |
| Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group http://www.phpbb.com/ |
|