It is currently Mon Sep 28, 2026 1:11 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: Kinzua Bridge
PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2010 11:30 pm 

Joined: Fri Apr 16, 2010 11:12 pm
Posts: 1
Does anyone have technical drawings for the Late Kinzua Viaduct.
I am leading a discussion group for novice engineers regarding the symmetry of steel structures and the applied effects of wind and flex factors.
Regardless of the physical reasons for the bridges demise, the bridge stood for over 100 years and until it was presented with a the F1 Tornado, would have stood more with routine maintenance.
The structure was somewhat unique with its interior "Oval Shaped" Brace design.
I'm new to the group, thanks for the listen.


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Kinzua Bridge
PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2010 11:50 pm 

Joined: Wed Apr 21, 2010 3:28 am
Posts: 108
Location: York, PA
I'm new to the group too.

I don't have drawings, however here's a link to the information in the Library of Congress HABS/HAER Collection.

http://hdl.loc.gov/loc.pnp/hhh.pa0576

Hope that helps.

Best Regards,
John

_________________
John Frantz

York, PA
Crossroads of the Maryland & Pennsylvania, Pennsylvania and Western Maryland Railroads.


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Kinzua Bridge
PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 8:19 am 

Joined: Sun Aug 22, 2004 5:55 pm
Posts: 1115
Location: Warren, PA
There was a reasonably sophisticated forensic analysis done of the failure and the storm - to the point it was structurally animated. You have to have structural drawings to do that.

There's a video out on somebody's web page analyzing the collapse.

The rehab program that was underway also had some drawings prepared - particularly at the tower legs to the foundations, which was the major point of corrosion to the point of perforation.

Do some more digging online and with PHMC/PA Parks, you'll find them out there somewhere.


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Kinzua Bridge
PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2015 7:49 am 

Joined: Mon Jul 20, 2015 9:39 am
Posts: 2
Understanding this is a really old post, but I will give it a shot anyway.

Did you ever find any good, useable, technical drawings for the Kinzua Viaduct/Bridge? (the steel one that collapsed...)

I need them for similar reasons.

Or, if anybody else, perchance has managed to track them down, well I could put them to really good use.

Thanks.


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Kinzua Bridge
PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2015 6:51 pm 

https://failures.wikispaces.com/Kinzua+Bridge

Unfortunately the state DCNR has decided to remove the official report, linked from the attached, from the internet. I'll check around to see if anyone archieved it before it went down the memory hole. No doubt the contractor working on the bridge at the time had a good set of drawings in order to know how many rivets to remove.

RIP, K&K.


  
 
 Post subject: Re: Kinzua Bridge
PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2015 10:59 am 

Joined: Sun Oct 24, 2010 6:22 pm
Posts: 275
nickbnwd wrote:
https://failures.wikispaces.com/Kinzua+Bridge

Unfortunately the state DCNR has decided to remove the official report, linked from the attached, from the internet. I'll check around to see if anyone archieved it before it went down the memory hole. No doubt the contractor working on the bridge at the time had a good set of drawings in order to know how many rivets to remove.

RIP, K&K.


https://web.archive.org/web/20120426172 ... /main.html

CD


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Kinzua Bridge
PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2015 11:23 am 

Joined: Mon Jul 20, 2015 9:39 am
Posts: 2
AWWW ----You guys are awesome!

While I didn't actually find exactly what I was looking for in the posted web archive, I found some ancillary information which will prove helpful for other aspects of what I am working on.

Thank you so much for posting what you have....its extremely interesting and helpful.

-Jeff


Offline
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Jump to: