| Railway Preservation News https://www.rypn.org/forums/ |
|
| Power Requirements for Trains ? https://www.rypn.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=23246 |
Page 1 of 1 |
| Author: | superheater [ Sun Jun 24, 2007 12:18 pm ] |
| Post subject: | Power Requirements for Trains ? |
This might be the province of the BSME's in the audience... Assumptions: Dry level track, wind resistence not existent or immaterial. How much power is required to move a train @ a given speed? That is, if you have a X ton train @ Y MPH that needs Z horsepower to overcome rolling resistence, what amount of power would be required to move the same train @ some multiple of that speed? Would the same train running @ 2*Y MPH require 2*Z horsepower or isn't it that simple. Assume same train. X tons, Y MPH, Z horsepower. How much HP to move that train on a T% grade? |
|
| Author: | Mark D. [ Sun Jun 24, 2007 12:47 pm ] |
| Post subject: | Re: Power Requirements for Trains ? |
Superheater, I have a program that I downloaded from a web site several years ago that calculates this information. You can use any two or three of the criteria and it will calculate the others. PM me and I can work out a way to share it with you. I might even be able to find the original web site. It was the site of a BNSF hogger who used to post a lot on the internet, but I haven't heard from him lately. PM me. Mark D. |
|
| Author: | Andy J [ Sun Jun 24, 2007 2:12 pm ] |
| Post subject: | Re: Power Requirements for Trains ? |
Mark D. wrote: Superheater, I have a program that I downloaded from a web site several years ago that calculates this information. You can use any two or three of the criteria and it will calculate the others.
PM me and I can work out a way to share it with you. I might even be able to find the original web site. It was the site of a BNSF hogger who used to post a lot on the internet, but I haven't heard from him lately. PM me. Mark D. http://www.alkrug.vcn.com/home.html Here is a link to the calculator.. http://www.alkrug.vcn.com/rrfacts/RRForcesCalc.html |
|
| Author: | Loco112 [ Tue Jun 26, 2007 3:14 pm ] |
| Post subject: | Re: Power Requirements for Trains ? |
That program works for scale livesteamers also. I input your basic Colorado narrow gague info for a 1/4 sized K-36 and the average train it would be hauling up a 2% grade and the answer is within 10% of all my calculations. Here is what I input; Loco Hp 30 Car Count 20 Train Tons 20 Loco Tons 1 Car Face Area 5' Grade% 2% Loco Eff% 85% Axles per Car 4 Curve Degrees 20 Here are the results; Speed = 2.6 mph Rolling drag = 2350 lbs Grade drag = 840 lbs Curve drag = 420 lbs Total drag = 3610 lbs Rolling Hp = 16 hp Grade Hp = 5 hp Curve Hp = 2 hp Total Hp = 25 hp Thats a neat program. Can we download it from somehwere? |
|
| Page 1 of 1 | All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ] |
| Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group http://www.phpbb.com/ |
|