Railway Preservation News
https://www.rypn.org/forums/

Last Day of the Kettle Moraine
https://www.rypn.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=23526
Page 1 of 2

Author:  bobyar2001 [ Wed Aug 08, 2007 11:51 pm ]
Post subject:  Last Day of the Kettle Moraine

Last day of operations for this Wisconsin tourist line, in 2001:

http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.p ... 721&nseq=5
http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.p ... 726&nseq=2

Both engines saw their last revenue service in Idaho, No. 3 on the Craig Mountain Railway, and No. 9 on the Nezperce Railroad. The rails of those two lines, plus the Kettle Moraine are all now gone.

Author:  Robin Warren [ Thu Aug 09, 2007 7:57 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Last Day of the Kettle Moraine

Where is #3 and #9 today?

Author:  scottychaos [ Thu Aug 09, 2007 8:10 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Last Day of the Kettle Moraine

Robin Warren wrote:
Where is #3 and #9 today?


National RR Museum in Green Bay.

Scot

Author:  pm-man [ Thu Aug 09, 2007 9:53 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Last Day of the Kettle Moraine

Are either of them still in operable condition?

TJG

Author:  Stephen S. Syfrett [ Thu Aug 09, 2007 12:55 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Last Day of the Kettle Moraine

I'm sure there is a thread here somewhere, but what about the passenger equipment. Did the cars also go to Green Bay or were they parceled out to several entities who bought the cars individually?

Author:  Steve Freer [ Thu Aug 09, 2007 12:57 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Kettle cars

I spotted their combine at the Santa Fe Southern in 2004.

Author:  jimwrinn [ Thu Aug 09, 2007 1:04 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Kettle cars

The 2-6-2 is still at North Lake. The Heisler is at Green Bay. Neither has operated since I've been here (3 years come October 27!)

Best, Jim

Author:  Stephen S. Syfrett [ Thu Aug 09, 2007 1:05 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Kettle cars

I never saw the Kettle Moraine operation personally, but from the photo posted by Bob they don't appear to be the usual ex-DL&W/EL commuter cars. The clerestory seems higher than the commuter cars I've seen in photos of on so many operations. Even the New Georgia Railroad used a pair acquired with the Hartwell RR equipment when they were getting started. I wonder what happened to those two cars?

Author:  Les Beckman [ Thu Aug 09, 2007 1:18 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Kettle cars

jimwrinn wrote:
The 2-6-2 is still at North Lake. The Heisler is at Green Bay. Neither has operated since I've been here (3 years come October 27!)

Best, Jim


I managed to finally ride the KM on its last day of operation. The ride was quite good and it made me sad that I had not gone up there many more times to enjoy the operation.

Surprised to hear that Prairie #9 is still at North Lake. I thought she had been sold (or donated) to someone. She is really quite a nice locomotive.

Les

Author:  Dennis Storzek [ Thu Aug 09, 2007 1:29 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Kettle cars

You have to make the distinction between the DL&W cars built for steam train service (the so called Boonton cars) and the former electric MU cars. Some of the later may have been trailers, others have been demotored; all have the squished clerestory.

Image
"Boonton" car at MCRM

Image
MU trailer a t Osceola & St. Croix Valley (MTM)



I recall the Heisler running around the loop at Green Bay at least one summer. . . '02? . . . '03? I haven't been back up there since.

Author:  colfaxstation [ Thu Aug 09, 2007 6:26 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Last Day of the Kettle Moraine

The Colfax RR Museum got the remnants of the GN Barney & Smith car. You could shake the metal sides, it was so rotten. We're using the parts for restoring two other cars we have. The Milwaukee Barney & Smith car was still there in Feb '06 along with a CB&Q coach. The business car had been sold and moved, I believe the prior summer/fall. The open side excursion cars were still there too.

Author:  Alan Maples [ Thu Aug 09, 2007 7:42 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Kettle cars

There are two KM coaches (DL&W "Boonton" cars) at Green Bay, however neither happened to be in use when I visited four days ago. The one car "train" had a different coach, origins unknown to me, which appeared to have been modified with a large open vestibule on one end to facilitate handicap access.

Alan Maples

Author:  Les Beckman [ Thu Aug 09, 2007 10:24 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Kettle cars

Alan Maples wrote:
There are two KM coaches (DL&W "Boonton" cars) at Green Bay, however neither happened to be in use when I visited four days ago. The one car "train" had a different coach, origins unknown to me, which appeared to have been modified with a large open vestibule on one end to facilitate handicap access.

Alan Maples


Alan -

And the motive power of the train was..........?

Les

Author:  junior [ Fri Aug 10, 2007 12:02 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Kettle cars

That combine and another coach were actually butchered CNJ cars...vestibles cut "open" to blend in with the actual DL&W coach(s) they had.

Two cars ended up on SFS...the combine and a coach.

Author:  Alan Maples [ Fri Aug 10, 2007 10:26 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Kettle cars

Les Beckman wrote:
Alan -

And the motive power of the train was..........?

Les


Les, it was an Alco switcher painted orange, and not being an expert on Alco switchers, that's all I can tell you about it.

Alan Maples

Page 1 of 2 All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group
http://www.phpbb.com/