| Railway Preservation News https://www.rypn.org/forums/ |
|
| Monticello Railroad Museum encourages young people https://www.rypn.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=23497 |
Page 1 of 1 |
| Author: | jd johnson [ Mon Aug 06, 2007 9:17 am ] |
| Post subject: | Monticello Railroad Museum encourages young people |
Everyone, Over the weekend, I went to visit my sister in Champain Ill. While there, my family and I went to ride the train at the Monticello Railroad Museum. We arrived for the 12:30 train. It was being pulled by their Canadian National FA ALCO. It was a good ride and my family enjoyed it (even my Mrs.). On the return trip we chose to ride the caboose which is pushed backward all the way back to Nelson Crossing Station. On the caboose was a young man of 13 named Alex. He was gung ho and very knowlegeable about the musuem and even the caboose we were riding in. He is 13 years old and was acting as a car host while the conductor/fireman was blowing a set of air horns for the crossings as we backed up. This young man has been involved with the museum since he was six. I was really impressed with his attitude and his kindness to my family. He was proffessional and answered my questions about the museum very candidly. When the trip was over, my family and I thanked him and then I went to the engine house to check on the 401. The engine is coming along nicely. The new cab is in place and the valve gear is going on. On this day, they were fitting the drypipe in the boiler. The men in the engine house are working hard to get it running for the 2008 season. It looks to me that they may just make it. Only time will tell. I appreciated very much all the kindness shown to me by all the crew. We need to support these folks and other railroad museums. They not only preserve the past but are making plans for the future by cultivating young people too. Check them out, JD Johnson, Morehead and North Fork Railroad Historian. |
|
| Author: | jd johnson [ Tue Aug 07, 2007 2:16 pm ] |
| Post subject: | Re: Monticello Railway Museum encourages young people |
Everyone, I looked at Monticello's web site and found that they are a "Railway" not "Railroad" musuem. My appologies for the typo. They can be found on the web at www.mrym.org As to the you man I mentioned, I was encouraged due to his enthusiasm and professionalism. He is one who can be cultivated to stay in the museum as a volunteer. Take, JD Johnson, Morehead and North Fork Railroad Historian |
|
| Page 1 of 1 | All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ] |
| Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group http://www.phpbb.com/ |
|