Railway Preservation News
https://www.rypn.org/forums/

ACL 501
https://www.rypn.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=20228
Page 1 of 1

Author:  bobyar2001 [ Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:59 am ]
Post subject:  ACL 501

Here in 1965, downgraded a bit from its purple days at the head of the streamlined Champion. It looks better today at Spencer. Do enough FEC cars exist to recreate the as-built Champion, which I think was about five cars long?

http://abpr.railfan.net/abprphoto.cgi?a ... 8-7-65.jpg

Author:  Stephen S. Syfrett [ Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:26 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: ACL 501

Uh, excuse me Bob, but there were actually three Champion consists in the original rendition: 2 ACL Champion consists and only one FEC-contributed consist ;>)

Actually, the SAM Shortline has the former FEC Bay Biscayne, which was the end car on the first southbound Champion run from NY City in December 1939. I don't believe either of the ACL tavern lounge obs cars (250 and 251) survived. In fact, one of them was destroyed in a wreck, but I don't recall which one or what year.

Although I don't have any hard proof of it yet, supposedly Thronateeska Heritage Center's ACL RPO No. 13, originally ACL 700, was used in Champion service after rebuilt to its current configuration and renumbered in 1953.

So, this is a start of a Champion consist, the head end anf the rear end...all we've got to do is find the middle!

Author:  bobyar2001 [ Fri Mar 24, 2006 9:18 am ]
Post subject:  Re: ACL 501

Sorry, I meant ACL. Not sure why I said FEC. Good information though.

Page 1 of 1 All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group
http://www.phpbb.com/