Railway Preservation News
https://www.rypn.org/forums/

ex-EL Comet I Passenger Cars Donated to Museum
https://www.rypn.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=20001
Page 1 of 1

Author:  NH0401 [ Mon Feb 27, 2006 9:38 pm ]
Post subject:  ex-EL Comet I Passenger Cars Donated to Museum

It appears that ex EL Comet I commuter coaches 1729, 1733 and 1740 have been donated to the Whippany RR Museum (Whippany, NJ) by NJ Transit.

Seems that the Morristown & Erie picked up a half dozen of the cars, too.

For those who don't know, these cars were the first modern, air conditioned HEP-equipped cars to be purchased for NJ commuter service.

BTW, there is one 'matching' GE U34CH locomotive in the 'state museum' collection, so the possibility of assembling an authentic train exists.

Dave

Author:  Howard P. [ Mon Feb 27, 2006 10:54 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: ex-EL Comet I Passenger Cars Donated to Museum

Yup, file this one under "another way to make me feel old"....I remember hearing that the first two units and few cars had been delivered to Hoboken and Croxton in November 1970; went looking for them and found the locos had not even been started yet. Boy, those new cars gleamed, compared to all the dark green MUs and Stillwells and Boontons at Hoboken 35 years ago!!!

Author:  NH0401 [ Tue Feb 28, 2006 8:40 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: ex-EL Comet I Passenger Cars Donated to Museum

Yes- it feels strange to realize one has been around long enough not only to have witnessed and documented the 'unwrapping' of such things as LIRR GP-38-2's, MP-15's, D&H PA-4'sand AMTK F40PH's-but to have also witnessed the obsolescence and ultimate replacement of this equipment.

DPK

Page 1 of 1 All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group
http://www.phpbb.com/