| Railway Preservation News https://www.rypn.org/forums/ |
|
| Wooden Water Tanks https://www.rypn.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=23389 |
Page 1 of 1 |
| Author: | colness [ Tue Jul 17, 2007 11:38 am ] |
| Post subject: | Wooden Water Tanks |
I am researching information on wooden water tanks. I am hoping that the collective knowledge on this board can help me in my quest so I greatly appreciate any information that anyone can provide to me. My questions are two-part: 1. I am looking for any water tanks that may have been constructed prior to 1880 and still located in their original location. Specifically, I am trying to see if there are any tanks that were constructed prior to the one in Carver, MN that are still in their original location. I understand that the tank in Carver was constructed in the 1870's. If anyone knows of any other tanks, could you please post their location, year of construction, and if possible a link to any information that could help me in substantiating the information. 2. If anyone happens to know anything about the Carver, MN tank, I would appreciate any information that you have. |
|
| Author: | bobyar2001 [ Wed Jul 18, 2007 10:48 am ] |
| Post subject: | Re: Wooden Water Tanks |
There are a number of wooden water tanks in Colorado on present or abandoned narrow gauge lines. These would be 1880s or later. An inquiry on the Narrow Gauge Discussion Forum may bring some answers. I almost remember doing something on the Carver tank years ago in L&RP, but don't have time to look it up now. Perhaps a reader might be able to find it in their collection. It would be in the Preservation News section of the magazine. http://ngdiscussion.net/phorum/list.php?1 |
|
| Author: | Ron Travis [ Wed Jul 18, 2007 11:31 am ] |
| Post subject: | Re: Wooden Water Tanks |
colness wrote: I am researching information on wooden water tanks. I am hoping that the collective knowledge on this board can help me in my quest so I greatly appreciate any information that anyone can provide to me. My questions are two-part:
1. I am looking for any water tanks that may have been constructed prior to 1880 and still located in their original location. Specifically, I am trying to see if there are any tanks that were constructed prior to the one in Carver, MN that are still in their original location. I understand that the tank in Carver was constructed in the 1870's. If anyone knows of any other tanks, could you please post their location, year of construction, and if possible a link to any information that could help me in substantiating the information. 2. If anyone happens to know anything about the Carver, MN tank, I would appreciate any information that you have. The tank at Carver is at least the second tank there. It was built right about 1901, but I would have to check to get the exact date. I ran across an article in the Carver newpaper that detailed its construction. I did not record that issue date, but I think I could find it again on the microfilm. For a time, the city had a sign on the tower stating that it dated from 1853. The railroad was not there until 1871. But the tank was built as a replacement around 1901. I believe 1853 is the date Carver became a town. The leg structure of the Carver tank is made with rails that terminate in special castings that have pockets shaped to fit the cross section of the rails. I have always wondered if this was a commercial structural system that incorporated standard rail. Has anyone else seen this type of tank support? RTK |
|
| Page 1 of 1 | All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ] |
| Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group http://www.phpbb.com/ |
|