It is currently Mon Oct 05, 2026 8:45 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: Warren & Saline River 1702
PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 3:50 pm 

Joined: Sun Aug 22, 2004 9:35 am
Posts: 8139
Location: Wilton, NY
Only USATC S160 sold for U.S. lower-48 common carrier use that I know of.

http://abpr2.railfan.net/abprphoto.cgi? ... 1702_2.jpg

Back of photo:

http://abpr2.railfan.net/abprphoto.cgi? ... info_2.jpg

Anyone know which military installation it worked at before the W&SR?


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Warren & Saline River 1702
PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 7:26 pm 

Joined: Sun Aug 22, 2004 9:16 am
Posts: 500
Location: Northern Illinois
So who does that tender belong to behind 1702, the apparent oil bunker tender (note hand rails) letttered Bradley Lumber Company? Just wondering....

Don C.


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Warren & Saline River 1702
PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 8:43 pm 

Joined: Sun Aug 22, 2004 9:35 am
Posts: 8139
Location: Wilton, NY
I'd like to know also. The 4-6-0 still at Warren was said to have belonged to the Southern Lumber Company, but the Bradley Lumber Company is new to me. I've heard that part of the W&SR is still extant, but the W&OV is gone. Perhaps someone can tell us more.


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Warren & Saline River 1702
PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 8:53 pm 

Joined: Wed Aug 25, 2004 10:46 pm
Posts: 149
I believe the tender currently behind the 1702 is from a 2-8-2. I'll have to check my notes at work, as I believe I have somewhat of a spec sheet from the class of locomotives that supplied the tender. The original tender is still in a museum in Texas I believe.

Ryan


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Warren & Saline River 1702
PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 10:12 pm 

Joined: Mon Aug 23, 2004 10:49 am
Posts: 773
The tender currently resides in the Railroad Musuem in Galveston as pert of a wreck train display.


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Warren & Saline River 1702
PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 10:35 pm 
User avatar

Joined: Fri Oct 01, 2004 2:46 pm
Posts: 2696
Location: Pac NW, via North Florida
My info has it being used from the 1950s at Ft Benning. It was built in 1942. It was sold in 1946 to the Warren & Saline River. In 1964 it went to the Reader Railroad, then in 1985 to the Fremont & Elkhorn Valley Railroad. It finally went to the Great Smoky Mountains Railroad in the 1980s and runs today. As already noted, 1702's original tender is at the Galveston Island Railroad Museum in Texas.


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: 1702 tender
PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 11:23 pm 

Joined: Sun Aug 22, 2004 9:35 am
Posts: 8139
Location: Wilton, NY
I've heard the present tender came from a Rock Island 2-8-2, probably last used with that CRI&P big hook at Galveston, which then got the USATC tender. Don't know the engine number, but it might still be visible as an outline under the paint. I know you could see the previous engine numbers on some of the "loaf of bread" snowplows that were previously behind Rock Island 4-6-2s.


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 1702 tender
PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 6:20 pm 

Joined: Wed Aug 25, 2004 10:46 pm
Posts: 149
The info I have shows a Rock Island Road Class K-64 Mike. Loco No's 2649-2678. Loco's were built by Alco.

Ryan


Offline
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Jump to: