| Railway Preservation News https://www.rypn.org/forums/ |
|
| Warren & Saline River 1702 https://www.rypn.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=23631 |
Page 1 of 1 |
| Author: | bobyar2001 [ Thu Aug 16, 2007 3:50 pm ] |
| Post subject: | Warren & Saline River 1702 |
Only USATC S160 sold for U.S. lower-48 common carrier use that I know of. http://abpr2.railfan.net/abprphoto.cgi? ... 1702_2.jpg Back of photo: http://abpr2.railfan.net/abprphoto.cgi? ... info_2.jpg Anyone know which military installation it worked at before the W&SR? |
|
| Author: | Don C. [ Thu Aug 16, 2007 7:26 pm ] |
| Post subject: | Re: Warren & Saline River 1702 |
So who does that tender belong to behind 1702, the apparent oil bunker tender (note hand rails) letttered Bradley Lumber Company? Just wondering.... Don C. |
|
| Author: | bobyar2001 [ Thu Aug 16, 2007 8:43 pm ] |
| Post subject: | Re: Warren & Saline River 1702 |
I'd like to know also. The 4-6-0 still at Warren was said to have belonged to the Southern Lumber Company, but the Bradley Lumber Company is new to me. I've heard that part of the W&SR is still extant, but the W&OV is gone. Perhaps someone can tell us more. |
|
| Author: | Ryan Scott [ Thu Aug 16, 2007 8:53 pm ] |
| Post subject: | Re: Warren & Saline River 1702 |
I believe the tender currently behind the 1702 is from a 2-8-2. I'll have to check my notes at work, as I believe I have somewhat of a spec sheet from the class of locomotives that supplied the tender. The original tender is still in a museum in Texas I believe. Ryan |
|
| Author: | Txhighballer [ Thu Aug 16, 2007 10:12 pm ] |
| Post subject: | Re: Warren & Saline River 1702 |
The tender currently resides in the Railroad Musuem in Galveston as pert of a wreck train display. |
|
| Author: | p51 [ Thu Aug 16, 2007 10:35 pm ] |
| Post subject: | Re: Warren & Saline River 1702 |
My info has it being used from the 1950s at Ft Benning. It was built in 1942. It was sold in 1946 to the Warren & Saline River. In 1964 it went to the Reader Railroad, then in 1985 to the Fremont & Elkhorn Valley Railroad. It finally went to the Great Smoky Mountains Railroad in the 1980s and runs today. As already noted, 1702's original tender is at the Galveston Island Railroad Museum in Texas. |
|
| Author: | bobyar2001 [ Thu Aug 16, 2007 11:23 pm ] |
| Post subject: | 1702 tender |
I've heard the present tender came from a Rock Island 2-8-2, probably last used with that CRI&P big hook at Galveston, which then got the USATC tender. Don't know the engine number, but it might still be visible as an outline under the paint. I know you could see the previous engine numbers on some of the "loaf of bread" snowplows that were previously behind Rock Island 4-6-2s. |
|
| Author: | Ryan Scott [ Fri Aug 17, 2007 6:20 pm ] |
| Post subject: | Re: 1702 tender |
The info I have shows a Rock Island Road Class K-64 Mike. Loco No's 2649-2678. Loco's were built by Alco. Ryan |
|
| Page 1 of 1 | All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ] |
| Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group http://www.phpbb.com/ |
|