Railway Preservation News
https://www.rypn.org/forums/

Lancaster & Chester no. 40
https://www.rypn.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=19963
Page 1 of 1

Author:  johnacraft [ Wed Feb 22, 2006 8:46 am ]
Post subject:  Lancaster & Chester no. 40

Linn Moedinger isn't the only railroader foolish enough to host us. Paul Harland and his wonderful staff at the New Hope & Ivyland agreed to put no. 40 in its as-delivered appearance for us, and somehow arranged a crystal-clear cold day for us last Sunday.

Image


Paul not only arranged a great train and great weather, he managed to find a unique flatcar load for us:

Image


We had a great time, and hopefully haven't worn out our welcome in Bucks County.

Image

Author:  scrmcurator [ Thu Feb 23, 2006 10:31 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Lancaster & Chester no. 40

johnacraft wrote:
Linn Moedinger isn't the only railroader foolish enough to host us. Paul Harland and his wonderful staff at the New Hope & Ivyland agreed to put no. 40 in its as-delivered appearance for us, and somehow arranged a crystal-clear cold day for us last Sunday.


Now if we could just get the 40 back to her home rails...

I don't suppose the NH&I would trade her for a derelict ACL L-class? Didn't think so...

Author:  johnacraft [ Thu Feb 23, 2006 11:09 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Lancaster & Chester no. 40

scrmcurator wrote:
Now if we could just get the 40 back to her home rails...



I believe Paul Harland told me that the L&C made an inquiry some time back for a temporary loan of no. 40, to celebrate the centenary of converting the line to standard gauge (2002). It didn't work out.

Image

Author:  JimBoylan [ Thu Feb 23, 2006 4:13 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Lancaster & Chester no. 40

scrmcurator wrote:
Now if we could just get the 40 back to her home rails...I don't suppose the NH&I would trade her for a derelict ACL L-class?
DISCLAIMER: JUST MY OWN OPINION, and it's expensive.
Trade it for a fixed-up CN 1533? It was described by "Railfan" mag as "the largest 0-0-0 of the season" during the winter of 1975-6.

Author:  K.R. Bell [ Thu Feb 23, 2006 8:49 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Lancaster & Chester no. 40

Actually Stephen Gedney, then President of the L&C approached the NH&I when I was working for them back in 1990-91, about bringing her down for a visit. It would have been too expensive to pull off, and the idea was dropped. I was a regular fireman on No. 40 in 1991-1993 and got to know her quite well; she is a tired old locomotive with plenty of personality! I do miss her ex-CNR five-chime whistle, borrowed from No. 1533, which we used on the engine in the early to mid 90's.

She first ran on the NH&I breifly in 1968, and not again until 1974. In December 1986, while in the employ of the New Hope Steam Railway, she made her last run. I was 14 at the time and remember it well--No. 40's rods banged terribly and engine was on life support. The engine remained out of service for the next five years and required extensive repairs. This work was completed by a very talented and dedicated crew of steam mechanics with an abiding love for the NH&I: Dave Hoffman, Mark Tomlinson, the late Ed Peters and a Strasburg RR crew under Linn Moedinger's direction in 1990-1991, when the current company's first management group took over. The horrible condition in which we found the engine at that time (prior to the mechanical work that was accomplished) could have filled an entire volume! Needless to say, when the crew was finished, the engine ran great and we cared for her like she was one of our own. Most of us were gone by mid-1993 and I fell out of touch with our beloved 2-8-0 after that. Those were *great* times!

I have copies of the original Baldwin correspondence from the L&C indicating that No. 40 had some serious mechanical problems shortly after delivery from Philadelphia in late 1925. The problems were so bad that Baldwin actually sent a mechanic to the L&C to fix her running gear which was way out of wack.

If she ever left the NH&I she undoubtedly would be right at home at Spencer Shops.

K.R. Bell

Author:  Mgoldman [ Fri Feb 24, 2006 2:40 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Lancaster & Chester no. 40

New Hope's #40 looks spectacular in L&C livery. She looks nice in NH&I too, especially since comming out of her very early touristy circus looking paint. In the L&C you really get a feel for the history of the engine - it's amazing looking at the pics how you get a sense of going back in time versus visiting a tourist (top notch non the less) operation.

I was on an earlier charter and was very impressed with the crew and operation. John, your charters look very well ran and planned - keeping my eye out for the next! How much extra did you pay to have the SUN show up?

Author:  johnacraft [ Fri Feb 24, 2006 9:58 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Lancaster & Chester no. 40

Mgoldman wrote:
John . . . How much extra did you pay to have the SUN show up?



None, Mitch.

I'd like to attribute it to good karma from a life lived according to the Golden Rule.


But it's probably just dumb luck.

JAC

Author:  scrmcurator [ Fri Feb 24, 2006 10:12 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Lancaster & Chester no. 40

K.R. Bell wrote:


If she ever left the NH&I she undoubtedly would be right at home at Spencer Shops.

K.R. Bell


Kurt, you really know how to piss off a South Carolina foamer! :o)

Seriously, Spencer is in the wrong state for the L&C, and while they have a beautiful facility they have no railroad to speak of. Come on, if she were to go anywhere she should come HOME to the L&C. And since the L&C has limited trackage rights on the Southern past Rockton to the siding at Simpson, a little visit to the R&R would be nice...

If you're going to send an engine to Spencer, it should be the "other" #40, Valley RR's ex-Aberdeen & Rockfish 2-8-2.

Author:  tomgears [ Fri Feb 24, 2006 10:22 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Lancaster & Chester no. 40

Matt,

Perhaps you should fix up that ACL steamer sitting along yoru tracks and send it to Spencer, have Spencer send slobberface to New Hope and have New Hope send 40 back to you. It could be the great locomotive swap!

Author:  junior [ Fri Feb 24, 2006 10:25 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Lancaster & Chester no. 40

K.R. Bell wrote:
In December 1986, while in the employ of the New Hope Steam Railway, she made her last run. I was 14 at the time and remember it well--No. 40's rods banged terribly and engine was on life support.K.R. Bell


Kurt, was this one of the the runs that had 40 pretty much supplying just heat with the then #739 (9423) pulling the actual train? I remember my Mom and Dad working on the train (I forget which one was conductor that day, prolly Dad), and I believe Art Adams and Ed Cevasco were up there in the 40 trying to keep the engine afloat for the days trips while Bill Coffey was running the 739. I seem to recall, they eventually put 40 on the N end of the train to ease boarding at the station for the remaining trips.

I miss the days of selling tickets out of the RPO and the OLD freight house office and playing around in the freight rooms full of anything and everything RR related junk and of course hanging in the cab of #9 on the Union Camp siding on a summers afternoon. (now THOSE were the days!)

Just a couple memeories of a Kid having fun on "his" railroad.

Regards,

A fellow volunteer from W&W

Author:  K.R. Bell [ Sat Feb 25, 2006 2:58 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Lancaster & Chester no. 40

Let's not forgot that 40 last ran on the Cliffside RR in NC so she would be very relevant to Spencer ;-)

Page 1 of 1 All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group
http://www.phpbb.com/