It is currently Fri Oct 02, 2026 3:30 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: Repost of Glasgow boiler photos
PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2005 12:05 am 

Joined: Sun Aug 22, 2004 4:00 pm
Posts: 42
Location: Columbia Missouri
I put them on webshots, so you're welcome to search for them there, but I was unable to link to them in webshots. (All the links just redirected to the webshots front page.) I couldn't seem to post the lins as images either, so as a last attempt, I've put them in yahoo photos, which has worked for me in the past. It limits the resolution you'll be able to view them at, but if you want larger versions, send me an e-mail at david_ackermans@yahoo.com and I'll mail you whatever pictures you are interested in. Here is the link to the photo album, and below is a description of what I make of the pictures. http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/david_ackerman/detail?.dir=7ed3&.dnm=102bre2.jpg&.src=ph1. An overview of the site 2. The boiler from the front 3. Backhead and view throufg firebox door. (Note that wither there is no water bottom, or it has rusted through. I need to double check this. I believe the firebox was simply open on the bottom, but I''ve been wrong before.) 4. The top of the dome, and a decent view of what I believe was the throttle gland on the backhead.5. A view of the backhead and boiler showing a flue through a rusted corner[/img] of the firebox, and the I-beam on the side fo the firebox. 6. The I-beam, firebox side, and dome, showing the seam on the dome fairly clearly. 7. The front of the boiler. I don't know how clear this will be on your monitor, (I've tried to lighten it up so that you can see inside the boiler) but in the original photgraph it is apparent that the flues terminate just inside the surviving boiler barrel, so what's there doesn't include the smokebox, if there ever was one. The front tube sheet is either mostly or entirely missing. (You can see something that might be the edges of the front tube sheet, but I'd have a hard time saying for sure.) It seems likely to me that there was another boiler course at one time that would have contained a smokebox. Obviously, the dry pipe, if there is one there, is obscured. You might be able to tell with closer examination, but I didn't notice it, and you can't see it in the picture (even with the original in front of you.) The hole in the bottom of the boiler suggests to me that there might have been something attached there at one time, perhaps the pin suggested earlier for a front axle on a traction engine, but whatever was there is gone now. 8. A piece of scrap showing a similar weathering and sediment pattern, possibly of similar age? Possibly related? (Not sure, but this one seems a more likely candidate than any of the other debris that I saw on the riverbed.) 9-11. Unrelated boiler fragments found nearby, (the first with a tube sheet.) I hope that this works a bit better, as I'd really like to hear what everyone has to say. The shape of the firebox seems like it might be more sonsistent with a traction engine, and the I-beam is suggestive. Sincerely, David Ackerman[/url]


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Repost of Glasgow boiler photos
PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2005 1:24 am 
User avatar

Joined: Sun Aug 22, 2004 1:45 am
Posts: 1138
Location: Beaumont, Texas
David;My thoughts:1. I don't believe it is a steam locomotive at all. The bottom edges of the water legs are rounded; suggesting to me that it had a wet bottom boiler. I would expect to see a squared off bottom on a locomotive boiler, with provision for grates and an ash pan underneath.2. The straight top boiler with the steam dome set back over the firebox reminds me of either a portable steam boiler, or portable steam engine. The channel iron along the firebox sides would appear to be for mounting the rear wheels.3. I also do not believe it is a stationary boiler. Would not rule out a boiler for a steamboat; given its location; but that would not rule out a portable steam boiler; it may have been mounted aboard a riverboat.If I were you, I would bring a shovel on my next visit, and try to clear off the top of the boiler. I would be looking for mounting studs or anything else that might suggest that something was mounted on top of the boiler. If it is a smooth as the rest of the boiler surface; then I would say it was a portable boiler. It reminds of the big boilers on wheels or skids they used to use on steam powered oil rigs.These are just my musings; others may have differing thoughts. I would like to hear them.-James Hefner Hebrews 10:20a Surviving World Steam Project


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Repost of Glasgow boiler photos
PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2005 10:44 am 

Joined: Mon Aug 23, 2004 9:18 pm
Posts: 168
Location: Staunton Va
James,I agree with you that I don't think it's a locomotive boiler. But I've only seen one or two traction engine, and portable engines with boilers this big, and most of those didn't have a steam dome that big. Additionaly most of those had mounts that mounted to wooden timbers or directly to the wheels from the side sheets. I'd cast my lot on a stationary boiler, but i could be wrong.....Ben


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Repost of Glasgow boiler photos
PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2005 7:34 pm 

Joined: Sun Aug 22, 2004 4:00 pm
Posts: 42
Location: Columbia Missouri
My thanks to all. Seems the next step is to go back up and take another look. A portable boiler, appart from a steam tractor or other type of traction engine, is something I had not thought of at all. Good idea. I'll get some shots of the firebox bottom the next time I go, and a bit of digging might indeed be in order. (Both in the library, and in the riverbed.) The rounded firebox bottom certainly looks like a water bottom firebox, but Ithe firebox bottom is ceratinly open now, and I surely don't remeber it looking like it had rusted out. I'd almost swear that it looked like it was supposed to be that way. I'll try and get back up Friday maybe. Should be a good day for it.If nothing else I'll see what industries were along the street historically. See if there are anypictures. Maybe there's a county or local historical society. Figure I'll also talk to a co-worker of mine. He's an industrial archeologist by training, and might be able to offer some insight (And might be intersted.) I'll let you know wht I find next, and thanks again.Sincerely,David Ackerman


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Repost of Glasgow boiler photos
PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2005 1:57 pm 
User avatar

Joined: Sun Aug 22, 2004 1:45 am
Posts: 1138
Location: Beaumont, Texas
David, Benjamin;

There was a webpage with a picture of an oil field boiler that I remembered; but I couldn't find it at the time. Here it is:

http://www.geocities.com/espee9164/s.cal.oil.html

Scroll down to the middle of the page.

Notice the short smokebox and the flattened base of the smokestack; they are typical of a stationary boiler. I'm guessing it is because they have a taller stack and no blast pipe.

Notice also that it is a large boiler with a large steam dome. The boiler shell is otherwise clean. Due to the size of the boiler; this one has four wheels holding up the back end, and two wheels in front. I guess they moved it with a tractor; it would have been a horse-killer otherwise.

Anyway; this is what the boiler you found reminded me of.

-James Hefner
Hebrews 10:20a

Surviving World Steam Project


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Repost of Glasgow boiler photos
PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2005 2:06 pm 
User avatar

Joined: Sun Aug 22, 2004 1:45 am
Posts: 1138
Location: Beaumont, Texas
survivingworldsteam wrote:
David, Benjamin;

There was a webpage with a picture of an oil field boiler that I remembered; but I couldn't find it at the time. Here it is:

http://www.geocities.com/espee9164/s.cal.oil.html

Scroll down to the middle of the page.

Notice the short smokebox and the flattened base of the smokestack; they are typical of a stationary boiler. I'm guessing it is because they have a taller stack and no blast pipe.

Notice also that it is a large boiler with a large steam dome. The boiler shell is otherwise clean. Due to the size of the boiler; this one has four wheels holding up the back end, and two wheels in front. I guess they moved it with a tractor; it would have been a horse-killer otherwise.

Anyway; this is what the boiler you found reminded me of.


I don't if the following will work for you; but also take a look at the following thread on another board:

http://www.smokstak.com/forum/showthrea ... ge=2&pp=20

The last message at the bottom of this page has some thumbnails attached; the oil field boilers in the picture are a dead ringer for the one you found.

-James Hefner
Hebrews 10:20a

Surviving World Steam Project


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Repost of Glasgow boiler photos
PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2005 8:27 pm 

Joined: Sun Aug 22, 2004 4:00 pm
Posts: 42
Location: Columbia Missouri
It does indeed look remarkably similar. There are still several industries along the riverfront in Glasgow, including what I believe is a grist mill, and a small chemical depot of some kind. (Looked like mostly farming chemicals.) There is also a fairly industrial fuel station, that might have been appended to a small petrochemical plant of some kind, and this is clearly only a smapling of what was once there, so a portable boiler makes a great deal of sense as well as resembling what I saw. When they got done with it, they undoubtedly just pushed it and all its kindred in the river.

Thank you.

Sincerely,
David Ackerman


Offline
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Jump to: