It is currently Sat Oct 03, 2026 7:02 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: Steamtown Budget
PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2006 11:16 pm 

Joined: Thu Apr 14, 2005 9:34 pm
Posts: 2837
Location: Copenhagen, Denmark
Well, I decided to dig into the Park Service budget for 2007 at

http://www.nps.gov/applications/budget2/fy07gbk.htm

Download the document whole and search it using Adobe Acrobat. Check out page 158. It says "Deferred maintenance for buildings only, based on condition assessments of park facilities performed in 2004, totals $8.549 billion dollars."

Billion dollars? Anyone care to explain that?

On page 201 is an interesting table. Compare Steamtown to the Statue of Liberty. Note the ratio of budget and visitors!

_________________
Steven Harrod
Lektor
Danmarks Tekniske Universitet


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Steamtown Budget
PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2006 11:51 pm 

Joined: Sun Aug 22, 2004 5:19 pm
Posts: 2701
Location: Sackets Harbor, NY
Were you able to dig out the line item budget for S'town?? If so could you please post a summary of the major items. The print is so small I can't read it. Thanks, Ross Rowland


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Steamtown Budget
PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2006 5:29 pm 

Joined: Thu Apr 14, 2005 9:34 pm
Posts: 2837
Location: Copenhagen, Denmark
No, I am too busy, but I posted what I found as a starting point for anyone interested in digging further. The information is there if you are persistent.

_________________
Steven Harrod
Lektor
Danmarks Tekniske Universitet


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Steamtown Budget
PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2006 6:13 pm 

Joined: Mon Aug 23, 2004 9:18 am
Posts: 728
Location: Wall, NJ
I deal with the DoD budget so I'll take a gander at it. Its got to be a spit in the bucket compared to what I'm used to. A billion here and a billion there....pretty soon you are talking real money.
J.R.


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Steamtown Budget
PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2006 6:49 pm 

Joined: Mon Aug 23, 2004 9:18 am
Posts: 728
Location: Wall, NJ
Ok, as far as I can tell the National Park Service (NPS) budget is roughly $2.249 Billion for fiscal year 2006 (FY06) which runs October 1 through September 31st.

The Steamtown NHS budget for FY06 is $5.174 Million and it looks like the visitor use is about 106,000 visitors in 2004.

By comparison, and on the same page, the Shenadoah National Park FY06 budget appears to be $10.615 Million. It had 1,290,812 visitors in 2004.

A couple of words of caution here with regard to these numbers. These were the requested budgets. What we need is the final numbers after this went through the rather ugly budget process of House and Senate committees, Congressional add ons (Plus Ups to me, Pork to those not in the business), and other adjustments.
J.R.


Offline
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Jump to: