Railway Preservation News
https://www.rypn.org/forums/

NH&I #9 sold to SMS shortline!
https://www.rypn.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=28203
Page 1 of 3

Author:  Richard Glueck [ Fri Sep 25, 2009 10:29 pm ]
Post subject:  NH&I #9 sold to SMS shortline!

The ex-USATC 0-6-0, formerly of the Virginia Blue Ridge, has been sold to the SMS shortline of New Jersey, famous for it's fleet of Baldwin Diesel switchers. The locomotive will be moved sometime this Fall, and restoration to service will begin when plans and evaluations are completed.
More good news for steam folks!

Author:  trainspot [ Fri Sep 25, 2009 10:51 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: NH&I #9 sold to SMS shortline!

Yes, the Baldwin railroad did indeed buy an Alco! Would anyone be able to point me in the right direction for obtaining a set of blueprints for this engine? Here's a photo from today:

Image

Author:  junior [ Sat Sep 26, 2009 9:00 am ]
Post subject:  Re: NH&I #9 sold to SMS shortline!

Not a surprise considering they own all the baldwins that NH&I had and they also have on their property/own the RDG Caboose and other former NHSR equipment...and even employees of the early NH&I/NHSR.

Will be nice to see if they get it back under steam. A total brute from everything I heard.

Author:  Dave Crosby [ Sat Sep 26, 2009 3:20 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: NH&I #9 sold to SMS shortline!

It would be great to see this back in steam. With so many of these units that once ran in tourist service, it would be nice to see one alive again here in the states.

There are two in Canada currently running.

Formerly operational: Morris County Central 4039, Cooperstown & Charlotte Valley 2 (?), New Hope 9, the 4047 in Madison, SD. Am I missing any?

Dave Crosby

Author:  limejuice [ Sun Sep 27, 2009 8:33 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: NH&I #9 sold to SMS shortline!

I think the longtime NH&I workhorse ex-PRR 9423 (SW1) is on SMS property as well. I guess when you graduate from NH&I you go to SMS?

Author:  junior [ Mon Oct 05, 2009 1:44 am ]
Post subject:  Re: NH&I #9 sold to SMS shortline!

It was and Im sure still is after its stint on the East Penn's Boyertown Br operation...but that was always a privately owned loco (9423) while on the NH&I.

Probably still is owned my the same 2 peoeple.

Author:  trainspot [ Mon Oct 05, 2009 11:23 am ]
Post subject:  Re: NH&I #9 sold to SMS shortline!

junior wrote:
It was and Im sure still is after its stint on the East Penn's Boyertown Br operation...but that was always a privately owned loco (9423) while on the NH&I.

Probably still is owned my the same 2 peoeple.


Correct. SMS is just giving it a place to stay for the time being.

Author:  trainspot [ Tue Dec 08, 2009 10:00 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: NH&I #9 sold to SMS shortline!

Well, #9 made the move today! Here's a few pics.

1) Loaded on a trailer at New Hope, PA
2) Off trailer at SMS shops on live rail again
3) A PRR & B&O Baldwin help the "lost" tender reunite with its engine.

Attachments:
sms51.jpg
sms51.jpg [ 90.81 KiB | Viewed 11166 times ]
sms52.jpg
sms52.jpg [ 76.43 KiB | Viewed 11162 times ]
sms53.jpg
sms53.jpg [ 76.58 KiB | Viewed 11141 times ]

Author:  trainspot [ Tue Dec 08, 2009 10:41 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: NH&I #9 sold to SMS shortline!

Shot a clip of offloading also:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GMrK8kH2EeE

Author:  Richard Glueck [ Wed Dec 09, 2009 12:57 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: NH&I #9 sold to SMS shortline!

Now you have to admit, for a locomotive that has sat neglected and deemed an eyesore for thirty years, this is some of the better news of 2009! Thanks for the pictures, Tim!

Author:  Stationary Steam [ Wed Dec 09, 2009 4:49 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: NH&I #9 sold to SMS shortline!

What was the cost of the move? Mainly interested in the rate for the heavy haul truck, how much the loco weighs and how many miles the trip was.

Author:  Afboone [ Thu Dec 10, 2009 2:13 am ]
Post subject:  Re: NH&I #9 sold to SMS shortline!

Rich, I think 2009 has been a big year, IMO, for steam engines.

SR 385-----Back in the public eye and looking awesome at Whippany (She is back in her former colors)
SR 401-----Back under steam at Monticello
SR 154-----Restoration moving nicely
DL&W 565---under active Restoration
The lost engines-------SAVED, glad I didn't bet Alex on that one! :)

Heck, those are the only ones I kinda been watching. I know there is more stuff going on.

Author:  Miketherailfan [ Thu Dec 10, 2009 11:05 am ]
Post subject:  Re: NH&I #9 sold to SMS shortline!

And NKP 765 came back and is pulling excursions again..

Author:  Mr. Ed [ Fri Dec 11, 2009 10:08 am ]
Post subject:  Re: NH&I #9 sold to SMS shortline!

I would hazard a guess that the move costs 20-25 grand.

Later!
Mr. Ed

Author:  Stationary Steam [ Fri Dec 11, 2009 3:58 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: NH&I #9 sold to SMS shortline!

That seems like an awfully high figure for a roll on-roll off arrangement not using any cranes.

I'm moving a GE 70 ton centercab next week. I'll bet it comes in at under 5k and I'm loading/unloading with cranes.

Page 1 of 3 All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group
http://www.phpbb.com/