It is currently Sun Oct 04, 2026 3:28 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: wierd changes
PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2006 8:06 am 

Joined: Sun Aug 22, 2004 7:19 am
Posts: 6464
Location: southeastern USA
Logged on automatically as usual this morning. The server knew who I was and let me on anyhow, providing the flat view I prefer.

I PMed another person - and was asked to provide my user name and password. I did so, and posted the PM. The board then forwarded me to an empty mailbox, and I KNOW I had several messages in mine.

I then was forwarded to a new page with topics presented in thread view.

Huh?

dave

_________________
“God, the beautiful racket of it all: the sighing and hissing, the rattle and clack of the cars over the rails. These were the sounds that made America the greatest country on earth." Jonathan Evison


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: wierd changes
PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 7:12 am 

Joined: Sun Aug 22, 2004 7:19 am
Posts: 6464
Location: southeastern USA
Now I got an email telling me I have a new private message, but there isn't one in my messages.

Are you guys messing with the code again?

dave

_________________
“God, the beautiful racket of it all: the sighing and hissing, the rattle and clack of the cars over the rails. These were the sounds that made America the greatest country on earth." Jonathan Evison


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: wierd changes
PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 7:19 am 

Joined: Sun Aug 22, 2004 7:19 am
Posts: 6464
Location: southeastern USA
OK, just for grins I tried the link in the email and got sent to a mailbox I have never seen before and found the PM. Had to log in with my username and password even though the email obviously knew who I was, otherwise how could I have gotten it?

This is confusing..........and thanks, John. I'd thank you in a PM but not sure where it would end up.

dave

_________________
“God, the beautiful racket of it all: the sighing and hissing, the rattle and clack of the cars over the rails. These were the sounds that made America the greatest country on earth." Jonathan Evison


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: wierd changes
PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 8:45 am 

Joined: Sun Aug 22, 2004 5:15 am
Posts: 718
Location: Illinois
Now that you mentioned it, I received an e mail generated form this site from one of the moderators - friendly of course. I replied to the address in the e mail, and it was returned 'undeliverable'. So I cut and pasted it into a PM and still no reply. I wonder if it ever got through. Are you listening foxvalley?

Hopefully these are not symptoms that this site has become infected.

Bob Kutella


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: wierd changes
PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 8:45 am 
User avatar

Joined: Sun Aug 22, 2004 7:07 am
Posts: 1114
Location: Northeastern US
Is this another instance of cookies "crumming" up the works? ;-)


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: wierd changes
PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 5:11 pm 

Joined: Sun Aug 22, 2004 7:19 am
Posts: 6464
Location: southeastern USA
I don't think so Stephen, in my case anyhow. I learned not to eat at the keyboard a couple computers ago. A couple keys started sticking and multiplying characters on their own. I am also informed my keyboard style - 4 fingers used forcefully enough to make the old manual typewriters I learned on work - probably exceeds modern keyboards robustness.

Maybe Mercury is retrograde? Any astrologers out there? Office Max had computer trouble and a friends digital camera also went down today as well as my external floppy drive.

dave

_________________
“God, the beautiful racket of it all: the sighing and hissing, the rattle and clack of the cars over the rails. These were the sounds that made America the greatest country on earth." Jonathan Evison


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: wierd changes
PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 6:18 pm 
User avatar

Joined: Sun Aug 22, 2004 7:07 am
Posts: 1114
Location: Northeastern US
Sorry Dave, I didn't mean the kind you eat! I meant computer cookies, which I have been advised are the root of most if not ALL discussion forum problems.
http://www.sasked.gov.sk.ca/docs/chemis ... ookies.htm


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: wierd changes
PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 6:50 pm 

Joined: Mon Aug 23, 2004 5:10 pm
Posts: 1182
Right you are, Steve. I flush the cookies out of my work computer every Thursday as a matter of habit. Otherwise, there are actually sites that won't open; instead they crash the machine. And this in a network that has very heavy-duty anti-virus programs they run daily.


Offline
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Jump to: