It is currently Sat Oct 03, 2026 6:17 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: Signal Line Usage
PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2006 3:38 pm 

Joined: Fri Aug 27, 2004 7:57 am
Posts: 2599
Location: Faulkland, Delaware
The earlier post by Warren about train and engine crews dressing the part brough to mind something that I have thought about from time to time. How many trouist railroads out there are still using signal lines? I think many places have gone to radio and are missing the boat in loosing part of the feel of recreating history. I know everyone throws up safety as a reason but I don't buy that as a signal line and dump valve can provide the same level of safety for a train plugging along at 10 miles per hour.

_________________
Tom Gears
Wilmington, DE

Maybe it won't work out. But maybe seeing if it does will be the best adventure ever.


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Signal Line Usage, Strasburg RR
PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2006 7:04 pm 

Joined: Thu Apr 14, 2005 9:34 pm
Posts: 2837
Location: Copenhagen, Denmark
I was a crew member at Strasburg back in the signal line days. I always thought it was an interesting technology and fun. It also was useful, especially as an instant warning of broken couplings, which occassionally happened at the Paradise curve with specific combinations of locomotive and coach. We used both radios and signal line (maybe that was part of a transition period).

On a recent return visit, I asked one of my old bosses why the signal equipment had been removed, and he put it plainly that it was a lot of work to maintain for "a couple of bweep bweeps". Imagine a complete duplicate of the brake system that needs the same inspection and rubber replacement schedule.

I imagine they put all that gear in deep storage, right Kelly? If somebody really cared, somebody could put together a signal equipped train, but it would be really hard to find any visitors who would notice, since the only people who see/hear the signal in action are the engine crew and the conductor on the platform pulling the cord.

_________________
Steven Harrod
Lektor
Danmarks Tekniske Universitet


Offline
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Jump to: