| Railway Preservation News https://www.rypn.org/forums/ |
|
| NP 1354 https://www.rypn.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=21772 |
Page 1 of 1 |
| Author: | bobyar2001 [ Wed Nov 29, 2006 12:46 am ] |
| Post subject: | NP 1354 |
Again, no date or place: http://www.brasslocomotive.com/images/t ... R-1354.jpg |
|
| Author: | Les Beckman [ Wed Nov 29, 2006 9:57 am ] |
| Post subject: | Re: NP 1354 |
Wasn't some railroad museum trying to restore one of these surviving S-4 class NP Ten-Wheelers? Sure is a nice looking locomotive! Les |
|
| Author: | jd johnson [ Wed Nov 29, 2006 12:49 pm ] |
| Post subject: | Re: NP 1354 |
Les, Go to the flimies. There is an article on this subject. The engine is 1364 in Toppenish WA. Say Hi to Fred for me. JD Johnson, Morehead and North Fork Railroad Historian |
|
| Author: | Les Beckman [ Wed Nov 29, 2006 4:14 pm ] |
| Post subject: | Re: NP 1354 |
JD - Thanks for the heads up! And it also seems as if the museum there in Toppenish has also picked up Northern Pacific 4-6-2 #2152! From what I got out of the story in Flimsies however, it seems as if the museum has only a limited space to run either engine in the future. BTW, I will say hello to Fred for you. He and I spent part of last Saturday up on the roof of our NKP wood tool car working on stabilizing it. Les |
|
| Author: | John Risley [ Wed Nov 29, 2006 4:41 pm ] |
| Post subject: | Re: NP 1354 questions |
I too have always liked the S-4's. They obviously filled the nitch like the C&NW's R-1 4-6-0s did. I have never seen an NP S-4 in person, are they similar in weight and traction as the C&NW R-1s? The C&NW R-1 #175 up near Hancock, Mi has a tender that looks like it might of come off a NP S4, never asked Clint where the tender came from or off of. Cheers, John. |
|
| Author: | Les Beckman [ Wed Nov 29, 2006 5:06 pm ] |
| Post subject: | Re: NP 1354 questions |
John - Here's the comparison: R1 S4 Weight 84.25 tons 97.4 tons WOD 68.25 tons 73 tons Drivers 63" 63" Cylinders 21 x 26 21 x 30 Tractive Effort 30,900 35,700 (This information from J. David Conrad's STEAM books.) I read somewhere that C&NW 4-6-0 #175 DOES have a NP tender now, but not sure what class engine it came off of. I know that the NP S-4's served mostly out on the west end of the NP system. So much so that many Northern Pacific personnel out east were doubtful there even WAS such a class! Les |
|
| Author: | John Risley [ Thu Nov 30, 2006 12:44 am ] |
| Post subject: | Re: NP 1354 questions |
Thanks Les. It is a pretty heavy duty tender on the #175 and it is indeed a NP tank. Someone went to a bit of trouble to make it fit the #175, but I don't think it ever was used by the looks of it, not that this matters to anybody. I sent you a person email. If you want some more info I maybe able to line you up with a good source. 1st class fellow too. John |
|
| Page 1 of 1 | All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ] |
| Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group http://www.phpbb.com/ |
|