It is currently Thu Oct 01, 2026 2:03 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: B&O/WM Cabooses for sale
PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 7:17 pm 

Joined: Sun Aug 22, 2004 1:51 pm
Posts: 12169
Location: Somewhere east of Prescott, AZ along the old Santa Fe "Prescott & Eastern"
I just received word (via a phone call) that the owner of the "landmark" five ex-Chessie cabooses on a siding along the ex-B&O main in Lansdowne, Md. (between the Baltimore city line and the Baltimore Beltway, southwest end of town) wants to put three of them on the market.

I am awaiting a call-back on trucks, bearings, brakes, etc., but the bodies are quite sound, as far as I know. These cars include both B&O and WM, cupola and bay-window; I don't know if particular cars are for sale or just whichever three are wanted will sell.

If you are actively in "need" of either a B&O or WM caboose and have the wherewithal to remove them from a cut siding and ship them to a new home, contact me off-group and I'll pass on relevant info as it arrives/is confirmed.


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: B&O/WM Cabooses for sale
PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 9:06 pm 

Joined: Thu Nov 25, 2004 11:35 am
Posts: 332
Location: Cortez, CO 81321
Alexander D. Mitchell IV wrote, "... the owner of five ex-Chessie cabooses along the ex-B&O main in Lansdowne, MD, wants to put three of them on the market."



Hi,

The B&O cabooses are steel, bay window cars: C2449 - wagon top; C2874; C2946; & C2956.

WM 1830, steel, cupola.

Roger

_________________
S. Roger Kirkpatrick, Cortez, CO - Gateway to Mesa Verde National Park


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: B&O/WM Cabooses for sale
PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2006 1:53 pm 

Joined: Fri Feb 24, 2006 1:51 pm
Posts: 2
Location: Leesburg, VA
How would we get in contact with the seller if interested? Any idea on cost, or other details?


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: B&O/WM Cabooses for sale
PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2006 2:37 pm 

Joined: Sun Aug 22, 2004 1:51 pm
Posts: 12169
Location: Somewhere east of Prescott, AZ along the old Santa Fe "Prescott & Eastern"
You contact me via e-mail or personal message, and I'll pass you the owner's phone number. Sorry, I just don't feel right posting the owner's phone number openly. My e-mail is LNER4472 --at-- bcpl dot net .

In other news, I went down and inspected the cars myself--all have friction-bearing trucks and are well-maintained in excellent condition. Three are rather older/short bay window designs, one is a B&O "wagon-top" steel bay-window, and one is ex-WM cupola. I do NOT know which ones are specifically for sale.


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: B&O/WM Cabooses for sale
PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2006 6:56 pm 

Joined: Tue Aug 02, 2005 1:25 pm
Posts: 6486
For the record, the other three B&O steel bay window cabooses mentioned by Roger are B&O class I-17a. These were the last cabooses built new by the B&O in their own shops (per info in Dwight Jones books). There were 84 cabooses in this class built between 1953 and 1965.

Les


Offline
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Jump to: