It is currently Tue Sep 29, 2026 1:59 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 15 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: 4-6-4 Hudson in Mexico
PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 10:27 am 

Joined: Tue Oct 27, 2009 5:32 pm
Posts: 85
I never knew a 4-6-4 existed in Mexico untill today.I assume it was built for NdeM? http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.p ... 53&nseq=28


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 4-6-4 Hudson in Mexico
PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 10:35 am 

Joined: Sun Aug 22, 2004 11:26 am
Posts: 4777
Location: Maine
Nice looking locomotive. I'll bet she'd be fast on a flat track, too. I wonder if they suffer the vandalism - theft problem that is so pervasive in the U.S.?

_________________
"It's only impossible until it's done." -Nelson Mandela


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 4-6-4 Hudson in Mexico
PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 10:41 am 

Joined: Sun Aug 22, 2004 1:51 pm
Posts: 12169
Location: Somewhere east of Prescott, AZ along the old Santa Fe "Prescott & Eastern"
JohnnyWinkler wrote:
I never knew a 4-6-4 existed in Mexico untill today.I assume it was built for NdeM?


Yes, class NR-1, Alco Schenectady 1937.


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 4-6-4 Hudson in Mexico
PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 11:09 am 

Joined: Tue Oct 27, 2009 5:32 pm
Posts: 85
Thanks Alexander.


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 4-6-4 Hudson in Mexico
PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 11:13 am 

Joined: Tue Aug 02, 2005 1:25 pm
Posts: 6485
I am going from memory here, so please correct me if I am wrong. I believe that some (all?) of the Hudson's in Mexico were built as 3 cylinder machines. I don't know if they were converted later to 2 cylinders or not. Help needed...and welcomed! Thanks.

Les


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 4-6-4 Hudson in Mexico
PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 11:20 am 

Joined: Sun Aug 22, 2004 1:51 pm
Posts: 12169
Location: Somewhere east of Prescott, AZ along the old Santa Fe "Prescott & Eastern"
Doesn't appear that way:

http://www.steamlocomotive.com/hudson/?page=ndem


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 4-6-4 Hudson in Mexico
PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 12:49 pm 

Speaking of Mexico, whatever happened to Sammy King who used to post on this board beautiful artwork and photos of Mexican steam?

Sloan


  
 
 Post subject: Re: 4-6-4 Hudson in Mexico
PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 1:12 pm 

Joined: Sun Aug 22, 2004 7:19 am
Posts: 6464
Location: southeastern USA
You will find him alive and well and living on the Baldwins in Guatemala with Caprotti poppets threads. Same town, different address.

dave

_________________
“God, the beautiful racket of it all: the sighing and hissing, the rattle and clack of the cars over the rails. These were the sounds that made America the greatest country on earth." Jonathan Evison


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 4-6-4 Hudson in Mexico
PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 1:55 pm 

Joined: Tue Sep 14, 2004 7:52 am
Posts: 2477
.


Last edited by Kelly Anderson on Sun Aug 04, 2024 9:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 4-6-4 Hudson in Mexico
PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 6:39 pm 

Joined: Tue Aug 02, 2005 1:25 pm
Posts: 6485
Les Beckman wrote:
I am going from memory here, so please correct me if I am wrong. I believe that some (all?) of the Hudson's in Mexico were built as 3 cylinder machines. I don't know if they were converted later to 2 cylinders or not. Help needed...and welcomed! Thanks.

Les


Well, I did a bit of checking on the internet and yes, I was wrong. The engines I was thinking of weren't the Hudson's. Instead, there were four 3 cylinder PACIFIC's built for the Mexican Railway by Alco in Schenectady in 1928 and numbered 130-133. And then the railroad purchased 3 additional engines, numbered 134-136, a number of years later, this time built by Alco's Montreal Works. These engines all ran for NdeM with their 3 cylinders into the 1960's! Unfortunately, I can't find any record of any of them being saved. Which is a real shame.

Les


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 4-6-4 Hudson in Mexico
PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 7:46 pm 

Joined: Sun Aug 22, 2004 3:37 pm
Posts: 1325
Location: Pacific, MO
The Hudson on display looks in good cosmetic condition, despite the drab paint job.


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 4-6-4 Hudson in Mexico
PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 1:02 pm 

Joined: Sun Sep 05, 2004 9:48 am
Posts: 1676
Location: Byers, Colorado
Mr. Sloan, you flatter an egocentric old man !!! This gives me an excuse to reply with a typicaly long winded disertation....

First off, not to mention any names, but I had pretty much given up on RyPN because of several unpleasant and unproductive exchanges on Interchange. Suffice it to say that I am a lot more interested in trains than in getting into a "urinating contest" with anybody online. Life is too short. Fortunately the nice people far outnumber the other variety.

Therefore, I missed this thread until last night, or I would have jumped in right away to show how much I know. My friend Les has it right, the three cylinder FCM Pacifics worked until the mid 60s and then all went to the big roundhouse in the sky, and the Hudsons were built as 2 cylinder engines. I hear those Hudsons would boogie, too. While NdeM saved many smaller steam classes including quite a few mechanical rarities and historic treasures, out of the big power, only a single Hudson and "only" half the Niagara fleet survived. As if to say that NdeM didn't do enough for us, not one single mallet, articulated, twelve wheeler, mountain, USRA mike, or berkshire survived.

Because of an unforeseen server problem, the images attached to most of my archived articles on RyPN simply vanished one day. David Collison is now working on restoring these, and I think all are functioning again except the Mexicano del Pacifico article and the last 5 sections of my first Chinese steam feature. While it may look like I disappeared for awhile, such is not the case. The RyPN site continues to support my material, which I very much appreciate.

However, the title pages never did make it into the archives, and this includes the FCI watercolor mentioned earlier. It was the last thing I ever painted, 33 years ago, and the original was donated to the FCI museum in Cuautla, Morelos. Don't know what became of it after that, but I have a color 8x10 print copy here. I scanned it, but can't figure out how to insert it into this message. If anybody would like, I'll be happy to send a decent size image file to you by private email: catdaddy@netecin.net

VIVA VAPOR MEXICANO

_________________
I am just an old man...
who wants to fix up an old locomotive.

Sammy King


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 4-6-4 Hudson in Mexico
PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 1:22 pm 

Joined: Sun Aug 22, 2004 8:28 am
Posts: 2732
Location: Salt Lake City, Utah
With regard to the now-extinct 3 cylinder NdeM hudsons, what was the valve gear arrangement for the middle cylinder? Gresley, or something else?

_________________
David M. Wilkins

"They love him, gentlemen, and they respect him, not only for himself, for his character, for his integrity and judgment and iron will, but they love him most of all for the enemies he has made."


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 4-6-4 Hudson in Mexico
PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 1:57 pm 

Joined: Sun Sep 05, 2004 9:48 am
Posts: 1676
Location: Byers, Colorado
The three cylinder 4-6-2s of the Ferrocarril Mexicano used a Gresley valve gear for the third cylinder. The NdeM Hudsons were two cylinder engines, always.

_________________
I am just an old man...
who wants to fix up an old locomotive.

Sammy King


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 4-6-4 Hudson in Mexico
PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 2:57 pm 

Joined: Sun Aug 22, 2004 8:28 am
Posts: 2732
Location: Salt Lake City, Utah
Sammy,

Thanks, I had my wheel arrangements confused.

Interesting to see that such 3 cylinder success on this side of the pond, outside of UP and SP power.

_________________
David M. Wilkins

"They love him, gentlemen, and they respect him, not only for himself, for his character, for his integrity and judgment and iron will, but they love him most of all for the enemies he has made."


Offline
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 15 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Jump to: