| Railway Preservation News https://www.rypn.org/forums/ |
|
| Erie E8 833- Paint Questions https://www.rypn.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=23402 |
Page 1 of 1 |
| Author: | Howard P. [ Thu Jul 19, 2007 11:01 pm ] |
| Post subject: | Erie E8 833- Paint Questions |
After looking at the recent photos of this gorgeous locomotive, I'm wondering about what paint system was used, and some of the application techniques (airless, HVLP, traditional atomized gun, etc.). What about surface prep? Was the CR paint good enough so that only scuff sanding was needed? Any primer/sealer/surfacer used? It's been a long time since we've painted a diesel loco, and I'm sure the "state of the art" is a bit different these days. We'd like to get some updated info from those who've done first-rate recent work like Erie 833. It's likely there will be some painting projects coming up soon at our place. Anyone out there with the answers? Thanks in advance, Howard P. Centari, CT |
|
| Author: | Bob Kutella [ Fri Jul 20, 2007 7:02 am ] |
| Post subject: | Re: Erie E8 833- Paint Questions |
I would also be interested in the details. I note Howard signed as being from CENTARI connecticut. Kind of funny. Centari is still available but I doubt few of us can 'legally' apply it. There are many restrictions to handling this potentially dangerous catalyzed system. And after reading the consequences of inhaling even a small amount of finely atomized droplets, I would not risk it. Not my lungs donated to the 'cause'. Bob Kutella |
|
| Author: | eldiner [ Fri Jul 20, 2007 9:37 am ] |
| Post subject: | Re: Erie E8 833- Paint Questions |
Guys, I don't have the answers, but I will find out next weekend. Of course, if you can get to Port Jervis next weekend, the people who did the work will be there and can give you the details. |
|
| Author: | Howard P. [ Fri Jul 20, 2007 11:42 am ] |
| Post subject: | Re: Erie E8 833- Paint Questions |
EL: Much as I'd like to get to PJ next weekend (it was one of my E-L haunts in the 1969-74 period) and see 833, that's the weekend before our two DOWT weekends. Too much to do at the NAUG!!! So, please get the details for those of us who can't make it. Bob: I am aware that protection (full air-supply respirator) needs to be used with any of the catalyzed automotive/industrial paints; in fact, it's probably a good idea with any sprayed coating system, particularly indoors. When we last used Centari (to do NH 529), we had both the painter and his helper in full air-supply respirators and full Tyvek suits. And the air pump was outside the building, sucking in clean outside air, not "shop air". Howard P. Safety First, CT |
|
| Author: | Mr. Ed [ Sat Jul 21, 2007 11:24 am ] |
| Post subject: | Re: Erie E8 833- Paint Questions |
I just used Centari to paint my Fairlane and it came out so nice and smooth and shiny that there are only a few spots that will need to be buffed. I used the entire DuPont system including paint, reducer and hardner. I painted it my garage with the attic stlye exhaust fan running and the door up about two feet. I wore a paper toss away suit with hoodie and a cartridge respirator. This is the second time I have used acrylic enamel with excellent results. Yea, it isn't a train but it is metal and will reside outside. Later! Mr. Ed |
|
| Author: | m3ohwell [ Sat Jul 21, 2007 9:07 pm ] |
| Post subject: | Re: Erie E8 833- Paint Questions |
Just spoke with Black River & Western folks. The 833 is still at the BR&W. in Ringoes, NJ. This is where she was painted. Ed K. cp Laurel Run[/i][/b] |
|
| Page 1 of 1 | All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ] |
| Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group http://www.phpbb.com/ |
|