| Railway Preservation News https://www.rypn.org/forums/ |
|
| 3:10 to Yuma remake? https://www.rypn.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=23439 |
Page 1 of 1 |
| Author: | p51 [ Sat Jul 28, 2007 12:10 am ] |
| Post subject: | 3:10 to Yuma remake? |
Among my other hobbies, I'm into Cowboy Action Shooting, and that community is all abuzz about the remake of "3:10 to Yuma." I searched high and low looking for info on the train(s) used, but I couldn't find any photos from the set but I did find this page showing the equipment being readied for movement to the set. I must admit, that looks pretty good, even unfinished! Now, the 2-6-0 wheel arrangement wasn't all that popular back then, and if the movie takes place in the 1880s, the Southern Pacific wasn't really a name of note until a corporate takeover in 1885, so most of the equipment back then would either totally or mostly be lettered for the "Central Pacific". It's some of the same equipment that was used in the TV series, "North and South," which was about the only halfway decent authentic thing used in that whole series... If memory serves, their shop building also doubled for a RR station in that series as well. You can still se remnants of the fake stone columns on the inside of the enginehouse... It's a shame they couldn't find a good standard gauge early 4-4-0 but there's just not that many out there that will steam (at least ones a museum will let a movie company use). I think after they cleaned up that mogul, it probably looked pretty good. Anyone here work on this project and can fill the rest of us in on it? I'll be heading the theaters come September when it comes out! |
|
| Author: | Brian Norden [ Sat Jul 28, 2007 12:48 am ] |
| Post subject: | Re: 3:10 to Yuma remake? |
Quote: . . . and if the movie takes place in the 1880s, the Southern Pacific wasn't really a name of note until a corporate takeover in 1885, so most of the equipment back then would either totally or mostly be lettered for the "Central Pacific".
Maybe you're correct in that, but the lines down through California and then on east were built by the various Southern Pacific companies under the control of the Central Pacific. The companies were SP (of Cal.), SP of Arizona, and SP of New Mexico which did purchase equipment in their own name and lettering. These companies disappeared under lease to the CP and SP. And I'll agree that a 4-4-0 would be correct for the time period. |
|
| Author: | gbrewer [ Sat Jul 28, 2007 10:45 am ] |
| Post subject: | Re: 3:10 to Yuma remake? |
Actually, a Mogul isn't inappropriate for the period. I'm over 1000 miles from my books, but I believe the D&RG had a Mogul as early as 1872. I wouldn't be at all surprised if the SP did too. Yes, only the Sacramento (or perhaps San Francisco) - Ogden line was CP, the rest of the lines built by the "Big Four" were SP -- although some may have had separate incorporations under different names in the very early years. Texas, of course, required separate incorporations and names for years. It is good to see the old Moscow, Camden & San Augustine/Reader engines getting out of the shop once in awhile. Can anyone else tell me what is happening in Reader? Glen |
|
| Author: | nathansixchime [ Sat Jul 28, 2007 11:37 am ] |
| Post subject: | Re: 3:10 to Yuma remake? |
I love how the trailer for the film has precisely one shot of the namesake train in it...but at least the poster shows it off:
KL |
|
| Author: | Alan Maples [ Sat Jul 28, 2007 2:09 pm ] |
| Post subject: | Re: 3:10 to Yuma remake? |
gbrewer wrote: It is good to see the old Moscow, Camden & San Augustine/Reader engines getting out of the shop once in awhile. Can anyone else tell me what is happening in Reader?
Glen I don't know what else is happening in Reader, but I was told that the much traveled Carter Brothers 2-6-2 #4 was recently returned to Reader after having been stored for some time at Dardanelle, AR. Alan Maples |
|
| Author: | nathansixchime [ Mon Aug 06, 2007 4:55 pm ] |
| Post subject: | Re: 3:10 to Yuma remake? |
Unfortunately, an art director for the Special Edition remake of 3:10 to Yuma happens to feature a Chinese locomotive! D'oh! Is that an SY?
|
|
| Author: | Dennis Storzek [ Mon Aug 06, 2007 5:29 pm ] |
| Post subject: | Re: 3:10 to Yuma remake? |
What, isn't Yuma in Schezuan province? |
|
| Page 1 of 1 | All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ] |
| Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group http://www.phpbb.com/ |
|