| Railway Preservation News https://www.rypn.org/forums/ |
|
| Railroad equipment north of Monon https://www.rypn.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=25319 |
Page 1 of 1 |
| Author: | Steve B [ Mon May 19, 2008 7:27 pm ] |
| Post subject: | Railroad equipment north of Monon |
Yesterday while driving around NW Indiana, engaging in my wife’s hobby of visiting every county in every state, we came upon what I first thought was a railroad museum that I was unaware of but I believe it was a restaurant north of Monon. There was a Monon steam wrecker and boom car and a Wabash caboose and quite a bit of other stuff. Since we were on the way to a family reunion we didn’t stop and I was wondering what all is there and who does it belong to? Steve |
|
| Author: | caboose9 [ Mon May 19, 2008 11:14 pm ] |
| Post subject: | Re: Railroad equipment north of Monon |
The Monon Connection Museum <www.mononconnection.com>, Monon, IN, has steel, streamlined cupola, Wabash 2822 caboose. Roger |
|
| Author: | Les Beckman [ Tue May 20, 2008 12:06 am ] |
| Post subject: | Re: Railroad equipment north of Monon |
Steve B wrote: Yesterday while driving around NW Indiana, engaging in my wife’s hobby of visiting every county in every state, we came upon what I first thought was a railroad museum that I was unaware of but I believe it was a restaurant north of Monon. There was a Monon steam wrecker and boom car and a Wabash caboose and quite a bit of other stuff. Since we were on the way to a family reunion we didn’t stop and I was wondering what all is there and who does it belong to?
Steve Steve - The steam wrecker is actually Belt Railway of Chicago # 190, not Monon. Les |
|
| Author: | survivingworldsteam [ Tue May 20, 2008 11:22 am ] |
| Post subject: | Re: Railroad equipment north of Monon |
Les Beckman wrote: Steve - The steam wrecker is actually Belt Railway of Chicago # 190, not Monon. Les Les; Would you happen to know the construction details for this steam crane? I was sent a list of preserved railroad cranes a few years ago; this one appears to not be on it. Thanks in advance. |
|
| Author: | survivingworldsteam [ Tue May 20, 2008 11:26 am ] |
| Post subject: | Re: Railroad equipment north of Monon |
survivingworldsteam wrote: Les Beckman wrote: Steve - The steam wrecker is actually Belt Railway of Chicago # 190, not Monon. Les Les; Would you happen to know the construction details for this steam crane? I was sent a list of preserved railroad cranes a few years ago; this one appears to not be on it. Thanks in advance. Found a picture of the crane in the musuem's photo gallery; the title indicates it is 150 ton crane built by Bucyrus in 1929: http://www.mononconnection.com/photos/d ... 5ecd4f4e88 This is definitely a new entry; all I am missing is the serial number. |
|
| Author: | survivingworldsteam [ Tue May 20, 2008 4:38 pm ] |
| Post subject: | Re: Railroad equipment north of Monon |
I forwarded the above information to the individual who is mantaining the railway crane list (John A Taubeneck). He says he has two Bucyrus cranes numbered Belt Ry of Chicago #190. Neither one fits the above perfectly. Anybody have any idea which one it is: Bucyrus #3711 04-23 100t SW Belt Ry of Chicago #190 Bucyrus #9711 09-27 150t SW Belt Ry of Chicago #190 Chicago & Western Indiana RR scrapped? He also pointed out the Union Pacific steam crane and tender pictured at the top of the link below. The crane is #910004; the vanderbuilt tender is #900489. Both have been sitting in a scrapyard in Portland, OR since the late 1970s, and are for sale: http://www.brian894x4.com/RRrailmaintequipphotos.html |
|
| Author: | Steve B [ Tue May 20, 2008 7:54 pm ] |
| Post subject: | Re: Railroad equipment north of Monon |
Thanks for the info and next time I'll have to stop and have a look around. Steve |
|
| Author: | survivingworldsteam [ Wed May 21, 2008 10:29 am ] |
| Post subject: | Re: Railroad equipment north of Monon |
You're welcome. John contacted the Monon Connection museum, and found out theirs is the second of the two cranes John listed: Bucyrus #9711 09-27 150t SW Belt Ry of Chicago #190 Chicago & Western Indiana RR scrapped? Good to know it was not scrapped for once! |
|
| Page 1 of 1 | All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ] |
| Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group http://www.phpbb.com/ |
|