| Railway Preservation News https://www.rypn.org/forums/ |
|
| Electric steam locomotive https://www.rypn.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=20108 |
Page 1 of 1 |
| Author: | bobyar2001 [ Fri Mar 10, 2006 1:19 am ] |
| Post subject: | Electric steam locomotive |
I'd heard of these, but never saw a photo. I think they were in Switzerland during WWII: http://abpr.railfan.net/abprphoto.cgi?a ... 3_8522.jpg |
|
| Author: | Danska [ Fri Mar 10, 2006 2:58 am ] |
| Post subject: | Re: Electric steam locomotive |
It seems that many many years ago, I read that steam locomotives that operated in electrified territory had pantographs to activate the signal system. At one time the Pacific Electric had trolly poles on some of their steam engines for the same purpose. Danska |
|
| Author: | ray dewley [ Fri Mar 10, 2006 8:09 am ] |
| Post subject: | Re: Electric steam locomotive |
The story I heard long ago was that with a lot of hydro electric power avavilable during WWII when coal was scarce. Locomotives' fireboxes were filled with resistor grids to make steam. See link below. How would the overhead work the block signals? I used to run trolleys for a good number of years which had block signals coming out of your ears, I don't see how that would work. electric chooches: http://www.dself.dsl.pipex.com/MUSEUM/L ... isselc.htm other variations: http://www.dself.dsl.pipex.com/MUSEUM/L ... coloco.htm Ray |
|
| Author: | JimBoylan [ Fri Mar 10, 2006 8:06 pm ] |
| Post subject: | Re: Electric steam locomotive |
ray dewley wrote: How would the overhead work the block signals? Contactors on the overhead wire, the pole wheel or shoe completed the electrical circuit. Pacific Electric and Salt Lake, Garfield & Western had poles on some Diesels. The Lackawanna & Wyoming Valley Diesel had a pole, but I think the contactors were mechanical, like in Detroit recently. In many of these cases, it was crossing signals, not block signals.
|
|
| Author: | STAN J [ Mon Mar 13, 2006 12:45 am ] |
| Post subject: | Re: Electric steam locomotive |
The Salt Lake, Garfield & Western didn't have trolley poles on any of its diesels, but the Bamberger Railroad did. Yes, it was to operate signals. |
|
| Author: | softwerkslex [ Mon Mar 13, 2006 12:59 am ] |
| Post subject: | Re: Electric steam locomotive |
Odd but true. Imagine the wartime shortages. No copper wire, etc. for new electric locomotives. Also, I imagine these engines had to cover some non-electrified trackage (industrial, etc.) for which they operated in "fireless-thermos" mode. |
|
| Page 1 of 1 | All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ] |
| Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group http://www.phpbb.com/ |
|