Railway Preservation News
https://www.rypn.org/forums/

CB&Q 4978
https://www.rypn.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=21662
Page 1 of 1

Author:  bobyar2001 [ Sat Nov 11, 2006 1:06 pm ]
Post subject:  CB&Q 4978

Switching at Denver on the C&S in October 1958. The C&S had a couple of head-on collisions in September that put about five of their diesels out of commission until they could be totally rebuilt by EMD. Thus, they leased five O1A 2-8-2s from the parent Burlington, that ran into early 1959. Of the five, two survived, including the 4978 now at Mendota, Illinois, and the 4994, disguised as a Fort Worth & Denver engine at Lubbock, Texas.

http://abpr.railfan.net/abprphoto.cgi?m ... anColl.jpg

They would later get the silvered smokebox and firebox, typical of the 7th Street roundhouse in Denver after 1957.

One of the wrecks that caused the engines to be leased, at Broomfield, September 1958:

http://photoswest.org/cgi-bin/imager?00007223+OP-7223

Author:  bobyar2001 [ Thu Nov 30, 2006 5:57 pm ]
Post subject:  Older view

Don't know where or when, but an older view of the 4978, with the old CB&Q style headlight. Presumably somewhere in Illinois, where the engine was mostly used.

http://abpr.railfan.net/abprphoto.cgi?j ... Xq4978.jpg

Author:  Les Beckman [ Thu Nov 30, 2006 6:12 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Older view

Gee, I don't know Bob...almost looks like mountains in the distance. That sure ain't native to the Prairie State!

I like the photo though. In addition to the older style "Q" headlight, the tender also has one of those "coal pusher" mechanisms (I don't know the actual name of it.) I think the rear end went up, thus tilting the floor and sliding the coal toward the front making it easier for the fireman to get to it. Brings up an interesting question; did any of these "pusher" tender mechanisms survive on any locomotive? I wouldn't think so but......

Les

Author:  Don C. [ Thu Nov 30, 2006 8:51 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Older view

Hey Les,
The Chinese QJs that Mr. Posner imported have coal pushers on them but of a different style.

I was down visiting the 4978 last Saturday in Mendota. The museum is doing a good job of maintaining the old girl. She'd be sweet to see under steam on the old "Q" Streator branch.....

Don C.

Author:  Les Beckman [ Thu Nov 30, 2006 10:06 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Older view

Don -

Boy, wouldn't she though? Unfortunately, I hear that her boiler is not in the greatest shape. Plus not sure the folks in Mendota would let her go to be restored. But sure something to hope for.

Les

Author:  bobyar2001 [ Thu Nov 30, 2006 10:14 pm ]
Post subject:  Added link

To the first posting, showing one of the September 1958 wrecks that put diesels out of comission and caused the 01as to be brought to Colorado. Crewmen were killed and the E7 on the "Nightcrawler" passenger train was scrapped.

Author:  bobyar2001 [ Fri Dec 01, 2006 11:35 am ]
Post subject:  Older photo of 4978

Still don't know the location of the older photo, but my Corbin & Kerka CB&Q steam book shows all four extant 01as (4960, 4963, 4978, 4994) assigned to the Chicago division in 1935, which is probably around the time the older photo was taken. By 1952, the 4960 was assigned to the Brookfield Division (part of the Hannibal Division), the 4963 to the Beardstown Division, and the 4978 and 4994 to the Hannibal Division proper. Most all the 01as assigned to the western lines were in the 5000 and 5100 number series. In 1952, the 4976 and 4995 were assigned to the Lincoln Division, and these had the long smokeboxes of the lignite & bituminous front ends. Some of the other 01as in the west were converted to oilburning, and some retained their extended smokeboxes after conversion.

The book is well worth acquiring, mine is falling apart from use and age:

http://search.abaa.org/dbp2/book1771_3466.html
http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/ ... 29-4836753

Here's the 5117, headed east out of Derby, Colorado (now Commerce City) in 1946, with the extended front end:

http://photoswest.org/cgi-bin/imager?00004393+OP-4393

Author:  Don C. [ Fri Dec 01, 2006 1:05 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Older photo of 4978

I love that shot of 5117. Notice that she still had her road pilot and the sides of the coal bunker had not been slanted inward, which had been done to facilitate their use in switching service. She kind of looks like Jay Leno with that "jaw" jutting out in front of her.

"Steam Locomotives of the Burlington Route" was one of the first railroad books I ever bought. In 1961 or 1962, $15.00 seemed like a million to a 10 or 11 year old kid. I couldn't believe that a book could cost so much at the time! I am lucky enough to own a first and second addition of the book and they are a valuable addition to my library. I know, I'm sick, I love the look of my dear departed Burlington engines!

Thanks for posting the shot, Bob.

Don C.

Author:  bobyar2001 [ Sun Dec 03, 2006 5:10 pm ]
Post subject:  4978 - another older view

From the other side, probably taken the same day as the other one, but no location or date given:

http://www.castlegraphics.com/photo/alb ... _2-8-2.jpg

Page 1 of 1 All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group
http://www.phpbb.com/