It is currently Sat Oct 03, 2026 12:02 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: Need Sand Dome Cover for Porter Locomotive
PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2006 4:50 pm 
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jan 09, 2006 4:37 pm
Posts: 65
I need a cast iron sand dome cover to fit a 1904 0-4-0 Porter locomotive with a 19 inch diameter sand dome.
I'd prefer to get an original cover rather than having one recast.
Does anyone know where I might obtain an original cover?

Regards...


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Need Sand Dome Cover for Porter Locomotive
PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2006 8:40 pm 

Joined: Sun Aug 22, 2004 7:19 am
Posts: 6464
Location: southeastern USA
I do not know if any of the new old stock castings were salvaged in the demolition of Glover Machine Works, but if so, there were a few in about that size left in the old foundry. The patterns had unfortunately been left in a leaky old pole building full of termites, and were in pretty bad shape.

I don't know where any unused originals from Porter might be found.

You may try spinning a new one over a form to save the cost of making a pattern for a one-off.

dave

_________________
“God, the beautiful racket of it all: the sighing and hissing, the rattle and clack of the cars over the rails. These were the sounds that made America the greatest country on earth." Jonathan Evison


Offline
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Jump to: