| Railway Preservation News https://www.rypn.org/forums/ |
|
| B&O Museum - quick questions https://www.rypn.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=25323 |
Page 1 of 1 |
| Author: | pennsy3750 [ Tue May 20, 2008 9:45 am ] |
| Post subject: | B&O Museum - quick questions |
With the semester (and my college career) now completed, I'm planning a trip to both Strasburg and the B&O Museum, among other places. I've done Strasburg before so I pretty much know what I need to know, but I've never been to Baltimore. Is the GG1 stashed someplace where I can get to it? I know its in tough shape, but since I'm a Pennsy fan I want to see it anyway. Assuming the excursion train is running when I'm there, what's a good place to shoot it running over the First Mile? Does the museum allow indoor use of a tripod? ************************************************ Since I'm on the subject, do the engines lead on MARC trains going into or out of Baltimore? The B&O Museum doesn't open until 11am so I may use the morning hours to get a few shots of Thomas Viaduct. |
|
| Author: | C. Edwards [ Tue May 20, 2008 12:47 pm ] |
| Post subject: | Re: B&O Museum - quick questions |
Hey there Pennsy, The GG1 is inside the fence at the restoration facility which is about 1/2 mile west of the main campus. You will be able to see it from the train ride as it goes right by. If you want to reach it on foot I can give you directions, but its kind of a sketchy neighborhood at best so I would recommend checking it out from the train first and then figuring out whether or not you want to go. The train ride should be running any day but Mon and Tues barring any unforseen mechanical glitches. Good shots of the excursion train can be gotten from the pedestrian crossing by the Mt Claire Crossing shopping ctr or even better from the old Pep Boys back lot off of Carey St near where we cross over Carey. Other than that the fields west of Carey have a number of good spots, however see above about the neighborhood. If you are there on a weekday there will only be one run of the train, but Sat has 3 and Sun has 2. The Tripod thing I think would be fine, I've seen people with them in the museum before, the only thing some people may ask about is whether the shots are for commercial use to which I assume the answer is no in which case it is fine. Let me know if I can answer any more questions. |
|
| Author: | bbunge [ Tue May 20, 2008 12:52 pm ] |
| Post subject: | Re: B&O Museum - quick questions |
MARC locos are on the north end of the train (normally). Bob |
|
| Author: | Les Beckman [ Tue May 20, 2008 1:00 pm ] |
| Post subject: | Re: B&O Museum - quick questions |
C. Edwards wrote: The train ride should be running any day but Mon and Tues barring any unforseen mechanical glitches. Good shots of the excursion train can be gotten from the pedestrian crossing by the Mt Claire Crossing shopping ctr or even better from the old Pep Boys back lot off of Carey St near where we cross over Carey. Other than that the fields west of Carey have a number of good spots, however see above about the neighborhood. If you are there on a weekday there will only be one run of the train, but Sat has 3 and Sun has 2.
And the motive power is usually..........? Les |
|
| Author: | PaulWWoodring [ Tue May 20, 2008 2:58 pm ] |
| Post subject: | Re: B&O Museum - quick questions |
bbunge wrote: MARC locos are on the north end of the train (normally).
Keeps them out from under the parking deck at Washington Union Station. I was with a camera club outing to the museum in January, and the only restrictions on photography and tripods were that it be for personal use only, and not to interfere with any other visitors. At one point, things were empty enough for some of us to get the classic lay-on-your-back-in-the-middle-of-the-turntable and shoot up to the center of the cupola shot. As a CSX engineer qualified in Baltimore Terminal, I would second the caution about the neighborhood around Mt. Clare. Someone who looks out of place in back areas of the museum property (like a fairly well-off, camera equipped railfan) would possibly be a target. Now, if you want to photograph a freight train crossing Washington Blvd. at the old Montgomery Wards bldg. in daylight, that would probably be pretty safe. |
|
| Author: | C. Edwards [ Tue May 20, 2008 3:43 pm ] |
| Post subject: | Re: B&O Museum - quick questions |
Les- SW-7 #1200 is normally the power, but she's in the shop with a compressor shaft issue so SD-35 #7402 is pinch hitting for awhile. |
|
| Author: | Richard Glueck [ Tue May 20, 2008 7:45 pm ] |
| Post subject: | Re: B&O Museum - quick questions |
If you do get detail shots of the GG1, I for one, would like to see them linked here. However, don't risk your life or camera just to get them. Have a good trip. |
|
| Author: | bbunge [ Wed May 21, 2008 8:15 am ] |
| Post subject: | Re: B&O Museum - quick questions |
C. Edwards wrote: The GG1 is inside the fence at the restoration facility which is about 1/2 mile west of the main campus.
It is great news to hear it is now inside the fence. Bob |
|
| Page 1 of 1 | All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ] |
| Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group http://www.phpbb.com/ |
|