| Railway Preservation News https://www.rypn.org/forums/ |
|
| Scrapped GG-1 https://www.rypn.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=20217 |
Page 1 of 1 |
| Author: | Frank Hicks [ Wed Mar 22, 2006 11:13 pm ] |
| Post subject: | Scrapped GG-1 |
A few photos were recently posted on the NERail.org site of GG-1 #4873, the only GG-1 to be scrapped post-preservation. The photos were taken at Whippany in late 1991; my records suggest the locomotive was scrapped the next year, in 1992. Does anyone have any insight as to why it was scrapped? I'm not trying to start a debate, I was just curious. http://naphotos.nerail.org/showpic/?photo=2006032113495320055.jpg http://naphotos.nerail.org/showpic/?photo=2006032113493819843.jpg http://naphotos.nerail.org/showpic/?photo=2006032113491519242.jpg |
|
| Author: | Ted Miles [ Thu Mar 23, 2006 12:24 am ] |
| Post subject: | Re: Scrapped GG-1 |
Frank, This brings to mind another one that was in Upstate New York. If I recall, it was sold to a private individual by an NRHS chapter. From what I recall of the web site the owner had to drive a long distance to do any work on the locomotive? And is there still one on display in the Harrisburg Station? I think another NRHS chapter awned that one also. Ted Miles |
|
| Author: | Dave LeCount [ Thu Mar 23, 2006 12:31 am ] |
| Post subject: | Re: Scrapped GG-1 |
Isn't that the one that was the sold by the individual to the Henry Ford Museum a few years back? If not, what ever happened to the Henry Ford unit? I think it was about 2 years ago an article was published about it and nothing's been mentioned since. |
|
| Author: | Alexander D. Mitchell IV [ Thu Mar 23, 2006 12:45 am ] |
| Post subject: | Harrisburg's G |
4859 was acquired by the Harrisburg NRHS by buying an Amtrak GG1 for $5,000 (yes, the going price for a G to a qualified nonprofit) and trading it and a bunch of cash to Naporano Iron and Metal for the "object of their affection", one of the few "freight" GG1's saved and the first G into Harrisburg. I seem to recall that somehow custody of the 4859 either ended up or will end up with the Penna. Historic & Museum Commission, probably in some bureaucratic move involving insurance, etc. I understand Amtrak has basically handed the 4859 an eviction notice; the problem is where it goes from there? RR Museum of Pa. needs another GG1 like Britain needs another Stanier Black Five or trackside foamers need another B40-8. |
|
| Author: | Joshua K. Blay [ Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:18 am ] |
| Post subject: | Re: Harrisburg's G |
I would hazard a guess that the British would appreciate another Black 5 then we would B40-8 or a GG-1, but I understand the point you are trying to make. Joshua |
|
| Page 1 of 1 | All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ] |
| Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group http://www.phpbb.com/ |
|