It is currently Mon Sep 28, 2026 9:39 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Biggest 0-8-0
PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2005 12:39 pm 

Joined: Sun Aug 22, 2004 9:35 am
Posts: 8139
Location: Wilton, NY
None survived, but available in three scales in model form. Indiana Harbor Belt 101, at Gibson Yard in Indiana, Sept. 1, 1933:http://abpr.railfan.net/abprphoto.cgi?april04/04-08-04/ihb101.jpg


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Biggest 0-8-0
PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2005 6:04 pm 

Joined: Wed Nov 16, 2005 5:33 pm
Posts: 6
Wow,Now that's what you call huge. Think about it, all that weight resting on a set of drivers with no leading or trailing trucks. That's one weird engine. Joe...

_________________
L&C #40
Image
www.newhoperailroad.com


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Biggest 0-8-0
PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2005 9:11 pm 

Joined: Mon Oct 11, 2004 8:24 pm
Posts: 283
Location: New Jersey
That had to have been a hard ride.

_________________
Eric Bolton
Superintendent/Owner
East Tigard & Southern RR Co.


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 0-8-0's/Hard ride??
PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2005 10:31 pm 

Joined: Tue Aug 02, 2005 1:25 pm
Posts: 6485
Eric:It would be interesting to hear from engineers and firemen who operated 0-8-0's in yard service as to just how rough riding they WERE! Surely there must still be some crewmen around who had 0-8-0's from some of the last users of the type in regular service; GTW, N&W, IC, NKP, C&O, GN, perhaps other roads. Were they REALLY that hard riding? Or did the fact that they stayed in yard service where the speeds were moderate, keep the ride liveable?I seem to recall reading somewhere of the fact that 0-8-0's could run a yard quicker than the diesel switchers that replaced them. Can't recall if I read that of IC or CV 0-8-0's, or some other road.Perhaps this rough riding was just a myth....and then again, maybe not.Les Beckman (Hoosier Valley Railroad Museum/North Judson, Indiana)


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Biggest 0-8-0
PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2005 1:54 am 

Joined: Mon Aug 23, 2004 9:18 pm
Posts: 168
Location: Staunton Va
That big engine, and all that weight on the drivers made it perfect for musculing around big cuts. And look, is that a tender booster?I wouldn't doubt that any steam engine could be a desiel switcher hands down when it comes to speed. Having my first real engineer exprinces on a 1910 climax and then going to a GP 40, I can defintely tell you that steam engines respond faster. The climax was allways in motion if the conductor could keep up with you, and the desiel just makes you impatient......


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 0-8-0's/Hard ride??
PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2005 6:57 am 

Joined: Sun Aug 22, 2004 8:31 am
Posts: 1341
Location: South Carolina
I once asked an N&W hostler in Portsmouth, Ohio about the N&W S-1 0-8-0's. He claimed they didn't ride badly at all.

_________________
Hugh Odom
The Ultimate Steam Page
http://www.trainweb.org/tusp


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 0-8-0's/Hard ride??
PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2005 11:19 am 

Joined: Mon Aug 23, 2004 9:18 pm
Posts: 168
Location: Staunton Va
A friend of mine had the privilage of running several of the C&O 0-8-0's to Balcony Falls for interchange with the N&W when they were sold. He claimed that that particular class ran and rode just like an automobile. I would guess that it might have something to do with being built so late, that maybe the technology was to the point that they could ride fairly well.


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Biggest 0-8-0
PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2005 4:01 pm 

Joined: Sun Nov 13, 2005 11:25 am
Posts: 85
Diesel-Electric performance in yard service is purely a matter of how your excitation is set up for "switch". I once had a governor on a geep 9 blow it's excitation portion. First notch gave full excitation, 1400 amps, and a minor case of whiplash.One of my biggest pet peeves was how certain "engineers" would use the "when in doubt, notch 'er out" philosophy, when all that was needed was 3 more seconds of patience to allow the load regulator rheostat to turn.R.C.Whitehead


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 0-8-0's/Hard ride??
PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2005 6:00 pm 

Joined: Sun Aug 22, 2004 4:00 pm
Posts: 42
Location: Columbia Missouri
At least in theory the IHB beast should have ridden a bit better. Three cylinder lokies were in general better ballanced than their twocylinder counterparts, yes? (Else no one would have bothered with the maintanance hastle, I should think, even in Europe where they seemed to like fitting things in tight spaces.) And if my memory serves the A&S 0-8-0 in S. Louis is quite similar. (A&S #12) The IHB version is a bit heavier, and has a slightly greater TE, but not by much, if I recall the stats out of the 1930 locomotive cyclopedia, where both of them were listed. The A&S lokie has a different front end throttle and no elesco feedwater heater, but is otherwise quite similar. Same buuilder and very similar plans.Sincerely,David


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 0-8-0's/Hard ride??
PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2005 6:10 pm 

Joined: Mon Aug 23, 2004 6:59 pm
Posts: 83
Location: St. Charles, MI
I rode around in the Saginaw yards with my grandfather a couple of times when I was a little rugrat. Both 0-8-0 switchers. One was PM1311 (Alco), and the other one, if I can believe old photographs, was PM1336 (Baldwin). I remember that they accelerated quickly (up to yard speed) and rode pretty good. They tended to "hobbyhorse" as the fireman said. In otherwords, pitch fore and aft as they started and stopped.Fred Stevens

_________________
"Yes, it can be fixed, but first we need to trim your wallet to size."


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: switching
PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2005 7:12 pm 

Joined: Thu Sep 16, 2004 7:17 pm
Posts: 553
Location: Ballard, WA
I like switching with steam more than diesel. The steam does respond faster, even though steam with no power reverse makes for a sore arm. The strangest thing about switching with steam is that the steam engine is soooo quiet at the start. I remember when I first saw the steam thomas run, I thought it was drifting.


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 0-8-0's/Hard ride??
PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2005 9:52 pm 

Joined: Tue Jan 25, 2005 4:03 pm
Posts: 949
My grandfather was the Master Mechanic and Roundhouse Foreman out of Gibson for a number of years before the NYC/IHB ended steam. His sentiment about the burly 0-8-0 is the same as those mentioned above, and he added in one writing that it rode like a "Studemaker at five miles an hour." My dad, who often took to riding on his father's lap in the engine, remembers that the particular locomotive shook like a building in an earthquake when pulling, but rode smooth as glass once it got its footing.Everytime I pass Gibson on the train, I find myself slightly green with envy...

_________________
Kelly Lynch
Executive Director
Fort Wayne Railroad Historical Society, Inc
http://www.fortwaynerailroad.org
https://www.indianarailexperience.org/


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: switching
PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2005 11:29 am 

Joined: Tue Aug 02, 2005 1:25 pm
Posts: 6485
Chris:Where did you do your switching with steam?Les


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: switching
PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2005 4:48 pm 

Joined: Thu Sep 16, 2004 7:17 pm
Posts: 553
Location: Ballard, WA
It's at Greenfield Village. There's usually a few cars to switch out or a hopper of coal to move. There is a GE 45 tonner to do the swtiching, but an 0-6-4T is nicer.


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: switching
PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2005 5:01 pm 

Joined: Sat Sep 04, 2004 4:52 pm
Posts: 114
Location: Omaha
Being the former switchman that I am, I often wondered what it would be like switching with steam. I took pride in timeliness and efficiency. so if steam is faster/more response than diesel, I'd kill to give it a shot.Gerald W. Kopiasz


Offline
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Jump to: