| Railway Preservation News https://www.rypn.org/forums/ |
|
| NRHS Convention https://www.rypn.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=20178 |
Page 1 of 2 |
| Author: | co614 [ Sun Mar 19, 2006 5:41 pm ] |
| Post subject: | NRHS Convention |
Can anyone tell me how to get a comprehensive listing of the trips(with motive power) that are firmly part of this years convention? I tried my darndest using the NRHS web-site and could only find the most general kind of info-nothing definitive. It appears clear that there will not be any "visiting" steam and that the O/C will only be fielding the 2-8-0 and the Pacific as the 4-8-4 needs some rather extensive work which won't get started until after the convention. But I can't figure out which trips will be steam (or at least partly steam) and which will be strictly dismal powered. I've e-mailed the NRHS so perhaps that will produce an answer. Brother Mitchell made reference to the high prices on the trips(on another thread)-but I couldn't find any mention of fares. Any help will be appreciated. Thanks, Ross Rowland |
|
| Author: | Alexander D. Mitchell IV [ Sun Mar 19, 2006 7:15 pm ] |
| Post subject: | Re: NRHS Convention |
As I understand it, the only ones who should have that information in their hands at the moment are those who pre-registered for the Convention. They were discussing the details at my Chapter's latest meeting, with a couple members expressing open and pointed disappointment at ticket prices that were said to be around 50% higher than similar/identical trips run by the Ohio Central in the very recent past. If typical NRHS practice repeats itself, they'll announce details more publicly after fulfillment of ticket orders from pre-registered members. I don't know if the NRHS plans to release any ticket sales to the public at the Convention, but it's been my observation that at least some tickets seem to sell at con, whether officially for sale or "scalped". [Insert gratuitous commentary about one-year-behind NRHS publication schedules and renewal notice mailings here] |
|
| Author: | softwerkslex [ Sun Mar 19, 2006 8:08 pm ] |
| Post subject: | Re: NRHS Convention |
So, the marketing strategy is to keep everything a secret until the tickets are all sold, and then announce the events? |
|
| Author: | Fitz [ Sun Mar 19, 2006 9:02 pm ] |
| Post subject: | Re: NRHS Convention |
As a peon volunteer at the last convention in Portland, I know the frustrastion that potential attendees had at the lack of information available months in advance. The true story is that (we) didn't know if (we) could run the events we WANTED to run, due to insurance costs, uncertainty of Amtrak sponsorship for the steam doubleheader, lack of crews, Amtrak certification of locomotives and rolling stock to run on their rails. I use the term (we) loosely, as I was not one of (we) who made the big decisions. Having said that, the Ohio Central has a different situation, but again, they may not know if certain locomotives will be ready to run at the time of the convention. Just be patient, and wait for the official word. I have my advance notice package and there is no more definitive info in it. Give the organizers a chance to get it all together. |
|
| Author: | ctjacks [ Sun Mar 19, 2006 9:53 pm ] |
| Post subject: | Re: NRHS Convention |
The pre-registration packages mailed out to people who pre-registered do (for the most part) spell out the motive power to be used on the trips. Ross, did you pre-register for the convention? If so, you should have received the package. I agree that the ticket prices for these trips are in general quite high, and much more expensive than similar trips that have run over the years. re: a post above, I don't think the convention this year will be in the same situation as last year, where they didn't have a confirmed steam trip until a few weeks before the convention. That really hurt last years' attendance, especially from the midwest. Expensive or not, this will likely be the second-to-last ever NRHS convention, so I will come out and enjoy it. Chris. |
|
| Author: | co614 [ Sun Mar 19, 2006 10:22 pm ] |
| Post subject: | Re: NRHS Convention |
No, I didn't pre-register as I thought I'd make up my mind as to whether or not to attend based largely upon what was offerred in excursions. I dropped my membership years ago as I found I wasn't deriving any benefits that I could discern. Seems sorta arse backwards to me the way they go about organizing(?) this event, and I would guess if the only steam trips offerred are behind the 33&1293 over O/C trackage thats been amply covered in the immediate past by these same engines they'll have tons of tickets looking for a buyer??? I'm sure many attend these conventions as an annual right or a mandatory " boys night out" kinda thing or just for the socialization, but to me it was the steam trips that made it worth it or not! Just for the heck of it, what are the excursion ticket prices?. Thanks, Ross Rowland |
|
| Author: | Dave Lewandoski [ Sun Mar 19, 2006 11:00 pm ] |
| Post subject: | Re: NRHS Convention |
I too would like to have an idea on the ticket prices. Aside from seeinf the 33 run, it sounds like there will be ALOT less to see than what was at Train Fest. Dave |
|
| Author: | tomgears [ Sun Mar 19, 2006 11:26 pm ] |
| Post subject: | Re: NRHS Convention |
I am sure they will do a fine job. It is sad no visiting locmotives are on the slate right now. |
|
| Author: | co614 [ Mon Mar 20, 2006 9:30 am ] |
| Post subject: | Re: NRHS Convention |
In addition to being curious about this years excursion ticket prices, can anyone fill us in on the attendance trend of these conventions. When I last payed any attention to this, if I remember correctly they used to attract 1,000-1,500 attendees? Is that still the case or has the level dropped off? From what little I know it would appear to me that this years offerrings are rather slim in a not too easy to get to location?? Maybe I'm seeing it wrong? Anyway, it would be interesting to learn what the trend in attendance has been. Thanks, Ross Rowland |
|
| Author: | steamtown observer [ Mon Mar 20, 2006 10:17 am ] |
| Post subject: | Re: NRHS Convention |
Quote: Expensive or not, this will likely be the second-to-last ever NRHS convention, so I will come out and enjoy it.
As Ross notes, many of us have drifted away from the NRHS in the last 15 years. Perhaps this was inevitable as back in the 80's it seemed the NRHS was dependant on the Southern/NS Steam program for its conventions. A lot of Chapters are still listed on their website that I know for a fact are no longer around. But this is the first time I have seen a claim that 2007 may be the last national convention. Has this been discussed within the NRHS or are you saying no one is willing to do 2008 thus killing it? |
|
| Author: | O-6-O [ Mon Mar 20, 2006 10:22 am ] |
| Post subject: | Re: NRHS Convention |
Isn't the 765 all dressed up and no place to go. It was slated to be run on the OC 2 years ago but they didn't want to rush her ( smart ) but she should be ready now. Also how much work could the 6325 need coming off the heals of a first class overhaul and the OC running limited steam in 05'? I smell an insurance rat here. I was looking foreward to this convention. |
|
| Author: | co614 [ Mon Mar 20, 2006 10:36 am ] |
| Post subject: | Re: NRHS Convention |
I believe I'm correct in stating that Rich Melvin(765) has publically stated here and elsewhere that the deadheading costs of getting 765 to/from the O/C for the convention ( I saw a figure of $100k) are prohibitively expensive? As to the 6325,she's had a chronic main bearing(s) overheating problem since she was returned to service which has gotten progressively worse and now needs to be addressed. It's not a small job, and its my understanding that the steam crew will concentrate on making sure the 33&1293 are in tip-top shape for the convention and then worry about the Northern. That's my understanding, but I could well have it wrong. Perhaps someone from the O/C would be willing to comment? It's always better to get the facts straight from the horses mouth vs. second/third hand. Ross Rowland |
|
| Author: | co614 [ Mon Mar 20, 2006 1:28 pm ] |
| Post subject: | Re: NRHS Convention |
For those interested in the excursions being offerred and the prices there's a fairly detailed response on the Trainorders.com board under the Steam thread. Ross Rowland |
|
| Author: | tomgears [ Mon Mar 20, 2006 3:20 pm ] |
| Post subject: | Re: NRHS Convention |
In my opinion the NRHS needs a drastic make-over. They just mailed out the 2004 Annual, it is Spring 2006! More young people need to be brought into the organization and become involved. Chapters need to do stuff, a monthly slide show and annual dinner is not going to interest many people. As the guys who go to the slide shows die off the chapters get smaller and smaller. |
|
| Author: | Heavenrich [ Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:10 pm ] |
| Post subject: | Re: NRHS Convention |
"Expensive or not, this will likely be the second-to-last ever NRHS convention, so I will come out and enjoy it." What's your source of information on this? NRHS conventions are normally announced about two years in advance, so it that isn't unusual for the site of the 2008 convention not to be announced just yet. I expect an announcement about the date and location of the 2007 convention to be made in about a month. Also, as to attendence this time around: motel space in the New Philadelphia area is limited as is the capacity of the trains. Bob H |
|
| Page 1 of 2 | All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ] |
| Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group http://www.phpbb.com/ |
|