It is currently Mon Sep 28, 2026 12:16 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: Lost Locomotive Help?
PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2006 7:47 am 
User avatar

Joined: Sun Oct 10, 2004 11:30 am
Posts: 1263
Location: Eagan, MN
Henschel 0-4-0T C/N 25212 was built for Hibernia AG at Herne, Germany in 1943, and purchased by Charles Davies of Marquette, IA in 1967.

Over the last nine years I've been in Marquette twice, regrettably on a Saturday each time, and have been unable to discover anything about Mr. Davies, or about his locomotive or its current whereabouts.

Does anyone have any information about this locomotive?

Regards,
Doug

_________________
Doug Bailey, Webmaster http://www.steamlocomotive.info


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Lost Locomotive Help?
PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2006 6:42 pm 

Joined: Mon Aug 23, 2004 7:26 pm
Posts: 332
Location: Hammond, WI
I am in Marquette every couple months, and I have never seen it there. However, I have been told that supposedly there are two German steam locos in a garage or shed somewhere in Marquette or McGregor (McGregor is right next to Marquette, and also happens to be where my Mother and Step-Father live). I have yet to confirm their existance though. Supposedly an eastern Iowa news station did a story on them a few years back.

_________________
Boyd


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Lost Locomotive Help?
PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2006 8:18 pm 
User avatar

Joined: Sun Oct 10, 2004 11:30 am
Posts: 1263
Location: Eagan, MN
Boyd Owens wrote:
I am in Marquette every couple months, and I have never seen it there. However, I have been told that supposedly there are two German steam locos in a garage or shed somewhere in Marquette or McGregor (McGregor is right next to Marquette, and also happens to be where my Mother and Step-Father live). I have yet to confirm their existance though. Supposedly an eastern Iowa news station did a story on them a few years back.


That kinda fit what I was told in a cafe in Marquette in 1999. They said that a guy who used to live out "in the country" had one in his barn.

_________________
Doug Bailey, Webmaster http://www.steamlocomotive.info


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Lost Locomotive Help?
PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 8:36 am 
User avatar

Joined: Sun Oct 10, 2004 11:30 am
Posts: 1263
Location: Eagan, MN
In view of another lost locomotive thread, I thought I'd resurrect this one. Anybody know anything else about this locomotive, or its disposition?

_________________
Doug Bailey, Webmaster http://www.steamlocomotive.info


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Lost Locomotive Help?
PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 3:35 pm 

Joined: Fri Dec 03, 2004 9:42 pm
Posts: 3013
You have enough info to find a very likely phone number and address in McGregor with about 30 seconds of internet reseach. I won't post it here, for the sake of privacy, but there is a result that fits the info given, and the address shown is near a farm with a barn (then again, so is most of Iowa...)

Maybe a call to the gentleman in question would yield some results. Then again, you may hear "None of your damn bizness!" but it would be worth a try.


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Lost Locomotive Help?
PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 4:00 pm 
User avatar

Joined: Sun Oct 10, 2004 11:30 am
Posts: 1263
Location: Eagan, MN
Bobharbison wrote:
You have enough info to find a very likely phone number and address in McGregor with about 30 seconds of internet reseach. I won't post it here, for the sake of privacy, but there is a result that fits the info given, and the address shown is near a farm with a barn (then again, so is most of Iowa...)

Maybe a call to the gentleman in question would yield some results. Then again, you may hear "None of your damn bizness!" but it would be worth a try.


Been there, done that, got the scars.

_________________
Doug Bailey, Webmaster http://www.steamlocomotive.info


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Lost Locomotive Help?
PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 6:07 pm 

Joined: Mon Aug 23, 2004 7:26 pm
Posts: 332
Location: Hammond, WI
I was finally able to track down Mr. Davies, and spoke with him today. He said he actually owned the locomotive for only about a year, and then sold it to a man from Michigan. He does not remember the man's name.
Unfortunately, we still have a lot of questions unanswered... Where is it now? Does the unknown man from Michigan still own it? And finally, are there still 2 other locomotives in a barn somewhere near Marquette, Iowa...
Maybe someone else can help with the Michigan lead? I'll still keep working on finding about Marquette...

_________________
Boyd


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Lost Locomotive Help?
PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 9:56 pm 

Joined: Fri Jul 20, 2007 7:31 pm
Posts: 138
Location: Elizabethtown,PA
Suggest you pose your inquiry on Smokstak / Stationary Steam and Traction forum. These little guys are likely to be relatively well known in the smaller sized steam community. http://www.smokstak.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=7


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Lost Locomotive Help?
PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 9:22 pm 

Joined: Wed Jul 28, 2010 2:05 am
Posts: 115
Location: Australia
I recently saw an episode of American Pickers in which the guys stumbled upon an interesting character who had 2 of these ex German narrow gauge steamers in his collection. I wasn't really paying attention till the locos appeared so I did not get any location details but I am sure the episode will appear on TV again soon.

Wes

_________________
It may seem like a lost cause today, but at least it's not gone forever!


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Lost Locomotive Help?
PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 1:22 pm 
User avatar

Joined: Sun Oct 10, 2004 11:30 am
Posts: 1263
Location: Eagan, MN
u25b wrote:
I recently saw an episode of American Pickers in which the guys stumbled upon an interesting character who had 2 of these ex German narrow gauge steamers in his collection. I wasn't really paying attention till the locos appeared so I did not get any location details but I am sure the episode will appear on TV again soon.

Wes


They're both stored in Palmersville, TN
http://steamlocomotive.info/vlocomotive.cfm?Display=1411
http://steamlocomotive.info/vlocomotive.cfm?Display=1412

_________________
Doug Bailey, Webmaster http://www.steamlocomotive.info


Offline
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Jump to: